The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Uh, no. I didn't "boast" about it. I'm never proud or happy to eject someone. However, this doesn't mean I don't find some of what coaches say to get ejected rather humorous.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker View Post
...didn't anyone ever tell you that you're an extra, not a star? The best game you ever work will be the one after which no one remembers who you are. Seriously.
ROTFALMAO! Where did this guy get off the bus? Maybe he's a reject from a local T-Ball league!
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 08:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
ROTFALMAO! Where did this guy get off the bus? Maybe he's a reject from a local T-Ball league!
He probably thinks he "works for the coaches" and "it's all for the kids" too.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Please, have a clue

I get tired of some of this stuff...

Last weekend I ejected 2 high school coaches on Saturday, and a college head coach on Sunday, and they had one thing in common; They ejected themselves. It was their actions that got them ejected, a good umpire simply needs to do what he is asked to do.

To so many people who are on here complaining about ejections, get over it. The last thing I, or any good umpire wants to do is eject someone. I try very, very hard to keep coaches around in any game. In the first post, there was probably more than just the barebones description to warrant the ejection.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Wink

So you ejected two coaches in one week? What an ego you must have! Kevin F. would never have done that!
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:21am
Stop staring at me swan.

I think umpires who don't eject when they should eject make things worse for every umpire to follow them...generally speaking, it doesn't make you a better umpire because you don't eject when you have to eject. I'm not saying that we have to have a hair trigger, but when it's necessary, if for nothing else, we owe it to our other umpires
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I remember hearing (reading) it somewhere, probably here, that you eject coaches (and sometimes players) for the 3 (or maybe 4) P's-1. Profane, 2. Personal, 3. Prolonged. Those are what I remember. I have ejected for all three and for bad sportsmanship by players like throwing equipment or threatening another player with cursing involved.

I have refused to dump a coach or two for prolonged arguing and a little personal but it was to make them continue to suffer in bad weather and/or bad baseball (usually both) just like the rest of us.

I told a college coach this spring, "Sorry Wayne, you aren't getting out of here that easily, you gave birth to this ugly baby of a game and you have to stay here and watch it die like the rest of us." His team was losing 18-2 in the 8th and I had just rang up his batter for out #3 from 1B on a check swing appeal by my partner. He accused me of "You're cheating these kids. They are playing their butts off and you make a call like that. You're cheating these kids." It was so ludicrous and over the top I actually laughed out loud at him, told him what I quoted earlier then jogged to my spot in RF while he stood there with his hands on his hips. I still laugh when I think about it. He did not and could not say anything else.

It was a smart assed comment by me but it was deserved (in my opinion). He was just trying to get dumped to get out of the worst game his team had probably ever played and I just could not give him the satisfaction. I would have dumped him if he had cussed but I think he was a coaching for a Christian school so no cursing.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I await Kevin's comment that you acted unprofessionally and exemplified your rather large ego.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Assuming you're talking about NFHS rules, are you sure about that?
I meant to put you can not wear .... Sorry i just say my mistake...LOL
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 10:34pm

You could just say it like Borat: In HS you can wear jewelery.....NOT!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I think umpires who don't eject when they should eject make things worse for every umpire to follow them...generally speaking, it doesn't make you a better umpire because you don't eject when you have to eject. I'm not saying that we have to have a hair trigger, but when it's necessary, if for nothing else, we owe it to our other umpires
I agree with this entirely...I am a cop of 32 years experience....If you ignored abuse from the public that required an arrest, and didn't arrest because of wanting to be a nice guy, you made the job more dangerous for the next cop who had to deal with the "nice guy." I feel, while not exactly the same, it is pretty close....the next ump will have to finish your job because now, he thinks he can get away with it....If he needs ejecting, eject him...