The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Over the past few seasons, I have witnessed what could only be called the slow decline of a few of our most veteran umpires. Guys who have led our assc. and are well-respected within our association, and outside of it. I have had some of our best younger guys notice it, too, and mention it to me. I have made one of them promise to be upfront with me when and if that day comes for me, and I have assured him I will go to a full-time mentoring role at that point.

Last edited by umpduck11; Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 11:25pm.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

A veteran umpire who cares about his craft can do a better job from a wheelchair than some of the clown acts that they tolerate at the PONY level and below. You'll always be welcome.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

I called my HS season back in January because I still had not recovered from the abdominal surgery. I was not up to speed on running but I could cheat through that. The big problem was that I was unable to dress for the plate due to the surgery. After thinking long and hard about it, I decided that I was not going to burden my fellow officials with not being able to perform fully. I also couldn't be caught without a partner as our association forbids calling the games from behind the mound.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Maybe you could recruit a GLM to help you dress, Ozzy....
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Dooohhh!
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 10:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Then he would really think long and hard about it!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
This is first year I have given a thought to giving it up. And I started thinking weeks ago, not at end of season, which is typically October here. I have reduced schedule already, over past few years. I still go when assignor calls, but I am beginning to dislike double headers...
Doubleheaders are all we get here in Iowa at the high school level. Frankly, I would prefer to do single games myself. For me, it's not as bad if I get the first game behind the plate, but I really don't like spending two hours out in the field on a humid 92 degree day then suiting up for another two hour game behind the plate. Reducing your schedule is a good way to maintain the enjoyment of working the games. I would bet that most guys work a lot early on in their careers because we are trying to get some experience and do favors for a lot of different assignors. My first year in baseball, between mid April to Mid July, I worked over 80 baseball games. It was too much, and I made the same mistake in basketball my first few years, working 5 or 6 days a week and multiple games on many days. I found that I enjoyed it a lot more working just a few days a week. After all, it isn't my job, just a hobby that pays a little extra walking around cash.