Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
How so?

Batter 1 sees four pitches, grounds out on the fourth pitch.

Batter 2 sees three pitches, flies out on the third pitch.

Batter 3 sees two pitches, grounds out on the second pitch.

9 pitches.
Sorry I was thinking Strikes !!
Guess that is not so bad !!
Strikes = outs !!!
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:28pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I would agree w/ most posters on here in the fact that on average a 7 inning game should last between 1:20 and 1:40. If you finish one in an hour...that's fast...and of course we have the multiple error, long count, base runners every inning, 14-13 game that touches three hours. We take the good with the bad.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Great job!

I was privileged to work an 11-0 five inning game in 1 hour 15 minutes last year. I was the base ump for the game. It was part of a DH. My plate game was really slow, it was 5-1 in 1:35.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
This game happened three years before I was born. I suddenly don't feel so old.
Five before my birth, grandpa.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Not this season, but have had several full 7 inning games go right about an hour. My top is 57 minutes. 2-1 Ballgame.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

I wish I lived in your parts of the country! A GOOD time around here is 1:45.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

I can't figure other parts of the country. 1:20 would be outstanding time. I had one of those two years ago in the 2nd game of the season. One pitcher pitched a one hitter and the other a 3 hitter in a 1-0 game. 1:55 would be closer to average. Either pitching is really good, or hitting really bad, or both, for varsity games to average between 1:20 and 1:40. JV games are longer because the good pitchers are on the varsity team.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
Congratulations! After the last three varsity scrimmages I have worked the phone call home to the wife began with a reply, "We were getting worried about you!"

After the 3:30, 9 2/3 inning game last year mine doesn't tell me that any more. Partner and I were "gone" for 7 hours...for a JV(w/1:15 time limit) and a varsity game. He figured his wife wouldn't believe him.

Can't come close to the quick games - mine are all 2-2.5 hours with the exceptions of course.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:02pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
An SEC ump once told me, "Make it prove to you it isn't a strike". I give that advice to all young guys.
That is interesting that you mention this. I was sitting thinking last night how other might think when behind the dish. My thought has always been that the pitch is a strike till it isn't. Just wondered what others thought.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

When you have pitchers throwing strikes, fielders making plays, and both teams hustling in and out between innings, 1 hour ball games are not hard to come by. Rarely do all of these things occur in a single ballgame, but every now and then they do, and that means you can throw back a few extra "sodas" after the game before the wife expects you home.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
That is interesting that you mention this. I was sitting thinking last night how other might think when behind the dish. My thought has always been that the pitch is a strike till it isn't. Just wondered what others thought.
Borrowed from Casey Stengel describing the slider: "He throws that pitch that that looks like a strike 'til it isn't."
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 04:15pm
Is this a legal title?

Hmmmmm...

Let's assume:

The clock begins with "PLAY!"

A half-inning averages 5 batters.

A batter completes his at-bat in an average of 1 minute (3-pitch average takes 40 seconds, plus the new batter appears immediately in the box every time).

There is an average of exactly one minute between the last out of a half-inning and the first pitch of the next.

The home team wins every time.

Under these conditions, a game zips along--even with substitutions, stolen bases, pick-off attempts, walks, errors and conferences, a half-inning averages six minutes. A six-and-a-half inning game takes 78 minutes, or 1:18. Add just one minute per half-inning--seven minutes is still quick--and then throw on the bottom of the seventh, and you're up to 1:38.

It may be not uncommon for individual umpires who manage games properly and are routinely rewarded with games played by talented teams, but "average" for an area? I'm talking about the mean time for all games played in an entire season. Read again the conditions it takes to move a game that quickly. That's not average, and I don't care where you live.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
I don't advocate calling a strike when it isn't one, but I like lots of strikes and ground balls!
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 01:01am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
I don't advocate calling a strike when it isn't one, but I like lots of strikes and ground balls!
Never said I called a strike when it wasn't, on purpose. May have by accident. But my thinking is that it needs to prove to me that it is a ball before I call it a ball, otherwise it's a strike.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 01:09am
Do not give a damn!!

I have not worked a game this year, but I have beaten that. I have done games in an hour before. Then again those games are not full 7 innings, but an hour 20 for me is not totally out of the question in many 7 inning games. And I am not talking about scores that are 10-9.

Peace