View Single Post
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beonewtheplate View Post
Ok guys I gotta situation i had today. Kid pitching was a real go getter. As soon as he got the ball from the catcher he was back on the rubber ready to go, and as soon as the batter finished getting his signs from the coaches and stepped in the box here came the pitch. Coach mentioned that the batter had 5 seconds from the time he stepped in the box till the time the pitch could start his pitch. I told the pitcher to slow down and that he had to let the batter set before he could throw. What's the ruling on this.
Rule Reference:
Rule 8.05(e) Comment:
A quick pitch is an illegal pitch. Umpires will judge a quick pitch as one delivered before the batter is reasonably set in the batter’s box. With runners on base the penalty is a balk; with no runners on base, it is a ball. The quick pitch is dangerous and should not be permitted.
So by your description, your "go getter" pitcher was cheating (by rule) and you were allowing it until someone complained! Seems to me that you need a little training in the rules.

And the next time a coach gives you a time limit as in your OP, explain to him that he needs to discuss time keeping with the clock operator!