The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Davis New-View Mask by Wilson

I am thinking about getting this mask, does anyone have any kind of feedback? I would appreciate any kind of feedback. Sorry I have no picture, but I know that Gerry Davis sells this product.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

I returned this mask because it was squished in too close to my face and the visor of my (combo) hat was in the way of wearing it properly.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't the Nu-View mask the one that many of the MLB guys were wearing when they received concussions this past season?
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Wasn't the Nu-View mask the one that many of the MLB guys were wearing when they received concussions this past season?
I believe it was.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
It's called the New-View because everything seems hazy after getting hit in the mask by a foul tip. From what others have said about the product. I would not suggest it

-Josh
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandotheman View Post
I am thinking about getting this mask, does anyone have any kind of feedback? I would appreciate any kind of feedback. Sorry I have no picture, but I know that Gerry Davis sells this product.
Does anybody else find it funny that Davis himself wears the feather weight frame with Wilson pads?
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

WTF is this Font size/style changing in this post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
It's called the New-View because everything seems hazy after getting hit in the mask by a foul tip. From what others have said about the product. I would not suggest it

-Josh
Is this supposed to mean something? I found it annoying. Reminded me of the childish high school Freshmen and Sophomores I used to teach.

Thanks in advance for growing up and just using a regular font.

I have used three New View Models-Black for three years, Gray for a year and Titanium since last July.

I have had no problems and have taken a significant number of foul tips and even a direct pitch or two in the mask with no denting, no headaches, no problems whatsoever.

I think it is all related to how tightly you wear the mask. I know of two MiLB umpires with significant concussions last year wearing HSM's. One All-Star and one Diamond.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
Is this supposed to mean something? I found it annoying. Reminded me of the childish high school Freshmen and Sophomores I used to teach.

Thanks in advance for growing up and just using a regular font.

I have used three New View Models-Black for three years, Gray for a year and Titanium since last July.

I have had no problems and have taken a significant number of foul tips and even a direct pitch or two in the mask with no denting, no headaches, no problems whatsoever.

I think it is all related to how tightly you wear the mask. I know of two MiLB umpires with significant concussions last year wearing HSM's. One All-Star and one Diamond.
Lighten up there Dave! {Sarcasm}As you can see from all the other posts in the past, I'm a rampant poster for using multiple font sizes in a single post. I even sometimes use punctuation and capitalization sometimes as well. {/Sarcasm} Making a simple point that many people have received concussions while using this mask. If I could have made the font hazy I would have. However, since making the font hazy wasn't an option, I went with multiple font sizes. Seriously, just answered the question with a little, perhaps misplaced, humor. It's nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

-Josh
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
Does anybody else find it funny that Davis himself wears the feather weight frame with Wilson pads?
What is funny about him wearing a popular mask which is sold by many stores including the one which he owns?
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
What is funny about him wearing a popular mask which is sold by many stores including the one which he owns?
Because his store was adamantly pushing the Chrome Moliben mask when it came out as the "Davis New View" mask.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
Because his store was adamantly pushing the Chrome Moliben mask when it came out as the "Davis New View" mask.
I still don't get it. The feather weight which you say he wears is called the "Davis Feather Weight Mask".
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know where you stand, but I have NEVER been hit with a foul tip.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

It's cool..... but

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
..... It's nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.-Josh
I go commando. How do I fix it now?

Humor intended.

I got a little crazy when the post gave me a headache with the ransom note looking typeset.

Seriously though, I have not seen any credible evidence that any specific mask is related to any specific injury. There can be several, if not many, factors that caused the injuries to some of these guys. As I said earlier, two that I know of personally, were HSM wearers. I'm sure some were wearing new-view, some were traditional style, various manufacturers involved, etc.

I think that the fit of the mask, the speed of the ball at the time of the hit, the angle of your neck, spot on the mask or hsm where the ball hits, possible flinching immediately before the hit, etc., etc., etc. are ALL factors. We are just speculating and branding a certain style of mask as the culprit.

I don't think we can scientifically or with any degree of certainty determine a single cause or pinpoint the injuries to any single style or brand of the equipment with all of these factors.

As I said, I wore the black new-view mask as my only mask for two seasons with no problems whatsoever, got the gray one and no problems, now the Titanium and no problems. I also had a Honig's single bar traditional and no problems there either. I wear all my masks very loose and they usually spin and sometimes actually fall off my head when hit. I have not had headaches, jaw aches, sore spots, neck stiffness, etc. from any of the hits which are at least 14 or more times with any of the masks I wear. ( I work primarily high school varsity, American Legion in the summer, NAIA, NCAA D-II and D-III and some very good 14yo and up travel ball in the summer)

So, unless someone has research based data,-Stop spreading rumours. We are all at risk of injury with anything we wear. We know this going into the job. Right?
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
I don't know where you stand, but I have NEVER been hit with a foul tip.
Good point It's impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
I go commando. How do I fix it now?

Humor intended.

I got a little crazy when the post gave me a headache with the ransom note looking typeset.

Seriously though, I have not seen any credible evidence that any specific mask is related to any specific injury. There can be several, if not many, factors that caused the injuries to some of these guys. As I said earlier, two that I know of personally, were HSM wearers. I'm sure some were wearing new-view, some were traditional style, various manufacturers involved, etc.

I think that the fit of the mask, the speed of the ball at the time of the hit, the angle of your neck, spot on the mask or hsm where the ball hits, possible flinching immediately before the hit, etc., etc., etc. are ALL factors. We are just speculating and branding a certain style of mask as the culprit.

I don't think we can scientifically or with any degree of certainty determine a single cause or pinpoint the injuries to any single style or brand of the equipment with all of these factors.

As I said, I wore the black new-view mask as my only mask for two seasons with no problems whatsoever, got the gray one and no problems, now the Titanium and no problems. I also had a Honig's single bar traditional and no problems there either. I wear all my masks very loose and they usually spin and sometimes actually fall off my head when hit. I have not had headaches, jaw aches, sore spots, neck stiffness, etc. from any of the hits which are at least 14 or more times with any of the masks I wear. ( I work primarily high school varsity, American Legion in the summer, NAIA, NCAA D-II and D-III and some very good 14yo and up travel ball in the summer)

So, unless someone has research based data,-Stop spreading rumours. We are all at risk of injury with anything we wear. We know this going into the job. Right?
You're never going to find any credit research because it's not worth the researcher's time to invest money into such a small market. On the other hand, you're never going to find credit research that isn't the case either.

You are correct I probably shouldn't spread "rumors" but the question was "Wasn't the Nu-View mask the one that many of the MLB guys were wearing when they received concussions this past season?". I think it's a true statement that some umpires in the past season received concussions while wearing the mask. Am I wrong? Anyways...Bury the topic

-Josh
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

How many more threads are we going to have about this mask?