LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Toss a midget
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
I was working a summer men's league game (local college players) last night. In the bottom half of the third inning the batter asked for time and I did not grant it because the pitcher had begun his motion. The batter struck out swinging.

In the top half of the next inning the catcher set up well off the plate. The pitcher threw a high fast right over my head and the catcher did not move. He had caught and blocked everything thus far. The ball whistled by my helmet. The catcher claimed he was crossed up but the bench was laughing asking him if he called for it.

What can you do in this situation?
this happened in a HS game (i think state playoffs) last year and made news on ESPN for a few days. The catcher actually dropped to his knees like he was blocking a 59' curveball and the fastball i believe hit the ump right in the face (or maybe sailed over his head).
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 02:19pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
this happened in a HS game (i think state playoffs) last year and made news on ESPN for a few days. The catcher actually dropped to his knees like he was blocking a 59' curveball and the fastball i believe hit the ump right in the face (or maybe sailed over his head).
Andthe pitcher lost his college scholarship. The college coach indicated that his team didn't need a person of such little moral character.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 02:21pm
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
w sohl,
You may be remiss at your comment about the Klan being non-educated. At the turn of the century during the hey day of the KKK, they were very educated and included many members of government as well as academia. These members are not to be confused with the current neo nazis that claim Klan association.
Obviously they wern't educated enough. Someone who promotes this kind of hate can't be to intelligent no matter what their book smarts claim. Ohhh, it was just meant to be a joke, humor.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
Andthe pitcher lost his college scholarship. The college coach indicated that his team didn't need a person of such little moral character.
The catcher lost his walk on invitation as well. It happened here in GA. The umpire was even looking into a lawsuit. I don't know what happened to that. I hope he won lots of money to show this will not be tolerated. I know the school was fined for it.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 02:22pm
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
The catcher lost his walk on invitation as well. It happened here in GA. The umpire was even looking into a lawsuit. I don't know what happened to that. I hope he won lots of money to show this will not be tolerated. I know the school was fined for it.
I don't think the ump pursued the issue.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 03:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

My Sundays are free now because this happened to me last season with adult players. I ejected the catcher, pitcher, and manager and within minutes, the game was forfeited. When the league didn't properly handle the aftermath, I decided I'd never work another game for that league as long as the current leadership is part of it.

Now I have a 20-game plan to the Brewers, play golf, and hang with my family. I haven't umpired on Sunday all season. The league doesn't miss me. Win, win.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
My Sundays are free now because this happened to me last season with adult players. I ejected the catcher, pitcher, and manager and within minutes, the game was forfeited. When the league didn't properly handle the aftermath, I decided I'd never work another game for that league as long as the current leadership is part of it.

Now I have a 20-game plan to the Brewers, play golf, and hang with my family. I haven't umpired on Sunday all season. The league doesn't miss me. Win, win.
Rich, good for you! I went home looked for my first open weekend and blocked it. I had the bases last night at the same field. Spoke with the plate umpire who told me guys are already giving their games back due to more BS. Last year an email went out to all umpires and managers. The email outlined the ejection procedure, player conduct, etc. Very few problems. This year an email was not sent out.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 05:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

Thanks for Tony Gwynn. I hope you are enjoying Gerut.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Toss a salad...
hahahahaha!