The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

OBR:

CI. Batter gets 1B. 6.08(c)

If R3 is trying to score on a squeeze play or a steal on the pitch, then CI, batter gets 1B and balk charged to pitcher and all runners move up 1 base including the runner who now scores. 7.07

Last edited by GA Umpire; Fri May 15, 2009 at 12:56pm.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

In FED: BR awarded 1B any runner forced is awarded that base as well, and any runners stealing are awarde that base. In the OP R1 gets 2B on either the steal or the award to the BR, and R3 stays at 3B b/c he was not stealing.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 12:58pm
Stop staring at me swan.

in FED if it's a balk, all runners advance one base...everything after the balk doesn't matter. Dead ball balks.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
in FED if it's a balk, all runners advance one base...everything after the balk doesn't matter. Dead ball balks.
I agree a balk is 1 base, and a DB, but don't believe this is a balk.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

One need only ask himself: "Did the catcher hinder or impede the batter's attempt to swing at the pitch?" If yes, it's defensive (catcher's) interference (NCAA/OBR terminology).

Even if the batter did not, in fact, swing, if the catcher's actions prevented the batter from even being able to swing, then one can have defensive interference.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 01:58pm
Stop staring at me swan.

So, w/ no runners on base, we'd award B/R 1B, just as though he's attempted to swing and hit the mitt that was out over the plate. Is the 'buffer zone' considered the plate? Or is that strictly umpire judgement? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but the batter does absorb some burden on attempting to hit the pitch, correct?
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

There isn't any buffer zone, per se; rather, it's just that he has to be able to at least make a legitimate attempt to swing unperturbed at the pitch. If the catcher is on or in front of the plate, there's no way the batter is going to be able to do this. Consequently, we have defensive interference.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 02:10pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I agree with you...but what about behind that plate? (I didn't specify that in my earlier question) Outside of the blatantly late swing, is the catcher protected like any other fielder, in that he has a right to attempt to field the ball behind home plate...in this case, the pitched ball?
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I agree with you...but what about behind that plate? (I didn't specify that in my earlier question) Outside of the blatantly late swing, is the catcher protected like any other fielder, in that he has a right to attempt to field the ball behind home plate...in this case, the pitched ball?
Ah but... this is not a ball that has been hit, it has been thrown. What protection hath a fielder on a throw?
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 02:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I understand that Rube...I guess I wasn't asking in relation to the OP...this is a one-off question...if you will.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

I think that I understand what you are asking, but for the sake of saving me the ripping that might ensue from answering a question not asked, can you restate your question succinctly?
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 02:24pm
Stop staring at me swan.

A one off question a tiny-bit in relation to the OP:

Outside of the blatantly late swing, is the catcher protected like any other fielder, in that he has a right to attempt to field the ball behind home plate...in this case, the pitched ball?
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

F2 only has a right to get the ball after the batter has had a complete, uninterrupted chance to hit the ball.

Meaning, until the ball has completely passed the plate and the batter takes no chance to hit the ball while in flight. For the plate, remember, the ball has to cross the foul line(s) to be a pitch. For the takes no chance, if the batter swings at the ball while it is still in flight and not with the obvious intent to hit the F2's glove(such as a really late swing), then F2 better not hinder him. If the ball is no longer in flight(and bouncing is still in flight), ie. it is completely in the F2's glove, then he cannot be interfered with anymore.

So, if the catcher catches the ball behind the plate and is starting to throw to 2B, then the batter can no longer be interfered with. Now, it is the catcher that can be interfered with.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 07:37pm
Veteran College Umpire

Today in my D1 game the runner from third tried to steal home. The catcher, realizing this, jumped out from behind the plate and into the batter's box opposite the batter to catch the pitch and try to get the tag down. The batter did not attempt a swing, and the catcher was not in front of the plate. A balk was called and the run scored, but there was no catcher's interference - just a balk for the catcher being clearly out of the catcher's box (in this case with BOTH feet) at the time the pitch was released.
Fun stuff.

JJ
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Today in my D1 game the runner from third tried to steal home. The catcher, realizing this, jumped out from behind the plate and into the batter's box opposite the batter to catch the pitch and try to get the tag down. The batter did not attempt a swing, and the catcher was not in front of the plate. A balk was called and the run scored, but there was no catcher's interference - just a balk for the catcher being clearly out of the catcher's box (in this case with BOTH feet) at the time the pitch was released.
Fun stuff.

JJ
That is only if he was out of the box before the TOP. If it happened after the TOP, then a balk is called and CI is called for the batter to be given 1B.

However, did the runner break before the pitcher started any movement and the catcher was out of the box? If the catcher was out of the box after the pitcher started his delivery, then a balk and CI should have been called. TOP is considered to have started when the pitcher starts his delivery, not when he releases the ball. He interfered with the batter's chance to hit the ball and he did it after the pitcher began his delivery of the ball(which is when TOP occurs). So, to call a balk and not CI was wrong. It should have been both.