The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Correct FED balk mechanic? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/51723-correct-fed-balk-mechanic.html)

ManInBlue Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 582223)
Interesting that an NCAA clinic would tell you to call TIME, THAT's A BALK, since it is not immediate dead ball in NCAA, it's like OBR. FED is the one that is different.

The proper mechanic, for all levels, is THAT's A BALK. For FED this means time is called, for NCAA and OBR it is delayed dead, depending on what happens with the pitch, if one is delivered.

I apologize if that's the way it sounded. I was using the FPSR application from the clinic and moving it over into a similar immediate dead ball situation. I did not mean to imply that at the clinic they taught us to call time on the balk. That was not my intent.

I meant that we were told to call time first on the FPSR then relay the "foul." It would be the same in FED with the balk.

ManInBlue Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 582231)
Get your money back.

I see your point - but you didn't quote all of it - and that's not what I said, not what I meant to say anyway.

I started the post with a comment on the FPSR - it is an immediate dead ball - the proper mechanic is (as we were told) "(hands up) Time, (pointing) that's interference, out at second, out at first" - Translate that into a FED balk - kill it first

But thanks for misquoting and thanks for the advice.:confused:

DG Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 582237)
I apologize if that's the way it sounded. I was using the FPSR application from the clinic and moving it over into a similar immediate dead ball situation. I did not mean to imply that at the clinic they taught us to call time on the balk. That was not my intent.

I meant that we were told to call time first on the FPSR then relay the "foul." It would be the same in FED with the balk.

FED mechanic, like all others, is to call the balk, calling TIME is not needed.

MrUmpire Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 582241)
I see your point - but you didn't quote all of it - and that's not what I said, not what I meant to say anyway.

I started the post with a comment on the FPSR - it is an immediate dead ball - the proper mechanic is (as we were told) "(hands up) Time, (pointing) that's interference, out at second, out at first" - Translate that into a FED balk - kill it first

But thanks for misquoting and thanks for the advice.:confused:

No, I didn't misquote. I copied and pasted your words. Edit? Sure.

Not being I mind reader, I didn't know what you meant, only what you said.

ManInBlue Mon Feb 23, 2009 03:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 582246)
No, I didn't misquote. I copied and pasted your words. Edit? Sure.

Not being I mind reader, I didn't know what you meant, only what you said.

I apologized for it being poorly written. And I understand how it could be (was) misread. Yes those were my words and they were taken out of context - changed the meaning completely.

It's over and it's been clarified. - original post edited for clarity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 582243)
FED mechanic, like all others, is to call the balk, calling TIME is not needed.

You'll have to ding me on the eval. I'm calling TIME first. It leaves no doubt that nothing else can happen. Not everyone knows the rules as well as we do - remove the question up front.

I agree to disagree on the definition of "proper."

mbyron Mon Feb 23, 2009 08:21am

FED has changed their umpire manual since the last time I looked at it.

Page 31, "Game Situations":

16) BALKS. The umpire calling the balk shall point to the pitcher and call loudly, "That's a balk!" The ball is dead at the time of the balk. Umpires should signal a dead ball while calling out, "That's a balk!"

That's the entire FED mechanic for balks.

That's different from OBR mechanic, at least the one that Jim Evans taught me. According to pro instruction, the umpire is to call out the balk when it occurs. Then let play continue until playing action has stopped. Then call time and, if necessary, enforce the balk.

Calling time is an essential part of the OBR mechanic, since the ball is not dead immediately upon the balk.

MrUmpire Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 582289)
16) BALKS. The umpire calling the balk shall point to the pitcher and call loudly, "That's a balk!" <Snip>

Umpires should signal a dead ball while calling out, "That's a balk!"

:rolleyes:

eagle_12 Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12pm

I was told by an clinician that in either case of the ball staying live (OBR,NCAA) or being dead (FED) that sometimes calling the balk a little louder goes a long way. He said that he had two reasons for it.

1. By being authoratative on the call, you show that you are 100% sure you saw a balk and it truly was a balk. You wouldn't have a weak call that may seem like you are unsure.

2. It tends to startle to pitcher to where he won't throw the pitch, or everyone freezes and then you can easily make your awards.

The downside is though in OBR where the ball is still in play, you could potentially harm the offense.

In my experiences everyone has just "frozen" no matter what level except for just one time. The pitcher balked in his throw to first base and overthrew the ball down the RF line. The ball is still live and the runner circled the bases. This is the only time when both teams didn't just stop playing, but the reason was the coach of the offensive team was also an umpire

LDUB Mon Feb 23, 2009 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle_12 (Post 582365)
2. It tends to startle to pitcher to where he won't throw the pitch, or everyone freezes and then you can easily make your awards.

That is flawed on several levels. It isn't your job to scare players to stop playing action. You should know what you are doing so any balk situation would be easy for you.

If you're calling a balk for the pitcher not stopping and you are trying to scare him into stopping then you have to call the balk really quick after he raises his free foot; if you take too much time you won't be able to stop him from pitching. So he doesn't stop and raises his free foot and you call the balk and then he ends up throwing to a base...what do you do then?

Trying to startle the pitcher into stopping is about as dumb as thinking proper timing means counting to two before announcing the call; both are techniques thought up by incompetent know nothings.

DG Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle_12 (Post 582365)
I was told by an clinician that in either case of the ball staying live (OBR,NCAA) or being dead (FED) that sometimes calling the balk a little louder goes a long way. He said that he had two reasons for it.

1. By being authoratative on the call, you show that you are 100% sure you saw a balk and it truly was a balk. You wouldn't have a weak call that may seem like you are unsure.

The downside is though in OBR where the ball is still in play, you could potentially harm the offense.

In my experiences everyone has just "frozen" no matter what level except for just one time. The pitcher balked in his throw to first base and overthrew the ball down the RF line. The ball is still live and the runner circled the bases. This is the only time when both teams didn't just stop playing, but the reason was the coach of the offensive team was also an umpire

I saw a very good D1 ump this weekend call a balk by walking out from behind the plate calling it. Now that might be a strong call, but what if pitcher threw the ball? He would be way out of position.

Publius Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:28pm

A time when the pitch almost OUGHT to get delivered is in a non-FED game on a no-stop balk.

About twenty years ago, after calling "That's a balk!", only to see the lefty throw over to first, I immediately adjusted. Ever since, when F1 doesn't stop, I've waited to see the stride leg land toward the plate before calling the balk. By that time, the pitch is almost always getting delivered. And if he then goes to first, I've got a step balk.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 24, 2009 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 582617)
I saw a very good D1 ump this weekend call a balk by walking out from behind the plate calling it. Now that might be a strong call, but what if pitcher threw the ball? He would be way out of position.

What was the balk for? Maybe the ball was already dead, so the pitch "didn't happen."