The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Time in the box?

Ok guys I gotta situation i had today. Kid pitching was a real go getter. As soon as he got the ball from the catcher he was back on the rubber ready to go, and as soon as the batter finished getting his signs from the coaches and stepped in the box here came the pitch. Coach mentioned that the batter had 5 seconds from the time he stepped in the box till the time the pitch could start his pitch. I told the pitcher to slow down and that he had to let the batter set before he could throw. What's the ruling on this.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beonewtheplate View Post
Ok guys I gotta situation i had today. Kid pitching was a real go getter. As soon as he got the ball from the catcher he was back on the rubber ready to go, and as soon as the batter finished getting his signs from the coaches and stepped in the box here came the pitch. Coach mentioned that the batter had 5 seconds from the time he stepped in the box till the time the pitch could start his pitch. I told the pitcher to slow down and that he had to let the batter set before he could throw. What's the ruling on this.

It's a Quick Pitch to pitch before the batter is reasonably set in the box.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

There is no 5 sec rule. Hold up your hand, until the batter is set!
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beonewtheplate View Post
Rule Reference:
Rule 8.05(e) Comment:
A quick pitch is an illegal pitch. Umpires will judge a quick pitch as one delivered before the batter is reasonably set in the batter’s box. With runners on base the penalty is a balk; with no runners on base, it is a ball. The quick pitch is dangerous and should not be permitted.
So by your description, your "go getter" pitcher was cheating (by rule) and you were allowing it until someone complained! Seems to me that you need a little training in the rules.

And the next time a coach gives you a time limit as in your OP, explain to him that he needs to discuss time keeping with the clock operator!
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

What do you guys do about this situation.

Pitcher going from stretch. Batter takes signs and puts foot in. Is looking down and digging in, etc. doing everything to get set for the pitch. During this time, pitcher takes signs and come set so when batter looks up the pitcher is already set and ready to pitch. He doesn't pitch as soon as the batter looks up, but it still seems a little rushed. I just think it a little off-putting for the batter to see the pitcher in the "Set" position as soon as he looks up.

When I see this happening I usually will call time, have everyone reset and hold my hand up and call "Play" when I feel ready.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12 View Post

When I see this happening I usually will call time, have everyone reset and hold my hand up and call "Play" when I feel ready.

Good lord, how long do your games last?
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Pitcher going from stretch. Batter takes signs and puts foot in. Is looking down and digging in, etc. doing everything to get set for the pitch. During this time, pitcher takes signs and come set so when batter looks up the pitcher is already set and ready to pitch. He doesn't pitch as soon as the batter looks up, but it still seems a little rushed. I just think it a little off-putting for the batter to see the pitcher in the "Set" position as soon as he looks up.

I don't do anything about this situation, because there's nothing wrong with it.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The first time this happens or comes close to happening, I call time to "sweep the plate". While sweeping the plate, I tell the catcher that he can help the pitcher not quick pitch by not giving the signs to the pitcher until the batter is set. Works everytime

-Josh
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 10:32am
Stop staring at me swan.

yep, i will simply tell the catcher to not give his signs until the batter is set. rarely do I stop the game...after i've told them that, and I still have problems...well, then I can enforce the quick pitch rule.