Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Red face Special Olympics maybe?

All,

It has been a long time since I have been here but I had something happen in a game that I thought would bring a chuckle to the board.

Varsity baseball, triple A, which is supposed to be the best high school ball in Virginia:

The home team is awful. Truly horrible beyond belief!!! (Fortunately, all of the coaches are perfect gentleman. I guess they know how awful their team is and aren't about to blame the umpires.) The home team pitchers cannot find the strike zone. The batters lower than 5th in the order have no clue how to swing a bat, much less hit the ball. Routine plays are routinely booted.

Early in the game with all starters still in the lineup, a fly ball is hit to right field which F9 somehow catches. The coach comes out and asks for the ball so that he can present it to F9 as a souvenir. This is the very first ball that F9 has ever caught in any game !!! ( and we are late in the season). He is a starter, no less!

F9 booted all the rest of the plays that came to him. And no, this is not a handicap school. My partner did ask me if we were doing Special Olympics, however. It took over two hours to play this farce which ended in 5 innings with the mercy rule.

Peter

P. S. Do not get me started about the second string players.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Insensitive and insulting to many families, including mine.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by His High Holiness View Post
All,

It has been a long time since I have been here but I had something happen in a game that I thought would bring a chuckle to the board.

Varsity baseball, triple A, which is supposed to be the best high school ball in Virginia:

The home team is awful. Truly horrible beyond belief!!! (Fortunately, all of the coaches are perfect gentleman. I guess they know how awful their team is and aren't about to blame the umpires.) The home team pitchers cannot find the strike zone. The batters lower than 5th in the order have no clue how to swing a bat, much less hit the ball. Routine plays are routinely booted.

Early in the game with all starters still in the lineup, a fly ball is hit to right field which F9 somehow catches. The coach comes out and asks for the ball so that he can present it to F9 as a souvenir. This is the very first ball that F9 has ever caught in any game !!! ( and we are late in the season). He is a starter, no less!

F9 booted all the rest of the plays that came to him. And no, this is not a handicap school. My partner did ask me if we were doing Special Olympics, however. It took over two hours to play this farce which ended in 5 innings with the mercy rule.

Peter

P. S. Do not get me started about the second string players.
Yeah, there is an abundance of that all over the place now ... some call it "select baseball". Team after team with no ability at all.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Insensitive and insulting to many families, including mine.
Yes, even the president had to apologize for his remarks about his bowling abilities.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

I have a pretty damned good sense of humor. But there are certain things that are left untouched by every dignified human being in attempting to get a laugh, and mentally and physically disadvantaged children is most certainly on the short list of untouchables.

Shameful reference. Absolutely shameful.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I have a pretty damned good sense of humor. But there are certain things that are left untouched by every dignified human being in attempting to get a laugh, and mentally and physically disadvantaged children is most certainly on the short list of untouchables.

Shameful reference. Absolutely shameful.
I am so glad that I have not lost my touch to outrage and offend.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All,

It has been a long time since I have been here ..............
Yes it has, Peter! Welcome back from your sabbatical of how many years?

Ignore the complaining weenies as they do not know you or your past.

I agree, your observation of the team in your post reflects how the sport is in my area also. Baseball has become a second or third "language" to most of the youngsters. When you have JV players that can't even turn a DP, you may as well give up.

I blame the lower youth sports (as I always have) for making the sport a "kissy, kissy", goodie-2-shoes affair with "everyone plays and tie games for all".

But above all, Peter, don't be a stranger!

Regards as always!
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Ignore the complaining weenies as they do not know you or your past.
If he doesn't apologize for that remark, then yes I do know him (and you too).
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

America has obviously lost a sense of humor. How sad that political correctness has driven us to this point.

Welcome back Peter.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am so glad that I have not lost my touch to outrage and offend.
Now that's funny Peter. Good to hear from you, and yes, one post and a little stir, that must be a God-given talent!

Thanks
David
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
America has obviously lost a sense of humor. How sad that political correctness has driven us to this point.

Welcome back Peter.

I don't believe political correctness has anything to do with it. Making fun of children, such as my oldest, who were chosen to be born with Downs is not "incorrect." It is a sign of ignorance and insensitivity.

My son would love to, as flowerchild said earlier, get over it. He won't.

The Special Olympics is a fantastic organization that provides opportunties for thousands of kids to have the chance other kids have. To play a sport, to compete, and to know how if feels to win. They already know how it feels to lose.

His High Holiness is glad he hasn't lost his touch to outrage and offend. I congratulate him on his success. I am disappointed, however, that umpires, who, according to the OBR, represent the game of baseball, would not only find humor in his post, but also offer him encouragement.

It's obvious that I'm out of touch with the mainstream in this thread. I'll take my leave. Y'all can just yuk it up.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Maybe the thread should be locked so we don't offend anyone else.

Let me also add this:

If you want live as a victim, that is your right. Others choose to enjoy life and speaking their mind and you can choose to enjoy the antics and laugh with it or be a victim and cry in the corner.

And I don't really give a hoot if my statement offends anyone!

Peace

Last edited by ozzy6900; Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 11:12am.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Welcome back Peter.
I am not a PC oriented person at all. I am merely a dignified, contemporary member of American society, and that blanket dismissal of everyone who is disgusted by that remark says a lot about you, too.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

~sigh~

Thanks Kevin, I know now clearly who you are and why it is sometimes difficult to read your posts.

I will pass on now and let the battle rage on its own.

So sad, so sad.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks Kevin, I know now clearly who you are and why it is sometimes difficult to read your posts.

I will pass on now and let the battle rage on its own.

So sad, so sad.
"I know now clearly ..." ???

You write something like that, and in the next part of the sentence, you claim that my posts are sometimes difficult to read??

Thank you, I needed a room vibrating laugh.

And what is "so sad" is that there are people who will stoop to mocking special kids, and that there are those who will publicly claim that they also find humor in such a thing.

Battle, my a$$. How do you have a battle when your side is outnumbered 1000 to 1 or worse?

Stay imperious, it suits you nicely.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 10:29pm.
Closed Thread