The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Correct FED balk mechanic? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/51723-correct-fed-balk-mechanic.html)

mrm21711 Tue Feb 17, 2009 09:19pm

Correct FED balk mechanic?

I know from the blue PBUC manual that they teach the correct mechanic is to point "Thats a balk" and then to call time if there is no action that follows.

My question is under FED - is it correct to call "Thats a balk...Time" or "Time...thats a balk" while pointing?

johnnyg08 Tue Feb 17, 2009 09:21pm

"Time, that's a balk." In FED, nothing can happend after a balk. Unlike OBR.

voiceoflg Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 580539)

I'm curious...why the difference? Why can something happen after a balk in OBR and not in FED? I'd love to pass it on to my listeners.

Thanks.

johnnyg08 Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:29pm

Sure, the hitter could hit a homerun.

Why the difference?...Well, the simple answer is that there is a rule difference between Fed and OBR.

I'll post one example below, however there are several instances where a play could occur after a balk in OBR.

Page 72 PBUC manual. If the balk is followed by a batted ball, leave the ball in play until it is apparent that the batter and all runners will not advance one base. At that moment, call "Time" and enforce the balk.

Hope that helps. Others will probably chime in as well.

jicecone Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43pm

In Federation ball it is an immediate dead ball.

OBR is, as already stated.

bossman72 Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:12am

I always point and call "That's a balk" because it's transitional between leagues. If I throw my hands up (like when calling time) when I call a balk in FED, no problem. However, the habit may carry over into OBR season, which can put you in deep doo doo.

Umpmazza Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:20am

Quote:

never say time 1st.. always " Thats a balk, time" that way the coaches know whats going on.

tballump Wed Feb 18, 2009 03:56am

Quote:

In FED, since nothing can happen after a balk, the balk basically kills all action and therefor basically has two meanings (balk and time) all wrapped into one. To make things more uniform, it would seem at all levels, just call 'that's a balk' and then add "time" right after if appropriate, FED-always, OBR, etc.-depends on the situation.

And while we are at it, why can baseball not take the lead and have a uniform set of rules and interpretations for all leagues, starting at the LL level all the way up, except for a few extra safety rules and substitution rules? Start with the OBR for the rules and interpretations and then just add in a uniform set of safety rules and substitution rules? (Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer, wasn't that a song?)

mbyron Wed Feb 18, 2009 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 580549)
I'm curious...why the difference? Why can something happen after a balk in OBR and not in FED? I'd love to pass it on to my listeners.

Thanks.

To answer the OP: yes, "Time! That's a balk!" is the "correct" FED mechanic, if you go by the FED umpire manual. I do not, however, know anyone who goes by the FED umpire manual. Everyone I know does it as you've been advised to do: always call out the balk first.

To answer voiceoflg: FED changed balk enforcement a long time ago in observance of one of their officiating principles: make officiating more uniform. In their view too many umpires failed to understand when the ball becomes dead after a balk. So to simplify it, they made the ball dead immediately.

OBR leaves the ball live after a balk in case the pitcher pitches it. This gives the offense a little edge, since the batter might hit it and score a runner. The rulesmakers wanted that to count, to provide even more disincentive against illegal deception by the pitcher. So if the batter and each runner reach their advance bases, the balk is ignored; otherwise, the umpire will call time at the end of playing action (which is often the pitcher standing there holding the ball looking confused) and enforce the balk.

Ump29 Wed Feb 18, 2009 08:56am

Quote "And while we are at it, why can baseball not take the lead and have a uniform set of rules and interpretations for all leagues, starting at the LL level all the way up, except for a few extra safety rules and substitution rules? Start with the OBR for the rules and interpretations and then just add in a uniform set of safety rules and substitution rules? (Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer, wasn't that a song?)"
This is what is done in Canada. !!!

johnnyg08 Wed Feb 18, 2009 09:21am

I used the official mechanic for the OP, under the impression that he was sharing his thoughts with non-umpires. I agree w/ the poster who work both FED and OBR...that there can be some confusion mechanically between the FED mechanic and OBR mechanic.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tballump (Post 580615)
In FED, since nothing can happen after a balk, the balk basically kills all action and therefor basically has two meanings (balk and time) all wrapped into one. To make things more uniform, it would seem at all levels, just call 'that's a balk' and then add "time" right after if appropriate, FED-always, OBR, etc.-depends on the situation.

And while we are at it, why can baseball not take the lead and have a uniform set of rules and interpretations for all leagues, starting at the LL level all the way up, except for a few extra safety rules and substitution rules? Start with the OBR for the rules and interpretations and then just add in a uniform set of safety rules and substitution rules? (Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer, wasn't that a song?)

I firmly believe that, if the rules are not going to be uniform, all youth leagues should play by FED rules. Most kids are done playing after high school, so there's no reason to play under OBR ever in their playing days. But after PONY or LL, no kid is ready--rule wise--to play high school. I'm not sure which is dumber: having two sets of rules, or having pre-HS players playing by the official rules.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 580625)
To answer the OP: yes, "Time! That's a balk!" is the "correct" FED mechanic, if you go by the FED umpire manual. I do not, however, know anyone who goes by the FED umpire manual. ...

:D (I almost broke my chair laughing)

budjones05 Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:38am

Time, That's a balk, start with the most advance runner and work your way around the diamond.

MrUmpire Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 580625)
To answer voiceoflg: FED changed balk enforcement a long time ago in observance of one of their officiating principles: make officiating more uniform. In their view too many umpires failed to understand when the ball becomes dead after a balk. So to simplify it, they made the ball dead immediately.

Actually, OBR's balk rule was the same as FED's, in regards to an immediate deadball, and they changed some time go. I'd have to check my notes, but I think it was in the 50's.