The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

There was a recent 9 inning college baseball game that was played with a set rotation for the pitching staff. The starter went 2 innings, the next pitcher went 2, the next pitcher went 3, the last two pitchers went an inning a piece. The official scorer at the school gave the win to the starter since the pitching rotation was preset before the game began. I looked all over for the ruling on this, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know about this rule? I thought the starter had to go 5 regardless.

Thanks for the help!!
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Unless the game is shortened, the starter must go 5 innings to get the win.

I believe they relax this rule for All-Star games and perhaps spring training as well, but don't know the particulars.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Were there any lead changes during the game?

If the starter doesn't go 5, then (assuming there weren't any lead changes), I've heard a guideline of "most effective pitcher" during the game gets the win. I don't know how that can be applied by an official scorer though.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hounds33
There was a recent 9 inning college baseball game that was played with a set rotation for the pitching staff. The starter went 2 innings, the next pitcher went 2, the next pitcher went 3, the last two pitchers went an inning a piece. The official scorer at the school gave the win to the starter since the pitching rotation was preset before the game began. I looked all over for the ruling on this, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know about this rule? I thought the starter had to go 5 regardless.

Thanks for the help!!
In NCAA, the rule is something like, "if it is predetermined that 3 or more pitchers will be used, then the starter need not go 5 innings to get the win." It's a "scoring rule", so I'm not going to go look it up, but it is available on line.

Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA:

"By prearrangement, if three or more pitchers are to be used, the pitcher of record shall be considered the winning pitcher".

Bob