The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

multi game series umpire rotation

I've got a best of 7, best of 5, and a best of 3 series to assign to a 6 man crew. What is the alignment supposed to be?

For example, in the best of 3 series, for game 1, where do I have the umpires start out? My umps are in order of seniority: Crew Chief, Associate Crew Chief, Assistant Crew Chief, Umpire 4, Umpire 5, Umpire 6. I am doing standard rotation: HP->RF->LF->3B->2B->1B

In addition, for a single game playoff, is it better for the crew chief to have the plate or be at 1st base? Some ppl say that the crew chief outta be at 1B and have the 2nd most senior guy behind the plate...
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

The NCAA regionals use this for a 7 game format

HP / Off (Alt) / Third Base / Second Base / First Base / Off

This is so no one has to work more than 2 games in a day. I believe they also have the CC work games 1 and 7 on the plate if need be. As to where you plug everyone else, it is up to to you, but I would try and make sure your CC and #2 aren't off at the same time.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like the WS (best of 7) uses CC at home. The next best umpires go to 3rd, left field, and right field, either by seniority or by ratings with the 2nd highest in seniority or ratings (or combination) starting on the right field line in case of a game 6. The junior umpires start at 1b and 2b. Just IMHO what it looks like for WS.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I've got a best of 7, best of 5, and a best of 3 series to assign to a 6 man crew. What is the alignment supposed to be?

For example, in the best of 3 series, for game 1, where do I have the umpires start out? My umps are in order of seniority: Crew Chief, Associate Crew Chief, Assistant Crew Chief, Umpire 4, Umpire 5, Umpire 6. I am doing standard rotation: HP->RF->LF->3B->2B->1B

In addition, for a single game playoff, is it better for the crew chief to have the plate or be at 1st base? Some ppl say that the crew chief outta be at 1B and have the 2nd most senior guy behind the plate...
Allow me to ber heretical here, and suggest that you schedule based on MERIT, rather than seniority? BTW, you have a CC, an Assistant CC AND an "Associate" CC? YGTBSM - this has got to be a crew of Federal Govt employees [or academics] where titles like "Associate Deputy Assistant Undersecretary" are commonplace. But, back to my point ...

You want your best plate guy [which may NOT be one of the CC's] on the plate for the final game - assign him there. You want the best rules guys in the infield for the important games - don't assign them to the outfield lines. And while we're at it, you should select your Crew Chief(s) from the strogest Rules guys, not just based on Seniority or even mechanics talent; since in most schemes where there is a CC, that member of the crew, not the HPU is the final word on rules issues.

Since this is a "best of ..." deal, your scheduling may want to be "Dynamic", in the sense of responding to the series sitch, rather than the ordinal number of the game [Game 4 is more important at 3-0 than 1-2 [best-7]].

Last edited by cbfoulds; Mon May 25, 2009 at 03:40pm. Reason: ok, I can't spell
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Going with a Merit system would actually be the best. In a true Merit system the best umpire should call the plate for every game. 2nd best umpire- 1st base every game, 3rd best- 2nd base every game, 4th best- 3rd base every game, 5th best- lf line every game and 6th best- rf line every game. This would be a true Merit system and don't worry, Bill Klem used to work every game behind the plate, so it can be done.

But, if you want to give all the others a chance at the plate in a merit based system, then use the above merit system and let them rotate. Let the #1 be CC and work 1st game, let the 6th and 5th rated umpires work the 2nd and 3rd game on the plate respectively. Then 4th, 3rd and 2nd best. #1 ump would work the 7th game. This way, 5 & 6 have important games but do not have a deciding game on the plate.

In a 5 game series, if you want to give others a chance at the plate, the #1 starts and then the number 5 works 2nd game, 4 works 3rd game and number 3 works 4th game and number 2 works 5th game. Number 6 does not get to work plate in 5 game series.

Best of 3--wow, if you want a little rotation rather than just let #1 work all of them, maybe use 1&2 and then 1 again.

The rotations could be done any number of ways. You could just rotate #1-4 on the plate and not #5 & 6, or 1,2,3 and not 4,5,6. Good luck whatever you decide.

Oh yes, and congratulations to KD for working the WCC conference finals.

Last edited by tballump; Mon May 25, 2009 at 09:05pm.