The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Diamond Bag

I received my new equipment bag yesterday. I looked at the reviews of the Evans bag online, but I haven't seen one in person. I have a couple of buddies who have the Wilson, and they like it. One of my buddies has a connection who made me a good deal on the Diamond, so I bought it. I've never been excited about the look of the Diamond, but like I said, I got a good deal.

I bought the 36", and the thing is huge. "Bulky" is a good term for the bag. I use a garment bag for my shirts, pants, and jackets, so I don't need the top shelf for them. This gives me tons of room for caps, ball bags, undergear, etc.

I like the shoe compartment on the end. Very roomy.
The top flap is nice. Plenty of smaller compartments for accessories.
Zippers and rollers seem to be heavy duty.
All in all, I'm pleased.
Play ball!!!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

How do you pack your shoes in the bag...i have a hard time fitting my plate shoes and base shoes in there?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
I received my new equipment bag yesterday. I looked at the reviews of the Evans bag online, but I haven't seen one in person. I have a couple of buddies who have the Wilson, and they like it. One of my buddies has a connection who made me a good deal on the Diamond, so I bought it. I've never been excited about the look of the Diamond, but like I said, I got a good deal.

I bought the 36", and the thing is huge. "Bulky" is a good term for the bag. I use a garment bag for my shirts, pants, and jackets, so I don't need the top shelf for them. This gives me tons of room for caps, ball bags, undergear, etc.

All in all, I'm pleased.
Play ball!!!
Good choice!

The Wilson may look better, but the Diamond is made of a thicker material (850 D to the Wilson's 600 D), and I also think the zippers appear to be more durable. And those mesh pockets in the top flap also are a plus over the Wilson.

Buddy, the sense of security you gain is cool. If you have this one bag in your car, you have every piece of gear and accessories that you need to umpire a ballgame.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

All in all, I'm pleased.
Play ball!!!
I was looking at this bag and the Wilson. Unfortunately, I cannot find a sports store around here that carries either. Who would have thought that From the looks of the pictures of the Diamond bag on www.ump-attire.com, it looks like the chest protector is a soft-style that can be partially rolled up. I'm curious if my WV Platinum CP would fit in this bag with my WV Pro SG. Any opinions? Then again, I have that question about both bags

-Josh
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Is the Diamond Bag garment compartment long enough that you can put your clothes onto hangers and then carry it around vertically? I just use a second hand garment bag where I put clothes hangers, and which I assume will also fit hats, ballbags and protective equipment. Then shoes I will put in a separate carryable bag. A much better deal in my opinion as I don't want to have to worry about folding all my shirts. Much better just to put them on hangers.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Answers to Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I'm curious if my WV Platinum CP would fit in this bag with my WV Pro SG.
Yes, those items fit either bags. And in the Diamond, they'll fit in either the 30" or 36".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Is the Diamond Bag garment compartment long enough that you can put your clothes onto hangers and then carry it around vertically?
No, they're big but not that big.

Jim Kirk
Owner
www.ump-attire.com
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirk View Post
Yes, those items fit either bags. And in the Diamond, they'll fit in either the 30" or 36".

No, they're big but not that big.

Jim Kirk
Owner
www.ump-attire.com
Thanks Jim. Would it be possible to get a picture of the bottom compartment of the Wilson bag?

-Josh
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

The Platinum lays down on the bottom, with the shoulder area curved up the side, with the Golds on the bottom edge.

And on the 36-inch model, there’s room at the end for a HSM, and the space between the Platinum and the Gold Shins accommodates a pair of high tops and a mask.

(I normally keep all that stuff in bags, of course.)
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

The Diamond bag is nuts. In the top compartments, I put the following:
Left: Four Black caps and three navy caps in two Cap Keeps; Travel Kit with personal supplies
Center: Two pairs of leggings; one compression short; two cups; two belts; two knee braces; two ankle braces; two thigh braces; one back brace; two black ball bags; two navy ball bags
Right: Four mock-neck tees; four long-sleeve mock-neck undershirts; four crew-neck undershirts; gloves
And in that separate vented end compartment: Base shoes; sock bag

And in the flap, there are special open-end mesh pockets for your lineup card wallet and plate brush, and on either side of those, zippered mesh pockets for several indicators, stopwatch, pens, pencils, highlighter, patches, shoehorns, shoelaces, etc. On the bottom, there are two spacious closed storage pockets for wet bags, towels, and other foldable items, and in the center, a cell phone velcro pocket.

And on the front of this bag is a spacious instant access zippered pocket!

Those of you who are now sold on this magnificent equipment bag can obtain yours by clicking this link:
http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=1

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 05:23pm.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Geez, after being compelled to think about it: I have almost $2000.00 worth of stuff in that bag! I lose that and I'm out a who-o-o-o-o-le lot of game fees!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

And, Josh,

The Wilson's bottom compartment is identical to the Diamond's.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the pics. Too bad I didn't see those BEFORE I spent most of the night using the trial and error method! On second thought, I was like a kid at Christmas. It was fun.

I basically loaded my bag the same way, and ironically my wife looked at it and said, "You spend a lot of money on umpiring equipment!"
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 05:54pm
Archaic Power Monger

Looking at Kevin's bag makes me realize how much equipment we actually use in baseball. In comparison, I need so little for football.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
thanks for the pics. Too bad i didn't see those before i spent most of the night using the trial and error method! On second thought, i was like a kid at christmas. It was fun.

I basically loaded my bag the same way, and ironically my wife looked at it and said, "you spend a lot of money on umpiring equipment!"

And you're welcome on the pics. You gotta' love digital.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 06:59pm.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Looking at Kevin's bag makes me realize how much equipment we actually use in baseball. In comparison, I need so little for football.
That's one of the principal reasons I don't do football.