The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody ever toss a guy ...

... for orchestrating?

I saw this at a JC game. Home team starts out loud and then resorts to churlish chanting. UIC unofficially signals to them to tone it down, and a little later voices a directive to keep it sportsmanlike. That last about five minutes and then, suddenly, the base umpire waves a guy from the B position. "Number twenty-six is out of the game for orchestrating!"
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
... for orchestrating?

I saw this at a JC game. Home team starts out loud and then resorts to churlish chanting. UIC unofficially signals to them to tone it down, and a little later voices a directive to keep it sportsmanlike. That last about five minutes and then, suddenly, the base umpire waves a guy from the B position. "Number twenty-six is out of the game for orchestrating!"
M-W Orchestrate: 2: to arrange or combine so as to achieve a desired or maximum effect (orchestrated preparations for the banquet)

So he tossed 26 for setting up and leading the chanting that they were told to tone down. Who would you have tossed?
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... for orchestrating?

This is a POE in NCAA ball this year.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
M-W Orchestrate: 2: to arrange or combine so as to achieve a desired or maximum effect (orchestrated preparations for the banquet)

So he tossed 26 for setting up and leading the chanting that they were told to tone down. Who would you have tossed?
No, I agree! I loved it!

It was called against the opponent of my son's team and it happened while I was going on to those I was with about how bush it is and how they're using up all their energy chanting instead of playing a twin-bill.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 10:42pm.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I did a HSJV game last year, with a hot headed partner that was behind the plate. There was a guy in the stands that was heckeling him about his strike zone. PU turns around and yell's, " you are out of here" and walked over to the fence and waited until the guy left. But he didn't totally leave, he just moved over to the side behind the dugout. when the PU saw him, he stopped the game again and yelled at him to leave.

How Ironic it was that the heckeler did not have any kids at either school and infact was a quaified top official for football. he was just playing around, and everything backfired.

I knew that the PU was out of line to just throw him out( he should have found the school AD), but I was too new to do anything. That was the last game the PU was assigned last year!
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, man! I would never give a fan the satisfaction of even knowing I hear him or her. Never. A coach will be told to control his side if it is unacceptable abuse of an opponent, but I would have to have Andrew Dice Clay laying it on me to do something about. And only then it would be for the sake of the audience.

The JC scene in and around LA is ludicrous. There is so much taunting of the opponents and so much idiocy in the stands, it's laughable.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:12am

Quote:
Oh, man! I would never give a fan the satisfaction of even knowing I hear him or her. Never. A coach will be told to control his side if it is unacceptable abuse of an opponent, but I would have to have Andrew Dice Clay laying it on me to do something about. And only then it would be for the sake of the audience.
Yes, but the fellow official ragging the umpire should be ashamed of himself, kidding around or not. I've had fellow umpires sit in the stands and think they were being funny by ragging on me, which got others in the crowd going. We are taught to never do this to a fellow official, but some people are just jagoffs.

My "orchestration" (or "demonstration") story:

HS Varsity game, c. 1988, Coach came out on me, gave me his ration of crap. After he started repeating himself, I told him, "that's enough, get back in the dugout now!" Then he does his best Steve Martin impersonation and says, "Well, excuuuuuuuuse me!" At the same time he's saying this, he does one of those old "salami, salami, baloney" deep bows.

He was gone before he got completely raised back up!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25