The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

how to use outside chest protector

There's some teams in my area that are thinking of doing a "turn back the clock" day in a scrimmage where the teams will wear all old time uniforms and they said the umps could also participate in it by wearing the "beanie" hats, classic tuxedos, dress shirts, and outside chest protector if we wanted to...

So I saw some outside chest protectors going on amazon for like $30, does anyone know how to use them? I'm thinking about getting one just to have one, as a throwback to the yesteryears of umpiring...and possibly use in that special scrimmage...
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

It's not too complicated. Just put your arms through the shoulder straps and "wear" it. Then, to hide your arms, slide your hands like you're putting your hands on your stomach, but hide them behind the protector instead.

You can't work the slot - you have to work over top of the catcher.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Bossman is correct in his instructions.

You must be aware that you will not be able to call your normal zone, either! You will have a beautiful view of the plate, but you can forget the low strike because of your position. You will also need to raise the strike zone at least to the letters (if you really want to go "old time"). You better inform these teams about this because if they want "belt to knees", you can forget the raft!

What about a white shirt, black or dark blue bow tie, black or dark blue pants and black or dark blue plate coat?

And a beanie, too!
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Inside Hand Strap

If I remember there is a strap attached to the inside which you use to pull up the protector to your neck as you squat a little over the catcher.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 10:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Bossman is correct in his instructions.

You must be aware that you will not be able to call your normal zone, either! You will have a beautiful view of the plate, but you can forget the low strike because of your position. You will also need to raise the strike zone at least to the letters (if you really want to go "old time"). You better inform these teams about this because if they want "belt to knees", you can forget the raft!

What about a white shirt, black or dark blue bow tie, black or dark blue pants and black or dark blue plate coat?

And a beanie, too!
I've thought about how one could work the slot with the raft well and if one were to stand about where one would with the Davis stance -- back a bit, in the slot, head higher, I think it could be done. Not that I'm interested....
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
You can't work the slot - you have to work over top of the catcher.
Why not? I did when I started. It's how most youth umpires in this area are taught.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Actually for me - I started with using the raft at times - was not working the dish it was more how to move and run without the damn thing being a wing.

You actually tuck it under your arm before you take off.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why not? I did when I started. It's how most youth umpires in this area are taught.
And that is an incorrect mechanic!
Most youth umpires working the slot with the raft have horrible strike zones IMO, and I've seen plenty of them!
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most youth umpires working the slot with the raft have horrible strike zones IMO, and I've seen plenty of them!
What makes it an "incorrect mechanic?" Suppose MLB had "always" used the inside protector, then someone realized that the injuries could be reduced by using this new-fangled "raft." Do you think they'd *also* choose to work "over the top" or would they continue to work the slot?

The strike zones of those youth umpires with rafts is no different from that of similarly experienced / trained / interested umpires with inside protectors.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

This is the look you should go for....

Old Tue May 05, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

...worst day with a raft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Actually for me - I started with using the raft at times - was not working the dish it was more how to move and run without the damn thing being a wing.

You actually tuck it under your arm before you take off.
this is funny to tell today....but it wasnt then.....MANY years ago , I was working a youth game solo with the raft....The batter hit a dribbler up the line and I came out from behind the plate tryng to get an angle on the throw.....tripped over the strap on the raft......

and faceplanted into the infield dust.....

I came up looking like a powdered donut......

but I had missed the call....

was never so happy to ditch the raft........
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Ran into a guy once who said he went to the umpire school the last year they ever taught the outside protector. They had to spend 1/2 the school time teaching the outside and 1/2 the school time teaching the inside. Believe that was 1978 because he mentioned going to the school with Jimmy Joyce.
He said you put the straps on and then grab under the bottom of the protector and pull it up to your chin. You grab the bottom by cupping your fingers (like your going to file them) and grab under the 1/4 of the protector closest to your body as you grab the bottom so you do not get your fingers hit. You do not grab onto the inside hand strap if there is one (you got dinged for this). Most of the old big outside protectors did not come with this inside hand strap anyway. You lined up straight over the catchers head looking right down the middle of the plate and just sat straight down a little bit.
As Tim_C said, when the ball was hit you slide your right arm out of the balloon, reached up with your left hand to take off your mask and the protector is tucked up under your left arm with your hand holding the mask against the protector at hip level. You had to do the same running up the line for the swipe tag. You had to follow the lead-off batter all the way to 3rd, on a triple down the right field line when your partner went out, and you had to make the call at third on a first to third. If you call safe, the strap was left hanging on your arm with the protector dangling, which does not happen if you cheat and us the inside strap if you have one.
I do not write well or communicate well, but this is the best I can do from a story long ago. If you got an outside protector and Tim_C can line you up with Jimmy Joyce since Beaverton is near Portland, that would be the only way I know to actually see how it was taught at the school years ago. Also some of the senior crew chiefs would probably remember if you run into one of them at an off-season clinic.

Last edited by tballump; Tue May 05, 2009 at 09:41pm.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Ran into a guy once who said he went to the umpire school the last year they ever taught the outside protector. They had to spend 1/2 the school time teaching the outside and 1/2 the school time teaching the inside. Believe that was 1978 because he mentioned going to the school with Jimmy Joyce.
He said you put the straps on and then grab under the bottom of the protector and pull it up to your chin. You grab the bottom by cupping your fingers (like your going to file them) and grab under the 1/4 of the protector closest to your body as you grab the bottom so you do not get your fingers hit. You do not grab onto the inside hand strap if there is one (you got dinged for this). Most of the old big outside protectors did not come with this inside hand strap anyway. You lined up straight over the catchers head looking right down the middle of the plate and just sat straight down a little bit.
As Tim_C said, when the ball was hit you slide your right arm out of the balloon, reached up with your left hand to take off your mask and the protector is tucked up under your left arm with your hand holding the mask against the protector at hip level. You had to do the same running up the line for the swipe tag. You had to follow the lead-off batter all the way to 3rd, on a triple down the right field line when your partner went out, and you had to make the call at third on a first to third. If you call safe, the strap was left hanging on your arm with the protector dangling, which does not happen if you cheat and us the inside strap if you have one.
I do not write well or communicate well, but this is the best I can do from a story long ago. If you got an outside protector and Tim_C can line you up with Jimmy Joyce since Beaverton is near Portland, that would be the only way I know to actually see how it was taught at the school years ago. Also some of the senior crew chiefs would probably remember if you run into one of them at an off-season clinic.
thanks for the tip on using the mattress, yeah, of course the inside protector is much easier to use but for a turn back the clock tribute to the game of yesteryear, i think it'd be neat to learn how umpires back in the day used to work...
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Believe it or not, there are still two umpires that I know of who work high school ball with a balloon in my area (they don't work varsity games). One is an older guy who must be at least 75 years old. I coached a freshman team last year and he worked at least three of my games; the guy needs to retire. He's a really nice man, but the game just moves too fast for him. The other guy is a complete geek who refs three sports, has done them all for probably 15 years, and never gets a varsity game in any of them. It wouldn't matter to me if either one of them could call a decent game, but they are both far below average as umpires. I guess other umpires have told the younger guy that he would help his image by going with an inside protector but he refuses.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How is that incorrect? One can work the slot with any style of chest protector and end up with the same head position.