The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

sounds like a little league game being played at a varisty level. Surely they were just trying to show some humor in life...which has obviously been lost around here.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
Surely they were just trying to show some humor in life...which has obviously been lost around here.
I'm all for humor - I just don't find comparing able bodied kids who play a game poorly to disabled kids humorous. I'm not 12 anymore. I also find it sad when people hide under the guise of humor when displaying poor taste and offending (intentionally or unintentionally) others.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I'm all for humor - I just don't find comparing able bodied kids who play a game poorly to disabled kids humorous. I'm not 12 anymore. I also find it sad when people hide under the guise of humor when displaying poor taste and offending (intentionally or unintentionally) others.
Ditto.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by His High Holiness View Post
All,

It has been a long time since I have been here but I had something happen in a game that I thought would bring a chuckle to the board.

Varsity baseball, triple A, which is supposed to be the best high school ball in Virginia:

The home team is awful. Truly horrible beyond belief!!! (Fortunately, all of the coaches are perfect gentleman. I guess they know how awful their team is and aren't about to blame the umpires.) The home team pitchers cannot find the strike zone. The batters lower than 5th in the order have no clue how to swing a bat, much less hit the ball. Routine plays are routinely booted.

Early in the game with all starters still in the lineup, a fly ball is hit to right field which F9 somehow catches. The coach comes out and asks for the ball so that he can present it to F9 as a souvenir. This is the very first ball that F9 has ever caught in any game !!! ( and we are late in the season). He is a starter, no less!

F9 booted all the rest of the plays that came to him. And no, this is not a handicap school. My partner did ask me if we were doing Special Olympics, however. It took over two hours to play this farce which ended in 5 innings with the mercy rule.

Peter

P. S. Do not get me started about the second string players.

if the winning side's coach is a gentleman, you can usually get them to work with you like having runners intentionally commit outs, have the batter intentionally strike out. If the stats are so important, we outta introduce a new statistic, Out on Offensive Indifference. We do have Defensive Indifference, so why not have the offensive version? This way, the runner can step off 1st, stand there, get picked off, but have the out credited to offensive indifference rather than a pickoff against the runner...
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 01:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ditto.
Ditto too.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:52am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Ditto too.

Peace

As someone who has been associated with Special Olympics Basketball, I would like to also add my ditto.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Pass the popcorn.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 07:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

While I generally like Peter and have great respect for Tee, the OP and the defense of it is simply stupid.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
if the winning side's coach is a gentleman, you can usually get them to work with you like having runners intentionally commit outs, have the batter intentionally strike out.
Intentionally striking out or getting picked off is usually obvious, and enormously insulting. I had a similar situation once, and the coach asked me privately "what can I do?" I told him to have his players try to hit ground balls right at the fielders and then try and beat them out. The outs will come, and no one is the wiser.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

~sigh~

Isn't it great to live in a country where we all can have our own opinion without being called names.

Sad state of affairs.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:11am
In Memoriam

...Moving on....
Closed Thread