The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Batter Granted Time after F1 in Set position

Can someone clarify this for me please? I had a partner, call time at the request of the batter after the pitcher became SET. He stated the pitcher paused longer than normal so therefore he granted the time out. Per Rule 6.02 noted below, I did not think you could grant a Time Out. Correct?

Is there a time limit for the pitcher after he becomes Set? I know he has 12 seconds to deliver the pitch after receiving the ball.

Rule 6.02(B) Umpires will not call “Time” at the request of the batter or any member of his team once the pitcher has started his windup or has come to a SET position even though the batter claims “dust in his eyes,” “steamed glasses,” “didn’t get the sign” or for any other cause.

Thanks in advance!
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
Can someone clarify this for me please? I had a partner, call time at the request of the batter after the pitcher became SET. He stated the pitcher paused longer than normal so therefore he granted the time out. Per Rule 6.02 noted below, I did not think you could grant a Time Out. Correct?

Is there a time limit for the pitcher after he becomes Set? I know he has 12 seconds to deliver the pitch after receiving the ball.

Rule 6.02(B) Umpires will not call “Time” at the request of the batter or any member of his team once the pitcher has started his windup or has come to a SET position even though the batter claims “dust in his eyes,” “steamed glasses,” “didn’t get the sign” or for any other cause.

Thanks in advance!
He has 12 seconds if there's no one on base. If there's a runner, there's no time limit (in the rules).

Yes, if it's "too long" (and that's umpire discretion), grant time.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 09:19pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I interpret that portion (dust in my eyes) of the rule to be when the pitcher is in the act of pitching the ball. I played enough ball to know that when the pitcher is pausing for what feels like a long time I ask for time...it's a good reset for everybody.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

I even anticipate the batter calling time after that seemingly long pause, and jump right out with it as soon as he calls it. The batter's in peril if he can't see or is having some kind of distraction. I grant time to batters very generously if there's a prolonged set.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 02:45am

Hell, I've called time for that without the batter requesting it. Had catcher's thank me for it, too! I Don't appreciate anticipating a pitch, locking in the scissors, then balancing like a statue while Slow Ginfizz figures out whether or not he wants to throw the ball.

Now, if I see that there is a potential play on, that's different. I will deny any requests for time if I see F6 or F4 sneaking in behind the runner.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25