Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Why not another? 9U play

This happened Sunday.

We had a runner on 1st, 0 out

Grounder to 1B, tags first and throws to second and nails our runner in the back. He whimpers. I am coaching first and yell for him to get to the base...2B tags him 5 feet from the base and BU calls him safe and calls time.

I jog out to check on the kid and the BU is hearing all sorts of exasperated hollering from the Defensive team's dugout. After about 90 seconds, I convince the kid that he is ok and when I turn around, BU says I think he should be out. I said, "Nope, too late. You called him safe." I turned around and jogged away and heard him say but, but....I never looked back.

The PU told me a couple of innings later that the BU had thought that the runner was awarded the base because he was hit.

Joe in Missuri
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
This happened Sunday.

We had a runner on 1st, 0 out

Grounder to 1B, tags first and throws to second and nails our runner in the back. He whimpers. I am coaching first and yell for him to get to the base...2B tags him 5 feet from the base and BU calls him safe and calls time.

I jog out to check on the kid and the BU is hearing all sorts of exasperated hollering from the Defensive team's dugout. After about 90 seconds, I convince the kid that he is ok and when I turn around, BU says I think he should be out. I said, "Nope, too late. You called him safe." I turned around and jogged away and heard him say but, but....I never looked back.

The PU told me a couple of innings later that the BU had thought that the runner was awarded the base because he was hit.

Joe in Missuri
Joe,

So, if I'm reading you right, you just wanted to let everyone know that you choose to behave as a rat when you are coaching freaking 9U games, where you very likely have poorly-trained, inexperienced youth umpires. And that you find some sort of humor in the situation.

Interesting.

JM
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Train your umpires better.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 10:26pm

Hey, if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Joe,

So, if I'm reading you right, you just wanted to let everyone know that you choose to behave as a rat when you are coaching freaking 9U games, where you very likely have poorly-trained, inexperienced youth umpires. And that you find some sort of humor in the situation.

Interesting.

JM
He deserved what he got from the Defensive team. He was at least 18 years old-an adult. If this moron does not the rules or the first thing about umpiring, then do not come out on the field. If he got OBS and INT confused, that would be one thing but, this was ridiculous-he just made up a rule.

If he had CALLED him out that would have been one thing...he just told me what he thought...so I politely told him what I thought and jogged away. I did not argue. I did not yell. I smiled.

Joe in Missouri
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Hey, if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.
Now, to be accurate...I did not cheat!

When I played 1B in HS baseball, I used an illegal Softball sized mitt(think Dodge Pinto sized) THAT was cheating! But, I needed every bit of help I could get.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 11:53pm
Archaic Power Monger

I think you need to come to grips with the fact this is 9U ball and it is what it is.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I think you need to come to grips with the fact this is 9U ball and it is what it is.
What in the world makes you think that I do not have a grip on the fact that the kids are 9U?

I am having a blast and our kids are smiling constantly...I cannot say that for many of the teams that we have faced.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He deserved what he got from the Defensive team. He was at least 18 years old-an adult. If this moron does not the rules or the first thing about umpiring, then do not come out on the field. If he got OBS and INT confused, that would be one thing but, this was ridiculous-he just made up a rule.

If he had CALLED him out that would have been one thing...he just told me what he thought...so I politely told him what I thought and jogged away. I did not argue. I did not yell. I smiled.

Joe in Missouri
If you are an experienced umpire, you should have performed an honorable service to this young umpire as a mentor. You could have taken the high road; instead you crawled into a rat hole.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 01:14am.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Joe in Missouri
Well, okay! You (who are an umpire and know the rules) did a great job of mentoring the "18 year old moron". You also did a great job of showing why I have said for years that umpire/coaches are just rats dressed up.

What comes around - goes around, chief! You'll get payback when you are in uniform!
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
What in the world makes you think that I do not have a grip on the fact that the kids are 9U?
Might have something to do with this statement:

Quote:
9U baseball - obviously dealing with inexperienced umpires and you're here bragging about how you put one over on him. Your apparent glee over this situation speaks volumes. 9-friggin-U baseball! And earlier in the week you're complaining about what an umpire claims he can and can't see.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Joe , I think your more interested in winning the games than your kids. 9 under and the umpiring is bad? You need the grip baby.

Did you know all the rules when you started? Doubt it.

As smart as you seem to be, you have'nt figured out yet why we keeping shooting bullets at you. Bullets you supply us with. Don't worry, we all grow up sooner or later. One word of advise though.

RESPECT.

Have a nice day!!!
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Joe,

Interesting.

JM
I am not sure why you go right into the name calling. He went out there and told the ump he thought his own runner should be out. Now everyone accuses him of cheating?

If a coach would have come out to an umpire complaining that his runner should be awarded a base because he was hit with a ball while trying to advance, many people on this forum would be making fun of that coach left and right. But because the umpire made a bad call, now its the coach's fault for not mentoring him? I mean how many coach's come out in the first place and tell an umpire that he thinks his runner should be out? It has never happened to me.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago11 View Post
I am not sure why you go right into the name calling. He went out there and told the ump he thought his own runner should be out. Now everyone accuses him of cheating?

....... I mean how many coach's come out in the first place and tell an umpire that he thinks his runner should be out? It has never happened to me.
Read the OP again! The coach didnt say his runner was out, but that he was safe!
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

chicago11,

I'm not sure what thread you're reading...

Joe, by his own account, did NOT tell the ump his runner was out. Rather, when the ump realized he probably blew the call (thanks to the helpful input of the team disadvantaged) Joe told him he couldn't change it. Which is, of course, wrong.

So, he's teaching 9 year old kids that it's OK to cheat as long as you gain some personal advantage and that pre-emptive intimidation is the preferred tactic when you are in a position to use it.

What thread are you reading?

JM