The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
No disrespect to Mr. Jenkins (with all honesty), but how many unproductive comments does one have to post before something happens?
A lot according to this thread. I like this umpire's passion for baseball, even if he hasn't received a lot of training.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I saw these before, but I forgot how great they are.

"This is a great field for Little League. There's no holes in the backstop. You could have the LLWS here."

But my favorite baseball video of all time is right here (watch out for the language):

YouTube - Earl Weaver
Now that's baseball they way it used to be. Love it! The umpire was just as good was Weaver was. Love it when he says "I aint going no where Earl", classic line...

Thansk
David
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Which is cooler, his velcro-closure hat worn backward, or the ultra-hip zip front shirt ?
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
No disrespect to Mr. Jenkins (with all honesty), but how many unproductive comments does one have to post before something happens?
Apologies for not being here 24x7.

Plus, I can only edit or delete posts -- I can't remove users.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
... I like this umpire's passion for baseball, even if he hasn't received a lot of training.
canadaump6,

I agree.

JM
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A lot according to this thread. I like this umpire's passion for baseball, even if he hasn't received a lot of training.
He was referring to some inane comments from a well-known ignoramus that have since been deleted.

I think the guy in the videos would be a great umpire if he could only get some quality training. He definitely has the desire.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 09:35am

Quote:
He is not talking about the guy in the video who thinks that the center fielder needs to hear the count.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 09:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
He was referring to some inane comments from a well-known ignoramus that have since been deleted.
Well stated. However, deleting doesn't seem to phase this person, as he has sent me the usual nasty, vile private message under his new, creative name (see above).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't seem to be able to look at this from an umpiring viewpoint, so lets try something more familiar to you.

What if someone, with a great passion for psychology, your field of study, but no training, hung up a shingle and began giving advice to people who believed him because of that passion?

The clown in those videos, if you read the posts at that site, is actually influencing people. His so-called passion and his nerve to post those ridiculous videos makes him, in the eyes of some neophytes, credible. This is another, more modern way, to perpetuate myths and make the lives of umpires who work to really improve their craft, miserable.

Passion, my young friend, must be tempered with some amount of reasonableness or knowledge in order to positively benefit someone.

The only positive attribute of those videos is their comedic value.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
You don't seem to be able to look at this from an umpiring viewpoint, so lets try something more familiar to you.

What if someone, with a great passion for psychology, your field of study, but no training, hung up a shingle and began giving advice to people who believed him because of that passion?

The clown in those videos, if you read the posts at that site, is actually influencing people. His so-called passion and his nerve to post those ridiculous videos makes him, in the eyes of some neophytes, credible. This is another, more modern way, to perpetuate myths and make the lives of umpires who work to really improve their craft, miserable.

Passion, my young friend, must be tempered with some amount of reasonableness or knowledge in order to positively benefit someone.

The only positive attribute of those videos is their comedic value.
Maybe I just don't feel the same way some people do about his videos. To me they were good for a laugh, but in a fun way. I don't think the videos will make umpires look bad as a group, and I don't think umpires with basic training will imitate what they see in the videos.

I think comparing psychology to umpiring is like comparing apples to oranges. The result of someone taking the umpire seriously is that they might develop some bad habits. The results of someone taking the amateur psychologist seriously could be much more costly. Baseball is just a game afterall. I really don't think the posted videos will cause any harm. The people responding are probably being sarcastic.

People complain about flowerchild's insults in the same thread that they diss the guy in the video. It doesn't work both ways.

Last edited by cc6; Sun May 17, 2009 at 07:26pm.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
I understand why the real GarthB had to shut it down.

Has this "gazebo" began to take any responsibility for his actions?
Its one thing to joke around. Its another to continually attack people's dignity.
Can he tell the difference between the good and the bad parts of a relationship.
Perhaps this guy can now recognize he needs to get some help for his problem.
I don't know what is motivating this flowerchild guy to do all these nasty things. There probably is an anger component to his actions. I don't miss Garth one bit.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
canadaump6,

I agree.

JM
Good to see we're on the same page for this one.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe I just don't feel the same way some people do about his videos. To me they were good for a laugh, but in a fun way. I don't think the videos will make umpires look bad as a group, and I don't think umpires with basic training will imitate what they see in the videos.

I think comparing psychology to umpiring is like comparing apples to oranges. The result of someone taking the umpire seriously is that they might develop some bad habits. The results of someone taking the amateur psychologist seriously could be much more costly. Baseball is just a game afterall. I really don't think the posted videos will cause any harm. The people responding are probably being sarcastic.

People complain about flowerchild's insults in the same thread that they diss the guy in the video. It doesn't work both ways.
The guy in the video needs to umpire L.L. games in Queens. He will do a fine job, and I'm sure they need umpires and appreciate him.
He doesn't, however, need to be doing instructional videos on the internet. By doing so he opens himself up to pats on the back or laughter.
Would you go to a clinic if this youtube hero was the featured instructor? I hope not.
I have no idea how to play the piano. If I get on youtube and try to show people how - with passion - I suspect I would deservedly be ragged on some message board somewhere.

On a side note, I respect this guy and small-ball umpires everywhere. I don't have the patience to work these games, but I'm glad some of you guys do! Thumbs up!
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
The guy in the video needs to umpire L.L. games in Queens. He will do a fine job, and I'm sure they need umpires and appreciate him.
He doesn't, however, need to be doing instructional videos on the internet. By doing so he opens himself up to pats on the back or laughter.
Would you go to a clinic if this youtube hero was the featured instructor? I hope not.
I have no idea how to play the piano. If I get on youtube and try to show people how - with passion - I suspect I would deservedly be ragged on some message board somewhere.

On a side note, I respect this guy and small-ball umpires everywhere. I don't have the patience to work these games, but I'm glad some of you guys do! Thumbs up!
I think the disses are a bit much in the same thread that people complain about flowerchild making disses. It would be nice if the insults would stop period and we could all share a laugh over the guy's enthusiasm combined with naivity.

I believe small-ball umpires deserve as much credit as those who do big-boy ball, because those younger kids deserve good umpires just as much as anybody else does. This Len guy probably works for nothing and they are happy to have him. He did say in one of his videos that safety is the most important thing, so even if he has stuff to work on, at least everyone is going home in one piece.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Sure, he deserves credit. I help coach my son's nine year old team. We have HORRIBLE umpires. I would never make fun of them.

But THIS guy is an arrogant SOB. He posted videos with an outfit called EXPERT VILLAGE. He announced to the world: Hey World! I am a moron...Please ridicule me!