The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

FED - Force Play Slide Rule

I would like to get some opinions on something that has become a hot topic in my area recently.

Is a forced runner in violation of the FPSR when he a) slides past the bag, or b) slides off to the side away from the fielder when, in both cases he makes no contact with the fielder nor hinders/complicates the play in any manner? Should an automatic out be called on the BR in such cases?

Thanks!

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
I would like to get some opinions on something that has become a hot topic in my area recently.

Is a forced runner in violation of the FPSR when he a) slides past the bag, or b) slides off to the side away from the fielder when, in both cases he makes no contact with the fielder nor hinders/complicates the play in any manner? Should an automatic out be called on the BR in such cases?

Thanks!

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Not an out in either case.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with Bob. If the runner does not hinder or contact the defense, he is not in violation

-Josh
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Since the FED clinic specifically stated that when no contact or hindrance occurs the "iileagl slide is to be ignored" , I'd have to say, no, not an out.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

According to the Rules....

See 2-32-1 and 2 for definition of slide. It explains it pretty well (for once) and then 8-4-2-b also covers it.

In short, those other guys posting before me are correct. I just thought a rule reference might help (a little).
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks!

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Just curious what is the reason for the "hot topic". Are some assuming that it is an illegal slide thus you have to call the DP?

Just wondering what might be causing the confusion.

The same could also be said for the runner who simply runs through the bag, as long as there is no interference of any kind with the play, simply play on.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Just curious what is the reason for the "hot topic". Are some assuming that it is an illegal slide thus you have to call the DP?

Just wondering what might be causing the confusion.

The same could also be said for the runner who simply runs through the bag, as long as there is no interference of any kind with the play, simply play on.

Thanks
David
Apparently there has been an epidemic of automatic double plays being called and some of the coaches have called the assignor and complained, claiming the umpires are handing them out like candy.

This prompted an email discussion within our organization where it became apparent that a large segment of the umpiring group felt that if a forced runner did anything other than slide straight into the bag and stop, that an automatic double play must be called. Oddly, this group seemed to be the majority. This needed to be corrected but they were insistent that they were interpreting it correctly.

I have a copy of the 2006 BRD and play 171-320 is not only a stark example of the interpretation of the rule - but, in my opinion, it goes a bit overboard.

Play 171-320: FED only. Bases loaded: B1 grounds to F4, who fields the ball and throws to F6 to start the double play. F6 catches the throw and forces out R1 as F6 crosses the bag to the right field side. F6 now throws to first as retired R1 begins his slide into second. Retired R1's slide is clearly to the right side of the bag (the side F6 is now on). R1 is sliding towards F6, but he misses the shortstop by a foot or two as F6 keeps moving after the throw. F6's throw is in time to retire BR at 1B; meanwhile, R3 scores. Ruling: Even though it is obvious the runner is illegally sliding toward the fielder, it is not interference. The ball remains alive: two out, R3 in, R2 on third.

As you'll notice, F6 ends up retiring the BR with his throw.

Let's change just one thing in the above case play and tell me if this might make the non-interference call much more difficult to make.

F6 air mails the ball over F3's head and BR advances to 2nd on the wild throw.

Try to sell that non-interference call. Good luck.

The umpire would have to say that the wild throw and the runner's attempt to take out the pivot man were not related. It was just a bad throw having absolutely nothing to do with the runner sliding into 2nd. Although I can see that being a possibility - I don't think I would want to go there.

Make the above call and I guarantee you'll end up having to eject the defensive manager.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

BRD 2008 Section 328 pg 216 [Authoratative opinion 43-328] basically states that if an illegal slide takes place and there is contact or it alters the play, call the interference. Otherwise, there is no call.

Also it sounds as though your association needs more discussion as a group on how they are going to consistently make a decision as an organization and not leave up to the individual. Not being critical however, I have seen organizations that have good discussions on interprtations and some that, well, your on your own. but that is probably another thread.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let's change just one thing in the above case play and tell me if this might make the non-interference call much more difficult to make.

F6 air mails the ball over F3's head and BR advances to 2nd on the wild throw.

Try to sell that non-interference call. Good luck.
You cannot assume interference merely because of a bad throw. Given that between the OP and your addendum, there is nothing that indicates that there was an altering of the fielder's play, I don't have interference.

Quote:
The umpire would have to say that the wild throw and the runner's attempt to take out the pivot man were not related.
Let's look at it conversely--the umpire would have to say that the bad throw was caused by the slide. Try justifying that one without evidence.

Quote:
It was just a bad throw having absolutely nothing to do with the runner sliding into 2nd. Although I can see that being a possibility - I don't think I would want to go there.

Make the above call and I guarantee you'll end up having to eject the defensive manager.
That comes with the job.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a copy of the 2006 BRD and play 171-320 is not only a stark example of the interpretation of the rule - but, in my opinion, it goes a bit overboard.

Play 171-320: FED only. Bases loaded: B1 grounds to F4, who fields the ball and throws to F6 to start the double play. F6 catches the throw and forces out R1 as F6 crosses the bag to the right field side. F6 now throws to first as retired R1 begins his slide into second. Retired R1's slide is clearly to the right side of the bag (the side F6 is now on). R1 is sliding towards F6, but he misses the shortstop by a foot or two as F6 keeps moving after the throw. F6's throw is in time to retire BR at 1B; meanwhile, R3 scores. Ruling: Even though it is obvious the runner is illegally sliding toward the fielder, it is not interference. The ball remains alive: two out, R3 in, R2 on third.
One of the NFHS rules guys (I forget who) opined on this play several years ago on one of the internet forums and issued the opinion that "no contact = no interference."

Frankly, I think he's wrong.

If the slide is through the bag, then contact is needed. If the slide is toward the fielder, then contact is not needed. That's how I read 2-Slide-Illegal (whatever the section number is). The words "and makes contact" are in some of the specific rules, but not in the "fails to slide directly toward the bag" rule.

IT's been noted many, mnay times before, but FED hasn't changes the ruling.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

If he slides toward the fielder, I've got INT. The rule states he must slide "directly into the base" - unless he's going away from the fielder.

concerning the OP - no in both cases.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Is it correct to say the runner at second on a force has to get down or get out of the way? I had a runner today who stayed upright and ran into 2B as F4 was catching and throwing. The defense ended up turning the double play and the play at first was a banger. I was going to call interference on the runner coming to 2B since he didn't slide or get out of the base path.

Also, what mechanic would you guys use when that happens? Safe for the B/R at first, followed by calling him out for interference, or just go straight to the interference call?
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Also, what mechanic would you guys use when that happens? Safe for the B/R at first, followed by calling him out for interference, or just go straight to the interference call?
TIME! (hands up) That's Interference. (point) Out at second (hammer toward 2B) out at first (hammer toward 1B)
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
If he slides toward the fielder, I've got INT. The rule states he must slide "directly into the base" - unless he's going away from the fielder.

concerning the OP - no in both cases.
That's what the OP is talking about. Be careful, there is intent written into the rule. Just because he slides toward the fielder a little and there is no alteration of play, no need to be calling a DP.

In order to get the DP, there should be alteration of the play. There are some very good threads on this topic in the archives, I could not get the link to work right, but it covers this extensively with all of the rules notated.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Is it correct to say the runner at second on a force has to get down or get out of the way? I had a runner today who stayed upright and ran into 2B as F4 was catching and throwing. The defense ended up turning the double play and the play at first was a banger. I was going to call interference on the runner coming to 2B since he didn't slide or get out of the base path.

No FED 8.4.2.b2 " Runners are never required to slide, but if a runner elects to slide, the slide must be legal.

A runner can stay upright as long as he makes no attempt to alter the play.