The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 05:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
I always keep my mask on when dealing with coaches. This comes into play when I sometimes "stumble" into them and bump thier nose with my mask. This usually gets them away from me in a hurry.
Lance, I didn't realize you were on this forum, too.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
I always keep my mask on when dealing with coaches. This comes into play when I sometimes "stumble" into them and bump thier nose with my mask. This usually gets them away from me in a hurry.
You have a lot to learn!
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Troll alert.
Old Sat Apr 25, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Harmbu, I understand the situation in the OP. When I coached, I would've come down the line and questioned the PU just because his poor mechanics on this play shows a sign of doubt.
To keep from avoiding the PU's space, I always turned 90 degrees where my shoulder, not my chest, was toward the umpire. Then, if there was aggression, it came from him. And I wouldn't worry about the "glare", because this just means you accomplished what you really went down there for in the first place (unless you really thought he would change his call).
It's a baseball deal, and if he is professional, which may not be the case in this situation, he will call pitches and not let it effect the rest of the game.

I don't see any need to ask my partner if he saw the batter get hit. I tell the BU in the pregame to come in immediately if he sees something I don't (ie, ball batted off the foot, etc.)
But if I did ask, he better not shrug his shoulders. I want a signal, as was mentioned in an earlier post.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Here is the summary of my advice to coaches for dealing with umpire decisions:

2.) Assistant coaches
    Do not try to argue with officials. It's not your job
    Say "atta boy" to players and direct their paths on the bases
    At end of game, say "good game, Mr. Umpire!"
With all due respect, SDS, I could give a %^&$# less about the last one. Since they don't exist any other time, I don't care a flip about what they think about the end result. (Maybe I don't feel THAT strongly, in retrospect, but still....)

Here's a question, to change horses mid-stream: is anyone else out there as uncomfortable as I am when the coaches want to shake hands with me at the end of a game? Winning team, losing team, head coachs, AC, whatever - the last thing I want to do at the end of the game is shake hands.

I'm not trying to sound like an anti-social troglodyte, but I'm trying to act like a pro out there, and I would just as soon 'pick up' my partner and find that gate in the fence at the end. And this happens at HS as well as local rec leagues - not every coach, but there are some at every level. Some will speak and thank me/us, or say "good game, blue/Mr ump/whatever", and I just try to nod or say 'your welcome,' or some other minimalist response, but I'd almost prefer to just leave.

Part of it's because I umpire no closer than 35 miles from my home, so I have no ties to any league or area. But am I over-reacting to feel this way?
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

The Lone Ranger rides again

I like to imagine the coaches saying "Who was that masked man?"
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 12:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp View Post
With all due respect, SDS, I could give a %^&$# less about the last one. Since they don't exist any other time, I don't care a flip about what they think about the end result. (Maybe I don't feel THAT strongly, in retrospect, but still....)
I was just trying to think of anything else an assistant coach might have to do or say. If they say anything to me, it better be "nice game, sir."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp View Post
But am I over-reacting to feel this way?
While you shouldn't seek them out to shake hands, if you run into them while on your way to the nearest gate, then you should be polite / professional (which it sounds like you are).