The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Foot Position - Wind Up

FED 6-1-2

For the wind-up position, the pitcher is not restricted as to how he shall hold the ball. A pitcher assumes the windup position when his hands are: (a) together in front of the body; (b) both hands are at his side; (c) either hand is in front of the body and the other hand is at his side. The pitcher’s non-pivot foot shall be in any position on or behind a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher’s plate...

I stopped by to watch a couple innings of a county tournament this afternoon. During the first inning I noticed that the pitcher for the home team appeared to be setting with his non-pivot foot clearly in front of the rubber. He ended up walking the lead off batter and pitched the remainder of the inning from the stretch.

When they took the field in the top of the second I moved up the line behind first base to get a better look at his foot position and my suspicion was confirmed - he clearly started with the heel of his non-pivot foot about 6 inches in front of the rubber.

This game was worked by a 4-man crew and there was no excuse for not being able to see the rubber as a fresh coat of white paint was applied to it just before the plate conference. Am I trying to pick fly crap out of the pepper or would others have enforced the pitching rule cited above?
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Since it is not legal to pick-off from the windup in FED, and since I can think of no possible advantage of any kind that this starting position confers on the pitcher, this is, IMHO, booger-picking.

It also virtually guarantees you a high volume discussion with the pitching coach: I know this from personal experience. In a pre-season scrimage, I mentioned this precise issue to a coach, mentioning that, while I did not think anyone in my Assn. was likely to be penalizing this; based on comments at the state rules meetings, I was not sure about umps from other areas. Next thing I know I have the said pitching coach [an ex-AAA pitcher] in my grill wanting to know WTF I'm talking about, I [me] don't know what I'm talking about, that's not the Rule, that's they way I [the coach] teach them to pitch, yada, yada...

Last edited by cbfoulds; Sat May 09, 2009 at 11:41pm.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
During the first inning I noticed that the pitcher for the home team appeared to be setting with his non-pivot foot clearly in front of the rubber.
Technically speaking this pitcher would be then pitching from the stretch and not the windup. FED 6-1-3: For the set position (...) he shall stand with his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front end of the pitcher's plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
Since it is not legal to pick-off from the windup in FED, and since I can think of no possible advantage of any kind that this starting position confers on the pitcher, this is, IMHO, booger-picking.

It also virtually guarantees you a high volume discussion with the pitching coach: I know this from personal experience.
I have a different feeling about this situation. When it has happened to me in the past I let the coaches know that the rule-book defines each of the pitching positions by how the pitcher's feet are positioned. I let them know that if their pitcher's feet are in that configuration then he is in the stretch and subject to the restrictions of it. Most of the coaches that I have talked to understand that fact and have then worked with their pitchers to correct the situation.

Those that didn't I have further told them that instead of rules committee giving the "power" to the umpires to decide when a pitcher is pitching from the stretch or windup or setting some sort of ambiguous degree or distance as a determining factor they chose to use the rubber. A clearly visible spot on the field thus taking our judgement out of the equation.

If they still don't listen, I wait for the other team to get a runner on 3rd, and let the pitcher switch to his windup/stretch and hit him with a balk for not stopping.
GFGartland - #85
Assistant Chief Umpire
Bloomington Athletic Association
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

NCAA rule states very similar to Fed for the non anchor foot position in the windup. I saw it a few times this season and just mentioned it in passing with the coach when the opportunity presented itself. If he does it with no one on as is normal for use of the windup position, he is gaining no advantage. Even with an R3. As long as he uses the same motion, I have nothing. There is normally a very discernable difference in the mechanics used by the same pitcher. Just my opinion.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
But isn't that just the advantage he gains with R3 only? Judging by F1's feet, he's in the stretch, so if he throws over to 3rd base you can't penalize him. R3 shortens his lead in case of a pick-off. When F1 pitches from the windup and gains an advantage over the batter. And the umpires have no idea when the pitch starts.

As for the advice of balking him for not stopping in this situation, the coach is going to come out and ask why. If you say, "no stop," he'll say, "he's winding up." Since you've allowed this windup all game, you're now grabbing the crappy end of the stick by calling this balk.

I think this needs to be addressed in the first inning. I've seen it in one game this season. I was BU and let it go, and my partner didn't see any advantage. I now think that was a mistake.