The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Video Review in MLB (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53609-video-review-mlb.html)

jwwashburn Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:31am

Video Review in MLB

Yesterday in the Boston @ Philly game, in the 11th inning, a Pinch Hitter for the Phils hit one a ton. I went out over the Right Field pole...When I say "over", I mean the height of the ball was amazing...much higher than the pole. And, it was close. Jim Joyce called it foul but he did not do it as quickly as they normally do.

Charlie Manuel wanted them to review it and I could see Joyce say we are not going to do that(or words to that effect)

The TV angles that I was showed that it was extremely close but, the replay could not show whether it was fair or foul. Why would they not look at it?

What is the criteria on when you do it and when you don't. It looked like if there were a situation to do it, this was it.

Joe

MrUmpire Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 608653)
Yesterday in the Boston @ Philly game, in the 11th inning, a Pinch Hitter for the Phils hit one a ton. I went out over the Right Field pole...When I say "over", I mean the height of the ball was amazing...much higher than the pole. And, it was close. Jim Joyce called it foul but he did not do it as quickly as they normally do.

Charlie Manuel wanted them to review it and I could see Joyce say we are not going to do that(or words to that effect)

The TV angles that I was showed that it was extremely close but, the replay could not show whether it was fair or foul. Why would they not look at it?

What is the criteria on when you do it and when you don't. It looked like if there were a situation to do it, this was it.

Joe

Coach:

Umpire (crew) judgement is the criteria, not the coaches' request. No red flags in baseball, yet.

jwwashburn Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 608654)
Coach:

Umpire (crew) judgement is the criteria, not the coaches' request. No red flags in baseball, yet.

I knew there were no red flags. I have never seen a homerun call tougher and closer than this one. I just wonder if this crew chief is not going to review this one, is he going to review anything?

Umpires: HP: Bill Miller. 1B: Jim Joyce. 2B: Brian Runge. 3B: Derryl Cousins. Which one of these guys is the chief?

Rich Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 608656)
I knew there were no red flags. I have never seen a homerun call tougher and closer than this one. I just wonder if this crew chief is not going to review this one, is he going to review anything?

Umpires: HP: Bill Miller. 1B: Jim Joyce. 2B: Brian Runge. 3B: Derryl Cousins. Which one of these guys is the chief?

Cousins. Although Joyce is probably one of the most experienced non-crew-chiefs in MLB.

I'm a Phillies fan and the non-review really didn't bother me. The review wouldn't have shown anything anyway.

David B Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 608658)
Cousins. Although Joyce is probably one of the most experienced non-crew-chiefs in MLB.

I'm a Phillies fan and the non-review really didn't bother me. The review wouldn't have shown anything anyway.

I thought when they first came out with it I read that there were certain criteria that had to be met for review and this would not be one of them.

I may be wrong but I thought it had to do something with the fences etc.,

Just wondering...

Thanks
David

SAump Sat Jun 13, 2009 01:20pm

Info still available

Rule applies to all home run calls.
Quote:

For now, video will be used only on so-called "boundary calls," such as determining whether fly balls went over the fence, whether potential home runs were fair or foul and whether there was fan interference on potential home runs.
MLB approves replay in series that start Thursday - MLB - ESPN
Now it doesn't mention when a crew may deny the manager's request asking for the review.