View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I don't know if I would say that spectators are out of the realm of an umpires jurisdiction. We are responsible for the proceedings of the game (including but not limited to maintaining reasonable order, fair play, player safety, etc...). HOWEVER, (as most basketball officials know) NEVER go into or communicate with anyone in the stands. It's a losing proposition 100% of the time. An official should have game management take care of any situation with the spectators if the official believe it is effecting the proceedings of the game.

In the OP situation, I would have a quick conference with game management (usually around here that is the HC) and have that person removed from the facility. I would treat this violation exactly the same as someone who left the stands in a basketball game. There is no reason for it! That being said, I would go talk with the pitcher, VC, and/or partner while the dirty work is being done. There is no sense to watch the events and make it the center of attention more than it already has become.

Some situations that I am going to address with game management:
  1. Spectator coming onto the field
  2. Spectator using artificial noise device (ie blow horn)
  3. Spectator using blatant inappropriate language
  4. Spectator using racial slurs
  5. Spectator excessively taunting a player

On the other hand, I am never going to have rabbit ears. I have had very few situations of a spectator being out of control. Only one time have I EVER had to address the situation. All the other times the coaches took care of it before I said anything.

-Josh