The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Basic Question #4 (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53135-basic-question-4-a.html)

Tim C Sat May 09, 2009 09:59am

Basic Question #4

During the pre-game plate conference you say to the coaches:

"Are all your players legally and properly equipped including no jewelery?"

Both coaches mutter:

"Yes."

Now it is the fourth inning and the batter at the plate has complained, muttered, shook his head at a few of your calls.

You have reached the point that you would really like to dump him but he has not gone quite over your "line".

As you call strike three with your best Leslie Nielsen dance steps the batter walks past you giving you the REAL FU stare.

You notice at this precise instant that he is wearing a silver necklace.

You loudly announce to the crowd of seven:

"You're GONE for wearing jewelery!!!!"

Are you correct in your ruling?

UmpTTS43 Sat May 09, 2009 10:10am

Ideally, yes.

By the book, no.

Good news, bad news son. Good news, you get to keep your pretty necklace on, bad news, you have to wear it in the parking lot. Your done for arguing balls and strikes. :D

johnnyg08 Sat May 09, 2009 10:14am

Nope. Similar to the "in the news" college softball homerun gets taken away this is a warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected.

ManInBlue Sat May 09, 2009 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 600854)
You loudly announce to the crowd of seven:

"Your GONE for wearing jewelery!!!!"

All seven of which KNOW there is no rule about wearing jewelry. Manny, Big Pappi, Jeter, A-Rod...they all wear necklaces. You had it out for this well behaved, honor roll, church going kid and made up some BS to throw him out.

Oh, sorry, back on topic. No,you are not correct. You can run him for the FU/arguing thing, but not for wearing a necklace - warn the team, then start dumping the idiots that just don't get it.

Ump153 Sat May 09, 2009 10:42am

Tim -

I think I've figured it out. Either your are bored in retirement already or little Rei is screwing up right and left.

Emperor Ump Mon May 11, 2009 11:04am

So many times I've wanted to dump a coach when I have to delay my game to have a kid remove his jewelry. The coaches have stated their people are legally safely and properly equipped and lied to me.

spokanelurker Mon May 11, 2009 10:11pm

Wow!

Delay your game?

Klokard Tue May 12, 2009 12:14am

If you feel the need to dump him for arguing B&S, do so. Don't reach for infractgion at this point. Not worth it. Second game of the series, as at the plate meeting "including non authorized jewelry or pendants" and stare the coach in the face. Warning done.

Umpmazza Tue May 12, 2009 12:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 600870)
All seven of which KNOW there is no rule about wearing jewelry. Manny, Big Pappi, Jeter, A-Rod...they all wear necklaces. You had it out for this well behaved, honor roll, church going kid and made up some BS to throw him out.

Oh, sorry, back on topic. No,you are not correct. You can run him for the FU/arguing thing, but not for wearing a necklace - warn the team, then start dumping the idiots that just don't get it.

I think Tim_C is talking about HS rules.... and in HS you can wear Jewelry.

Welpe Tue May 12, 2009 12:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 601398)
and in HS you can wear Jewelry.

Assuming you're talking about NFHS rules, are you sure about that?

Klokard Tue May 12, 2009 12:50am

Fed rule requires ANY jewelry to be necessary ie. medical tags and MUST be taped over and/or secured to the body.

UmpTTS43 Tue May 12, 2009 02:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Ump (Post 601231)
So many times I've wanted to dump a coach when I have to delay my game to have a kid remove his jewelry. The coaches have stated their people are legally safely and properly equipped and lied to me.

Booger picking and I dont have a Kleenex. "Take it off, please." Game continues.

mbyron Tue May 12, 2009 06:40am

Quote:

What part of 1-5-12 don't you understand?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rule 1-5-12
Jewelry shall not be worn (See 3-3-1d) except for religious or
medical medals. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A
medical alert must be taped and may be visible.

3-3-1 prohibits jewelry on players who participates in the game.

johnnyg08 Tue May 12, 2009 08:02am

Quote:

really? aside from a medic alert bracelet or religious adornment taped to the inside

"must be a new rule this year"

ozzy6900 Tue May 12, 2009 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 601412)
3-3-1 prohibits jewelry on players who participates in the game.

Yes FED 3-3-1 is correct but others are failing in the penalty:

FED 3-3-1
PENALTY: At the end of playing action, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected......... (the rest not relevant to this situation)

The NCAA rule is pretty much the same - warn then eject.

OBR has no "jewelry rule" unless you are dealing with professional baseball, you would defer the penalty to the League Rules of the League that you are working for. Typically, most youth sports leagues do not want players wearing jewelery for safety reasons.