The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

According to the silly line drawn, it's at the hollow of the knee below the kneecap. I've got a strike here all day long. Hit the damn ball; that's what you get paid for and what everyone's there to see you do.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
According to the silly line drawn, it's at the hollow of the knee below the kneecap. I've got a strike here all day long. Hit the damn ball; that's what you get paid for and what everyone's there to see you do.
Let's remember that the knee is actually 5 or 6 inches in length if you include the hollow beneath the knee. The hollow is borderline unhittable in my opinion. A lot of curveballs and splitters pass the hallow at the plate but end up in the dirt- what are you going to call that pitch? The other potential problem with calling the hallow is that it could lead to more wild pitches.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
The hollow is borderline unhittable in my opinion.
That's why pitchers try to throw there.

Quote:
A lot of curveballs and splitters pass the hallow at the plate but end up in the dirt- what are you going to call that pitch?
Ball, probably

Quote:
The other potential problem with calling the hallow is that it could lead to more wild pitches.
???
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I called a big bender a ball yesterday, because it was scooped a couple inches off the ground. But the batter was up in the box and after rethinking it, I left it low because it was borderline as it crossed (hollow of the knee) and it was caught like it was low. The pitcher threw a borderline strike, and the catcher caught a ball.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I called a big bender a ball yesterday, because it was scooped a couple inches off the ground. But the batter was up in the box and after rethinking it, I left it low because it was borderline as it crossed (hollow of the knee) and it was caught like it was low. The pitcher threw a borderline strike, and the catcher caught a ball.
Not a big deal. This evens out with the big bender that crosses at the shoulders and is caught belt high. I was told many years ago that the curve ball in the dirt is intended to make the batter swing, not thrown for a strike. I'll acknowledge the pitcher's intention and call this a ball if the batter lays off the pitch.

Last edited by waltjp; Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 02:45pm.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

It has to be tough being a pitcher who's living on the big bender, because the pitches we each described are difficult to call a strike.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
But the batter was up in the box ....
Huh? How does the batter's position in the box affect the strike zone?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let's remember that the knee is actually 5 or 6 inches in length if you include the hollow beneath the knee. The hollow is borderline unhittable in my opinion. A lot of curveballs and splitters pass the hallow at the plate but end up in the dirt- what are you going to call that pitch? The other potential problem with calling the hallow is that it could lead to more wild pitches.
Not if he moves up in the box. A pitch on the inside black is borderline unhittable for a guy crowding the plate; you gonna ball that pitch too? I get every strike I can, and the pitch at the bottom of the knee, especially on the outside corner, is my favorite pitch bar none when a guy's throwing it consistently.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Not a big deal. This evens out with the big bender that crosses at the shoulders and is caught belt high. I was told many years ago that the curve ball in the dirt is intended to make the batter swing, not thrown for a strike. I'll acknowledge the pitcher's intention and call this a ball if the batter lays off the pitch.
Good point. Give a bit extra to the pitcher on the high curveball, and take a bit away on the low curveball is a good idea to go with.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Not if he moves up in the box. A pitch on the inside black is borderline unhittable for a guy crowding the plate; you gonna ball that pitch too? I get every strike I can, and the pitch at the bottom of the knee, especially on the outside corner, is my favorite pitch bar none when a guy's throwing it consistently.
If he moves up in the box, a 90+ mph fastball is probably going to be almost as low as if he didn't move up, unless it was a Roy Halladay sinking fastball. The inside-outside corner is more relative because batters can adjust their distance from the plate. Will moving up in the box really help the batter hit a fastball before it reaches the hallow?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If he moves up in the box, a 90+ mph fastball is probably going to be almost as low as if he didn't move up, unless it was a Roy Halladay sinking fastball. The inside-outside corner is more relative because batters can adjust their distance from the plate. Will moving up in the box really help the batter hit a fastball before it reaches the hallow?
A batter's box is 4'x6'. A batter has more adjustment room from the pitcher than the plate, amigo.

Strike.