The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Video Review in MLB

Yesterday in the Boston @ Philly game, in the 11th inning, a Pinch Hitter for the Phils hit one a ton. I went out over the Right Field pole...When I say "over", I mean the height of the ball was amazing...much higher than the pole. And, it was close. Jim Joyce called it foul but he did not do it as quickly as they normally do.

Charlie Manuel wanted them to review it and I could see Joyce say we are not going to do that(or words to that effect)

The TV angles that I was showed that it was extremely close but, the replay could not show whether it was fair or foul. Why would they not look at it?

What is the criteria on when you do it and when you don't. It looked like if there were a situation to do it, this was it.

Joe
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Yesterday in the Boston @ Philly game, in the 11th inning, a Pinch Hitter for the Phils hit one a ton. I went out over the Right Field pole...When I say "over", I mean the height of the ball was amazing...much higher than the pole. And, it was close. Jim Joyce called it foul but he did not do it as quickly as they normally do.

Charlie Manuel wanted them to review it and I could see Joyce say we are not going to do that(or words to that effect)

The TV angles that I was showed that it was extremely close but, the replay could not show whether it was fair or foul. Why would they not look at it?

What is the criteria on when you do it and when you don't. It looked like if there were a situation to do it, this was it.

Joe
Coach:

Umpire (crew) judgement is the criteria, not the coaches' request. No red flags in baseball, yet.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Coach:

Umpire (crew) judgement is the criteria, not the coaches' request. No red flags in baseball, yet.
I knew there were no red flags. I have never seen a homerun call tougher and closer than this one. I just wonder if this crew chief is not going to review this one, is he going to review anything?

Umpires: HP: Bill Miller. 1B: Jim Joyce. 2B: Brian Runge. 3B: Derryl Cousins. Which one of these guys is the chief?
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I knew there were no red flags. I have never seen a homerun call tougher and closer than this one. I just wonder if this crew chief is not going to review this one, is he going to review anything?

Umpires: HP: Bill Miller. 1B: Jim Joyce. 2B: Brian Runge. 3B: Derryl Cousins. Which one of these guys is the chief?
Cousins. Although Joyce is probably one of the most experienced non-crew-chiefs in MLB.

I'm a Phillies fan and the non-review really didn't bother me. The review wouldn't have shown anything anyway.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Cousins. Although Joyce is probably one of the most experienced non-crew-chiefs in MLB.

I'm a Phillies fan and the non-review really didn't bother me. The review wouldn't have shown anything anyway.
I thought when they first came out with it I read that there were certain criteria that had to be met for review and this would not be one of them.

I may be wrong but I thought it had to do something with the fences etc.,

Just wondering...

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Info still available

Rule applies to all home run calls.
Quote:
For now, video will be used only on so-called "boundary calls," such as determining whether fly balls went over the fence, whether potential home runs were fair or foul and whether there was fan interference on potential home runs.
MLB approves replay in series that start Thursday - MLB - ESPN
Now it doesn't mention when a crew may deny the manager's request asking for the review.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Jun 13, 2009 at 01:23pm.