The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Left Handed Batter

Working the slot, I sometimes have a problem seeing the strike zone clearly with left handers at the plate and the catcher moving to the right to give an inside target.
What options would you suggest to get a better look.
Move back and up???
Anything else.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 09:10pm
Stop staring at me swan.

depends on the size of your F2 compared to you...I've gone right over the top of him depending on size...back and up doesn't always work for me if the catcher is a big dude.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt View Post
Working the slot, I sometimes have a problem seeing the strike zone clearly with left handers at the plate and the catcher moving to the right to give an inside target.
What options would you suggest to get a better look.
Move back and up???
Anything else.
You could ask for a LH catcher. ;-)
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Back and up doesn't seem to work well for me either, whenever the catcher goes over the inside part of the plate. He either gives me the slot or he doesn't.

Maybe move more into the slot whenever the catcher moves to his right with a left handed batter at the plate. That's my best guess but some people may be able to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have similar problem with RH batter and the same catcher moves to his left to setup for inside pitch? Do whatever you do for this sitch when catcher moves to right for inside pitch on LH batter, if that works for you.

For me, if catcher crowds the plate, I memorize where it is. Some will say "move back" or "up", but I have had catchers that crowd so much you simply can't see the entire plate. But you should know where it is..
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Do you have similar problem with RH batter and the same catcher moves to his left to setup for inside pitch? Do whatever you do for this sitch when catcher moves to right for inside pitch on LH batter, if that works for you.

For me, if catcher crowds the plate, I memorize where it is. Some will say "move back" or "up", but I have had catchers that crowd so much you simply can't see the entire plate. But you should know where it is..
It's not the same for right-handed batters vs. left-handed. A right-handed catcher will often not move as far inside with a right-handed batter up for an inside pitch because his glove is on that side. When a left-handed batter is at the plate some right-handed catchers tend to move further to their right.

When I've encountered similar problems and found it difficult to get a good look after adjusting my position I've mentioned the problem to the catcher. Simply let him know that his positioning isn't allowing you to get a good look at the pitch. If he knows what's good for him and his pitcher he'll adjust.