Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

OMFG. Lock it up.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

My issue is that it was said by a moderator who is supposed to conduct himself with more decency. It seemed like too much if any regular member said it, but very unprofessional considering the leadership position the poster is in.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
My issue is that it was said by a moderator who is supposed to conduct himself with more decency. It seemed like too much if any regular member said it, but very unprofessional considering the leadership position the poster is in.
Decency, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Do you see indecent things often?

Personally, I take little offense at words. I take much more offense at deeds.

Also, I figure God has a terrific and a little bit sick sense of humor. She'd have to.

I am amazed at some posters who decry "censorship" yet advocate censoring.

Maybe what they neeed is a site where they are in charge and can control others to their heart's content. Can you imagine that? OMFG!
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
I asked if Bob was drunk because the acronym he used was over the top in my mind. He then threw a canadian diss in there as if nationality has anything to do with being drunk.
YouTube - Great White North - Topic : Great White North
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 07:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Isn't it interesting that using F***ing and God together and lying about it is less offensive than someone objecting to it?

We must be tolerant of everything! Except someone who finds vulgar comments offensive-THAT person is not to be tolerated!

Joe In Missouri
Exactly. Those on "that" side of the issue preach tolerance, and are by far the least tolerant when it comes to people who profess faith in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Steve:

That is demonstrably false in this case. No one is asking any of the offended crowd not to post their offense. While, on the other hand those offended are asking for the offending post not to be posted.

So, who is being intolerant?

Not me. I don't give F if anyone posts OMFG or posts how they are offended by OMFG. Neither offends me.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun May 24, 2009 at 08:11pm.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Steve:

That is demonstrably false in this case. No one is asking any of the offended crowd not to post their offense. While, on the other hand those offended are asking for the offending post not to be posted.

So, who is being intolerant?

Not me. I don't give F if anyone posts OMFG or posts how they are offended by OMFG. Neither offends me.
Maybe it is false in this case, but very true in society in general. Just an observation.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Maybe it is false in this case, but very true in society in general. Just an observation.
More BS.

Tolerance does not involve forcing your beliefs on others, which is precisely what the religious right attempts to do and does on a daily basis. You tell me where the religious right has beliefs forced upon it.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

That should just about do it. I think I hear the jingling and jangling of keys.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
More BS.

Tolerance does not involve forcing your beliefs on others, which is precisely what the religious right attempts to do and does on a daily basis. You tell me where the religious right has beliefs forced upon it.
Try in England, where radical Islam is calling on the beheading of anyone who speaks against Islam. Speak out against Islam, or claim you are a Christian, and watch heads roll...literally.

There is a reason it's called "The Right." I don't see anyone shoving any beliefs down anyone's throat here. We just object to people using the Lord's name in vain.

By the way, the Bible instructs us to share the Gospel (good news of Jesus Christ) with everyone (that includes you), and to take it to every nation on Earth. That has now been accomplished for the first time in history, which is a clear sign of the last days. Believe, don't believe, whatever. Just because you don't believe something doesn't make it untrue.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Try in England, where radical Islam is calling on the beheading of anyone who speaks against Islam. Speak out against Islam, or claim you are a Christian, and watch heads roll...literally.
Again, though, that is the religious right--it's not Christian right-wing extremism, but religious right-wing extremism all the same.

Quote:
There is a reason it's called "The Right."
Ah, yes...the fallacy of equivocation.

Quote:
I don't see anyone shoving any beliefs down anyone's throat here. We just object to people using the Lord's name in vain.
It's not using the Lord's name in vain. The concept of the Lord's name being taken in vain refers to the utterings of false prophets.

Quote:
By the way, the Bible instructs us to share the Gospel (good news of Jesus Christ) with everyone (that includes you), and to take it to every nation on Earth. That has now been accomplished for the first time in history, which is a clear sign of the last days.
There have been "clear signs of the last days" since the destruction of the Temple.

Quote:
Believe, don't believe, whatever. Just because you don't believe something doesn't make it untrue.
Or, just because you believe something doesn't make it true. FWIW, you don't know what I believe and don't believe.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 09:05pm

Oh, I have a pretty good idea you don't believe what I believe, so just leave it at that.

There were many prophecies that were not fulfilled in 70 A.D. They have only been recently fulfilled in our lifetime. Read the Book.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, I have a pretty good idea you don't believe what I believe, so just leave it at that.

There were many prophecies that were not fulfilled in 70 A.D. They have only been recently fulfilled in our lifetime. Read the Book.
I have, maybe more than you. The prophecies are not able to be recognizably fulfillable.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

wwid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Sorry. I thought I posted this this morning, but perhaps I forgot to hit the "submit" button.
End of story.

Last edited by SAump; Sun May 24, 2009 at 09:17pm.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

I've been staying away from this thread for a couple of days, just to see where it went.

Let me say this:

1) My "Orderly Mind, Friendly Gentleman" meaning for OMFG was meant as a joke. I thought it was obvious enough not to need a smiley.

2) It's okay that some are offended by some of the meanings (and perhaps the most common meaning) of OMFG. I, too, am offended by that, depending on the social norms. (I wouldn't say it, or expect to hear it, at church, for example.) (And, to be clear, my use of the word "church" is not meant to be offensive to those who attentd attend any other type of building (e.g., temple) for religious ceremonies, or those who do not attend, or those who attend sometimes, or those who attend, but not in a building.) The social norms here are, I think, less-restrictive on cussing and the specific applicability of the third commandment.

3) Truthfully, I didn't ascribe any particular meaning to the acronym other than the general, non-literal meaning, "I don't see how this can be so confusing." Heck, had I posted that, some would complain that I was being demeaning to whoever asked the question. Maybe that "attitude" is why I'm not a teacher. So, choose it to mean whatever you want to be non-offfensive (or to be offensive, it that's your pleasure)

4) I don't like to have the last word and then close a thread, so I'll leave this open a while more. But, if the posts continue in the current vein, it will be closed.
Closed Thread