The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What makes it an "incorrect mechanic?" Suppose MLB had "always" used the inside protector, then someone realized that the injuries could be reduced by using this new-fangled "raft." Do you think they'd *also* choose to work "over the top" or would they continue to work the slot?
Bob, please forgive me but are you trying for the "stupidest poster award"?
What if, What if? Here are the facts:
  1. MLB used the raft years ago.
  2. The taught and approved mechanic was to set up behind the catcher.
  3. The inside protector allowed them to move to the slot.
When I started umpiring, I was trained by two retired MLB umpires who ran an amateur training camp here in the Northeast almost 30 years ago. This is exactly how they were trained in MLB in the old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The strike zones of those youth umpires with rafts is no different from that of similarly experienced / trained / interested umpires with inside protectors.
Sorry to say, but around here, youth umpires who try to use the slot while sporting a raft suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
How is that incorrect? One can work the slot with any style of chest protector and end up with the same head position.
LDUB, see above! Are you even old enough to know what we are talking about?

Arguing about this subject any further is just a waste of time so you guys are on your own.

Enjoy each other!
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
Believe it or not, there are still two umpires that I know of who work high school ball with a balloon in my area ....
I might be way off in this estimation because we are a huge association and I do not see everyone, but I would guess maybe 5% of our guys use the raft for high school games, and some of them are very good umpires.

Once summer ball comes around, I bet another 10% go to the raft to beat the heat.

I started with one, but switched in my second year and never looked back.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

You can not dispute the fact that the "Raft", "Balloon", "Mattress", "Barge" protector or whatever else we can name it, reduces bodily exposure, provides more protection. I assume we all have real jobs to go to after we umpire the next day, so I have been contemplating, after reading these posts, that for the sake of safety and protection, self-preservation, that the "Balloon" protector, outside protector, may be the way to go for Rec and youth baseball. We are for the most part, amateurs, or as one fellow ump stated, "it's a hobby", and is it worth the risk of injury, broken bones,bruised muscles - potential dr bills etc, to "get in a better postion", " or look more professional, for the sake of spending more money on inside protectors and sweat like all get out.

Inside Protectors for HS, College, higher level ball, may very well be the best way. I enjoy the game very much and enjoy the competitive youth environment, I enjoy bringing my best game to each level of competition, and looking sharp and presenting a professional appearance and knowing, understanding and applying the Rules of baseball to the best of my ability. I do not have aspirations of doing higher level games, so I may very well seriously consider using the "Raft" again, as I did in 1966, in my first LL game. For my own safety and protection. I just will have to face a little music from my fellow umps. I may then have to post my new Wilson Plat. on Ebay.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 05:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
You can not dispute the fact that the "Raft", "Balloon", "Mattress", "Barge" protector or whatever else we can name it, reduces bodily exposure, provides more protection. I assume we all have real jobs to go to after we umpire the next day, so I have been contemplating, after reading these posts, that for the sake of safety and protection, self-preservation, that the "Balloon" protector, outside protector, may be the way to go for Rec and youth baseball. We are for the most part, amateurs, or as one fellow ump stated, "it's a hobby", and is it worth the risk of injury, broken bones,bruised muscles - potential dr bills etc, to "get in a better postion", " or look more professional, for the sake of spending more money on inside protectors and sweat like all get out.
Sorry, I don't care what level I'm working, I am NOT using a balloon. Not even during "turn back the clock night", I'd rather go as an NL umpire and wear an inside protector. This may be a hobby but it is one I take seriously and I have a hard time taking a balloon seriously in this day and age.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Sorry, I don't care what level I'm working, I am NOT using a balloon. Not even during "turn back the clock night", I'd rather go as an NL umpire and wear an inside protector. This may be a hobby but it is one I take seriously and I have a hard time taking a balloon seriously in this day and age.
This.

But I would need a plate coat. Any generous souls out there?
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
Believe it or not, there are still two umpires that I know of who work high school ball with a balloon in my area (they don't work varsity games). One is an older guy who must be at least 75 years old. I coached a freshman team last year and he worked at least three of my games; the guy needs to retire. He's a really nice man, but the game just moves too fast for him. The other guy is a complete geek who refs three sports, has done them all for probably 15 years, and never gets a varsity game in any of them. It wouldn't matter to me if either one of them could call a decent game, but they are both far below average as umpires. I guess other umpires have told the younger guy that he would help his image by going with an inside protector but he refuses.
Well, there is a major COLLEGE assignor in our area who still uses the outside protector when he works NCAA and NAIA games. In fact, he is the only one whom I know still using this.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

This is a film about Bill Kunkel's fight against cancer. However, it shows him in action and you can see how he uses the outside chest protector.

YouTube - Safe at Home