The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Set position stop

Question. In College and Fed I know a complete and discernable stop is required. I have also read that in the Pro game, a little leeway is given. Had an Indy pro game last night. Ex MLB pitcher on the mound. I am U3. A few times while in "C" I could have called a balk in the College or Fed game but left it alone as I have watched countless hours of MLB on TV and in person. He stopped. But not very long. Your thoughts on the difference?
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

He stopped, that's the entire requirement. If there was a problem the 3B coach would have been in your ear.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1 View Post
He stopped, that's the entire requirement. If there was a problem the 3B coach would have been in your ear.
That was my thought. They're not shy.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
Question. In College and Fed I know a complete and discernable stop is required. I have also read that in the Pro game, a little leeway is given. Had an Indy pro game last night. Ex MLB pitcher on the mound. I am U3. A few times while in "C" I could have called a balk in the College or Fed game but left it alone as I have watched countless hours of MLB on TV and in person. He stopped. But not very long. Your thoughts on the difference?
I'd say you did the right thing by letting it go. If you thought the pitcher didn't come to a good stop because he was trying catch R1 flat footed and hence hold him on better than a balk should've run through mind. If you weren't sure that was the case because it was just the normally came set, as SoCal said, the 3B coach (probably manager too in Indy ball) would've given you his opinion.
Either way, next time, when you have the opportunity, after a batted ball, call time to 'check the ball' and discretely tell him to come to a 'good stop'. It'll let him know he's close to balking.

Last edited by umpjayfire; Fri Jun 19, 2009 at 09:00am.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
How long does a complete and discernible stop have to be? Even the pros have to do that. And, a "good stop" is a complete and discernible stop. Is it not? If he wasn't stopping, it is a balk but apparently the other team didn't think it was so it wasn't apparently.

I am not questioning whether or not you should have called it. I am questioning the definition of a "complete and discernible" stop. What determines that?
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I have also worked games that ex MLB players have played. Sometimes because of thier pro experience they will try and use tactics that are borderline balks and as already stated a little reminder is all that is needed.
"Hey 15, give me a good stop so this 3B coach ain't all over my butt. Appreciate it." Never , ever had any other response than "Sure Blue".

Had a left -handed ex minor ball pitcher that had an excellent move to first. However all season long because of the two man system it was difficult to get a full look at how long he was hanging his right foot out there in the move to first, and it was always borderline on final placement. We would have conversations all the time about it and he would always just smile. I was at 1B for the League Championship game and balked him for the move that brought in the go ahead run. His only comment afterwards was "good call." Which is probably another topic here, but I found that the ex-pro pitchers usually gave you a lot more respect out there.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
How long does a complete and discernible stop have to be? Even the pros have to do that. And, a "good stop" is a complete and discernible stop. Is it not? If he wasn't stopping, it is a balk but apparently the other team didn't think it was so it wasn't apparently.

I am not questioning whether or not you should have called it. I am questioning the definition of a "complete and discernible" stop. What determines that?
If you can see it, it's discernable. If you can't, it's not.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

From watching the Mets-O's game last night with F-Rod pitching, I'd say they give alot of lee-way on the stop.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
From watching the Mets-O's game last night with F-Rod pitching, I'd say they give alot of lee-way on the stop.
Not really. In OBR you don't have to stop with no runners on base.

K-Rod often doesn't stop with no runners on but ususlly has a pretty long stop with runners on.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Runners were on base! His stop was very borderline. (more of a change of direction)

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?t...d=bal&c_id=bal
Select NYM@Bal Huff's line drive single. (actually one of his better stops, but still borderline IMO)

Last edited by JR12; Sat Jun 20, 2009 at 12:47am.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

If you ever watched Mariano Rivera's set, he has 3 "stops" before he actually comes set.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 08:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Runners were on base! His stop was very borderline. (more of a change of direction)

orioles.com: Multimedia
Select NYM@Bal Huff's line drive single. (actually one of his better stops, but still borderline IMO)
In that list of videos, there's a BAL double off the wall (against PHL) with R1 only that shows a great example of 4-man umpiring. Relatively close play at the plate -- U1 has rotated down and calls the runner safe.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 08:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

orioles.com: Multimedia
I found it, although it wasn't easy.

Borderline, my a$$. In the "real world" this is clearly a no-stop balk. They simply don't call that in the Major Leagues anymore.
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I found it, although it wasn't easy.

Borderline, my a$$. In the "real world" this is clearly a no-stop balk. They simply don't call that in the Major Leagues anymore.
I can't get the video to load, but generally, with men on, K-Rod's stop comes before the downward movement of his glove which commits him (which I agree is clearly a change of direction only).
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
I am questioning the definition of a "complete and discernible" stop. What determines that?

According to Evan's balk video -- the hands finish moving down before the leg begins moving up.