Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I was not prepared for the number of lunkheads who were going to try to convince me that a coach should help the umpire make calls and understand rules. And, that a coach should get his runner called out because the umpire does not know the rules.
There is a difference between helping someone learn the rules and intentionally lying to them in an attempt to gain an advantage for one's team. You knew that he could have called the runner out after the play but you told him that he was not allowed to do so. You lied to him about a rule. It would be no different if your team was on defense and the batter was hit by the pitch in the hand and you went out and told the umpre that the batter doesn't get first base because the hands are part of the bat. You know that isn't the truth but you go out there and lie to him to gain an advantage.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
I can't imagine anyone demanding $50 per game for 2 games at most 10 miles away from home.
$65 [US, not CDN] per and I live less than 2 miles from the fields.

If I were willing to drive 20 miles and do a solo, $75 per; and they are glad to pay it.

You must live somewhere there are a surplus of umpires.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
I posted it for fun. I thought it would be a hoot to watch the "false piety" lobby make fools of themselves.

They really outdid themselves, though.
Suspicion confirmed.

An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

OR

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
$65 [US, not CDN] per and I live less than 2 miles from the fields.

If I were willing to drive 20 miles and do a solo, $75 per; and they are glad to pay it.

You must live somewhere there are a surplus of umpires.
I don't work 1-man games. Minimum Fee - $65/game (7 Inn). There is a league that pays $90 for 9 innings (Youth games).
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
I can't imagine anyone demanding $50 per game for 2 games at most 10 miles away from home.
I can't imagine working for less.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

I simply reject the "I was wearing my coach had at the time" argument as it pertains to this situation. I subscribe to the "once an official ALWAYS an official" camp. As an official, lying to ANYONE (even cell phone mcgee) to gain a competitive advantage in amateur athletics is simply beneath me.

Too bad it's not beneath you, Joe.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I simply reject the "I was wearing my coach had at the time" argument as it pertains to this situation. I subscribe to the "once an official ALWAYS an official" camp. As an official, lying to ANYONE (even cell phone mcgee) to gain a competitive advantage in amateur athletics is simply beneath me.

Too bad it's not beneath you, Joe.
Some have said I was lying. I do not think saying: "Nope, too late. You called him safe" was a lie.

I already said that the best case scenario, I would have been able to keep my mouth shut(of course, for many people here, even THAT would not have been good enough...for them I should have been told the umpire to call my guy out)

I was expressing my opinion that it was too late and I did not want him change his mind. I certainly did not state that the rules preclude him from changing his mind. He did not know I am an umpire. My comment was not given or taken as an authoritative commentary on the OBR. The only reason he was considering changing his mind was too placate the other team who were hollering at him. He was just a wimp trying to please the other team. If I had gotten any notion that this guy gave a flying crap about doing a good job, I would have never said anything. If he had been a kid instead of an adult, I would not have said anything.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Rats

Since the other thread was closed before I could respond to your post, I will put it here.
Quote:
If you see a player or coach tell you NO CATCH, Blue. You would have a moron on your hands.

Are you insinuating that a player that does not make a clean catch should ask the umpire to overturn the out? I hope I am misunderstanding you.

Joe
You want to know why coaches and players are referred to as "rats" in general. You have proven why in this thread. You knew what you told the umpire was wrong. You told it to him anyway hoping he would(and did) believe you and not make the correct call. This is being a "rat" as it is put. Find as many ways as possible to bend or break the rules and hope the officials don't catch it. That is why the term "Rat" is given to coaches. It has nothing to do with the confrontational ones. It has everything to do with the nature of many coaches.

And, if the player does fess up to not catching a fly ball, then he is showing morals to not cheat to win. He knew he missed it and did not lie about it. I can't believe you called an honest player a moron. You have clearly showed you are a wolf in sheep's clothing on the field(coach dressed up like an umpire). And, you wonder why so many attack you when you post things. You are always negative toward umpires who do not agree with you hence your other thread. And, you attempt to convince umpires they are wrong when they are right. And, you wonder why coaches/players are referred to as "Rats". Go figure.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some have said I was lying. I do not think saying: "Nope, too late. You called him safe" was a lie.

Coach:

Then you must think it is the truth.

That's different. You aren't unethical, you're just ignorant of the rules. Hopefully you'll brush up before putting your umpire hat back on.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sat Jun 13, 2009 at 10:50am.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
Since the other thread was closed before I could respond to your post, I will put it here.

You want to know why coaches and players are referred to as "rats" in general. You have proven why in this thread. You knew what you told the umpire was wrong. You told it to him anyway hoping he would(and did) believe you and not make the correct call. This is being a "rat" as it is put. Find as many ways as possible to bend or break the rules and hope the officials don't catch it. That is why the term "Rat" is given to coaches. It has nothing to do with the confrontational ones. It has everything to do with the nature of many coaches.

And, if the player does fess up to not catching a fly ball, then he is showing morals to not cheat to win. He knew he missed it and did not lie about it. I can't believe you called an honest player a moron. You have clearly showed you are a wolf in sheep's clothing on the field(coach dressed up like an umpire). And, you wonder why so many attack you when you post things. You are always negative toward umpires who do not agree with you hence your other thread. And, you attempt to convince umpires they are wrong when they are right. And, you wonder why coaches/players are referred to as "Rats". Go figure.

Any player that says, "No, I did not catch it" is a moron and also benched.

I think I did nail it on the head for some of you in the piety lobby...A player or coach or manager should help the umpire who screwed up a call in their favor or they are rats. But, they only should help the umpire fix his call if the umpire erred in their favor.

The insanity of your position cannot be overstated.

Why should a coach or manager help the umpire but not the reverse?

Last edited by jwwashburn; Sat Jun 13, 2009 at 10:57am.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think I did nail it on the head for some of you in the piety lobby...A player or coach or manager should help the umpire who screwed up a call in their favor or they are rats. But, only should they help the umpire fix his call if the umpire erred In their favor.

The insanity of your position cannot be overstated.

Why should a coach or manager help the umpire but not the reverse?
I didn't say they should. I said those who do what you did are referred to as "rats". It is amazing how you defend cheating. Yet, you try to be an umpire. Your integrity as an umpire would be shot if the other coaches knew what you do. And, well, your integrity as a coach is already shot b/c coaches have no integrity.

I said those who do not do what you did show integrity and morals. Not "cheat to win at all costs" idea.

Every post you make shows why coaches are perceived as "rats". I can't believe you don't see it but you clearly don't. Keep being a rat with each post.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
I didn't say they should. I said those who do what you did are referred to as "rats". It is amazing how you defend cheating. Yet, you try to be an umpire. Your integrity as an umpire would be shot if the other coaches knew what you do. And, well, your integrity as a coach is already shot b/c coaches have no integrity.

I said those who do not do what you did show integrity and morals. Not "cheat to win at all costs" idea.

Every post you make shows why coaches are perceived as "rats". I can't believe you don't see it but you clearly don't. Keep being a rat with each post.
I am just curious here, GA UMPIRE...if that is your real name...

Have you ever called a pitch a strike and then realized it was a ball? Did you change it for the integrity of the game? Have you ever called a pitch a strike that you KNEW was a ball? Have you ever given a "ball off the plate" as your strike zone? Have you ever called a guy out on a ball out of the zone because he was a jerk on strike two? Have you ever called a guy safe or out and then realized you kicked the call. Did you then tell everyone that you blew it and changed the call? Do you criticize umpires for doing any of these things? How about the umpires that laugh about getting outs and strikes that don't exist? What about the umpires who call guys out because "the ball was there"...even if the tag was not.

You want an outfielder to say "NO! I did not catch it! call him SAFE!" You take the cake.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Sat Jun 13, 2009 at 11:09am.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am just curious here, GA UMPIRE...if that is your real name...

Have you ever called a pitch a strike and then realized it was a ball? Did you change it for the integrity of the game? Have you ever called a pitch a strike that you KNEW was a ball? Have you ever given a "ball off the plate" as your strike zone? Have you ever called a guy out n a ball out of the zone because he was a jerk on strike two? Have you ever criticized an umpire for doing the same? Have you ever called a guy safe or out and then realized you kicked the call. Did you then tell everyone that you blew it and changed the call?

You want an outfielder to say "NO! I did not catch it! call him SAFE!" You take the cake.
A person's integrity and integrity of the game are 2 totally different things.

Integrity of the game is calling the game within the rules. If the umpire blows the call, he has not ruined the integrity of the game. He just missed it. And, a judgment call does not change just b/c the umpire may think he blew the judgment. If there is a rule misapplied(as in your play), then the judgment call can be changed such as first baseman's foot comes off the bag. All of that still upholds the integrity of the game b/c it is part of the game and rules.

A player/coach informing the umpire of what the correct call is shows integrity of the person. Doesn't mean the call will change. It just means the person has morals and integrity. And, that goes a long way. Just like when an umpire knows a coach/player is a "rat". He does not get the benefit of the doubt at that point b/c he will do/say anything to get an advantage.

I'm not saying you have to do that by no means. All I am saying is don't question why others attack you when you pull "rat" tactics and come on here to brag about them. Do what you want. If you get busted, well, then you deserve the treatment you get such as close plays not going your way. Or, your fellow coaches giving you he!! as an umpire b/c they already know the levels you will stoop to. That is all I am saying.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And this sends what message to the player?
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
And this sends what message to the player?
Right. If the player doesn't cheat with the coach, then he sits down b/c he is showing integrity.

OMG, a 9 y/o has more integrity than an adult and shows it.