Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 02:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
My balls hurt just from reading such total BS.
TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI!!!!

Peace
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
When you call a couple of them in a different tone and maybe shoot a glance over to the HC, you should get your point across if he has any clue.
Do that and you have just confirmed that the pitcher is correct in his assessment of your strike zone.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

I won't call BS on the OP. I was working the bases in an American Legion tournament game a couple of years ago when the coach sprinted from the dugout between innings & got in the PU's face.
I had to physically separate them. Turns out PU had told the catcher, "Tell the pitcher to shut his d@mn mouth & throw the ball or there won't be anymore strikes."
PU didn't deny the comments & got suspended for the rest of the year.

There's better ways to handle these things.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
If he was making expressions and gestures and I felt he was "showing me up" I'd take my mask off and say "do you want to stay in this game? Well knock it off!" Then if it continued, he's gone! A good HC would't let it get that far!
I try to eliminate any questions posed to players or coaches during a dispute. I learned this watching a newbie ump go up to coach and ask, "Whatsamatter, you don't like my zone?"

And the, the sh!tstorm ensued.

Ace in CT
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Make it simple, sweet and to the point. 15-16 year old game.

First two innings pitchers is moaning and groaning slightly, I ignor it.

Third inning I send catcher out and ask him to calm his pitcher down.

End of the inning I speak to the coach and ask him to speak to his pitcher. He defends his pitcher of course, and I explain to him that it's battle his pitcher is going to lose and walk away.

Second pitch of next inning, pitcher moans about call and I call time, "Coach please replace your pitcher. So ends the lesson.

You see gentlemen, when your the official, you have the final say in the game. There is no need to get in a frenzy about anything and no need to show anyone who is in charge. Competency can be measured by confidence. Confidence can be displayed by your demeanor. Your demeanor should never be anything less than professional at all times.

Enjoy what your doing.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

excellent

thats how it should be handled
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Do that and you have just confirmed that the pitcher is correct in his assessment of your strike zone.
I disagree. Doing that and you have just let the coach know you will not tolerate his pitcher's antics. This allows him to get a chance to do something before you have to. By not doing it and just ejecting the pitcher, you have not allowed the coach to do his job. Some need a little nudge of what they need to do.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree. Doing that and you have just let the coach know you will not tolerate his pitcher's antics.
No, doing that would say you'd be wiling to cheat to get your point across.

The last thing any good umpire would want to be branded would be a cheater. Don't cheat, or even threaten to cheat. Word will get around, and you won't last.

Just have the catcher go out and talk to him.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 07:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
I won't call BS on the OP.
I don't think anyone is saying that the OP didn't do this, they are saying that doing it is BS. At least that's what I meant.

Rutledge, sorry for the visuals!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 08:15pm
Stop staring at me swan.

You see gentlemen, when your the official, you have the final say in the game. There is no need to get in a frenzy about anything and no need to show anyone who is in charge. Competency can be measured by confidence. Confidence can be displayed by your demeanor. Your demeanor should never be anything less than professional at all times.

I like that piece.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
No, doing that would say you'd be wiling to cheat to get your point across.

The last thing any good umpire would want to be branded would be a cheater. Don't cheat, or even threaten to cheat. Word will get around, and you won't last.

Just have the catcher go out and talk to him.
Who said anything about changing the zone. I never said that. I said change the TONE of voice. Letting the coach, pitcher, and catcher know this needs to stop. This gives the coach a chance to react or his pitcher's day will be real short. Never said anything about changing the zone.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who said anything about changing the zone. I never said that. I said change the TONE of voice. Letting the coach, pitcher, and catcher know this needs to stop. This gives the coach a chance to react or his pitcher's day will be real short. Never said anything about changing the zone.
OK sorry. I thought it was a typo.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Funny story, maybe. My last forfeit, about 3 years ago. Summer league recreational game of 16-17 year old players.

The team on defense is winning big, like 14-0 in the 4th. After I call ball 4 on the batter the pitcher comes off the mound with his hands spread wide and says "where was that pitch". I turn to coach and say "you need to talk to your pitcher" He says "he deserves an answer" and I say "you need to talk to your pitcher". So he does. A couple batters latter same thing happens, this time the coach is proactive, he calls him to the foul line and he, the catcher and pitcher have a discussion. As they are breaking up I tell the coach that is two trips and who is he putting in for his new pitcher (OBR rules). He goes on a rant, about how this was not a trip, he did not cross the foul line, ask my partner, etc. I tell him he has to change his pitcher and if not his assistant will have to do it. He hollers out to F5 to take the mound and then heads toward the dugout and says something about "you making all this money you should know the rules". Good bye.

I turn to look at the pitcher who is hollering "you can't make me leave". Good bye. I start walking toward the official scorer/league administrater and I hear footsteps behind me and turn to find another player in my face. I don't know what he said because... good bye. Before it was all over I got about 3 more and my partner, who was also district commissioner comes up to me and says "I think we need to forfeit this game". I agreed, they did not have enough to play now anyway.

My partner called the assigner. He said he had been warned that this team was nuts and when he looked at the schedule he saw me and the district commissioner working the game so he did not bother to call us to clue us in. He figured we would handle whatever came up.

I found out later that coach and pitcher were father and son. Go figure.

Last edited by DG; Sun Apr 26, 2009 at 11:45pm.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 12:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Funny story, maybe. My last forfeit, about 3 years ago. Summer league recreational game of 16-17 year old players.

The team on defense is winning big, like 14-0 in the 4th. After I call ball 4 on the batter the pitcher comes off the mound with his hands spread wide and says "where was that pitch". I turn to coach and say "you need to talk to your pitcher" He says "he deserves an answer" and I say "you need to talk to your pitcher". So he does. A couple batters latter same thing happens, this time the coach is proactive, he calls him to the foul line and he, the catcher and pitcher have a discussion. As they are breaking up I tell the coach that is two trips and who is he putting in for his new pitcher (OBR rules). He goes on a rant, about how this was not a trip, he did not cross the foul line, ask my partner, etc. I tell him he has to change his pitcher and if not his assistant will have to do it. He hollers out to F5 to take the mound and then heads toward the dugout and says something about "you making all this money you should know the rules". Good bye.

I turn to look at the pitcher who is hollering "you can't make me leave". Good bye. I start walking toward the official scorer/league administrater and I hear footsteps behind me and turn to find another player in my face. I don't know what he said because... good bye. Before it was all over I got about 3 more and my partner, who was also district commissioner comes up to me and says "I think we need to forfeit this game". I agreed, they did not have enough to play now anyway.

My partner called the assigner. He said he had been warned that this team was nuts and when he looked at the schedule he saw me and the district commissioner working the game so he did not bother to call us to clue us in. He figured we would handle whatever came up.

Funny story. I love when they think they know the rules and you don't.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post

Quite a compliment when your assignor thinks you can handle whatever.

Funny how these nuts think you'll stop tossing after the first guy goes (or the second, or third...)