The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
After ball hits the glove, batter chops at the high pitch in obvious strike.
This sounds like interference to me... Batters have been increasingly doing this (swinging after the pitch hits the mitt) to interfere with the catcher's throw and it should be called...
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 09:49pm
Stop staring at me swan.

w/o seeing it, we don't know...but if there's no attempt to actually try to hit the pitch, yep, we've got BI here.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
This sounds like interference to me... Batters have been increasingly doing this (swinging after the pitch hits the mitt) to interfere with the catcher's throw and it should be called...
Swinging is what batters do. Swinging late, by itself, is not interference.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Swinging is what batters do. Swinging late, by itself, is not interference.
Then why is the batter swinging after the ball is in the glove? Nobody over the age of 7 does this unintentionally.

Batters often do this to get in the catcher's way of his throw to make their interference look "natural."
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then why is the batter swinging after the ball is in the glove? Nobody over the age of 7 does this unintentionally.

Batters often do this to get in the catcher's way of his throw to make their interference look "natural."
Like I said above....I REALLY think the guy was a poor, very poor, hitter and player...late in the game, and his next couple of actions around the next pitches kinda proved it....I don't believe it was BI, and besides, he is allowed to swing at it...he's supposed to swing at it to help make the throw more difficult...he just can't interfere....which he didnt....

Last edited by Bishopcolle; Sun May 10, 2009 at 11:15pm.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
Like I said above....I REALLY think the guy was a poor, very poor, hitter and player...late in the game, and his next couple of actions around the next pitches kinda proved it...
Ok, you would definitely know better since you were there if he was doing something intentional or not. His actions just sounded a little fishy to me when I read it.

Quote:
I don't believe it was BI, and besides, he is allowed to swing at it...he's supposed to swing at it to help make the throw more difficult...
Yes, he can swing at it, as long as he's making a legitimate attempt to hit the ball. He cannot, however, swing to "make the throw more difficult" AFTER THE BALL IS IN THE CATCHER'S MITT. He is no longer swinging to hit the ball, but swinging to intentionally interfere with the catcher's throw, which would be interference.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

In regards to the OP. If grandma in the upperdeck knew the batter swung at the pitch, then I would correct the count. If there was any question, check swing, I would wait for the appeal. YMMV
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I definitely did not think of BI....I guess they could have had a hit and run sign on, and he could have tried (very late) to do his part, but it really looked more like a very poor hitter who just didn't have a clue...anyway, he didn't even come close to interfering...just a very poor chop at the ball....
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had this two weeks ago: Pitch way outside; lefty batter lays bat out there after the ball has been caught; catcher double-clutches and fails to nail the runner at second; I call interference on the batter, call him out and send the runner back and all hell breaks out.

Ridiculous. Coach teaches a bush maneuver and when someone finally rings him up on it, he makes a scene. "You're making that whole ruling up," he said.

It's a shame that so many of these programs have budget shortfalls. Eight more dollars and this coach could have a FED rule book.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon May 11, 2009 at 10:32am.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:36am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Ridiculous. Coach teaches a bush maneuver and when someone finally rings him up on it, he makes a scene. "You're making that whole ruling up," he said.
classic...classic...classic...