The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Ball lodged in fence

Here is the sitch.

R2, pitch lodges in chain link backstop. OBR. Is ball dead and runner advances? Please cite the rule. I cannot find it.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 07:39am
Stop staring at me swan.

1 base, TOP...somebody will post the rule
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

7.05(h) only says if the ball goes through the fence. But, the same logic can be inferred by using 6.05(f) about the ball sticking in the fence.

But, if you go by the strictest interpretation of the rule, it seems like it is a "get all you can" if the ball lodges in the fence after a pitch. For all practical purposes (and I'm sure there are interpretations to support this, hopefully), give the runner only 1 base.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
7.05(h) only says if the ball goes through the fence. But, the same logic can be inferred by using 6.05(f) about the ball sticking in the fence.

But, if you go by the strictest interpretation of the rule, it seems like it is a "get all you can" if the ball lodges in the fence after a pitch. For all practical purposes (and I'm sure there are interpretations to support this, hopefully), give the runner only 1 base.
7.05(f) was the only mention I could find of a ball being lodged in a fence. Same logic should apply.

Oddly enough, I've only seen two occasions where an attempted pick off throw got by the fielder and lodged in a fence. Both happened in the same game, once for each team and both times with attempts at third base.

Weird.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

OBR--7.05(f) as was mentioned uses the terminology "sticks in such fence" and 7.05(g) uses the terminology "remains in the meshes of a wire screen protecting spectators. Why the wording is not the exact same is beyond me, but IMHO they mean the same thing. Also notice that 7.05(g) uses the term "on a slanting part of the screen above the backstop" whereas 7.05(h) APPROVED RULING uses the term "above the break" which IMHO mean the same thing.
Now for 7.05(h) and your question--In APPROVED RULING "into any area where the ball is dead" the word--area--should include (IMHO) the terms "sticks in such fence" and "remains in the meshes of a wire screen protecting spectators", without actually having to restate either of these terms word for word again in this section. Hope this helps.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Thanks forthe help. It confirms the call I made.