Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing it in HD.
I wonder how much difference HD will make. Some of the interviews Burns filmed might have been shot on film (not videotape), and those could be scaled to HD. But historical footage for virtually the entire history of baseball will not be in HD, and that must constitute the vast majority of images.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Good to see a Baseball Channel.

Now if I could only get Directv to split up Extra Innings. I don't need every ballgame on every night. Can't they just charge less so I can see all of one team's games?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Of course it's a minority opinion -- Jeff is a minority.

For the record, I don't get (I assume -- I haven't checked my cable provider), nor will I complain about not getting, the MLB (or any other sport-specific) network.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
So? You're attempting to be nit-picky. I've seen the series and liked it very much. I'm looking forward to seeing it in HD.
Nit-picky? Hardly.

Burns is a filmmaker, not a baseball man of any kind. It shows throughout every minute of that bloated 18-hour sanctimonious offering. I'm glad you enjoyed it. As a baseball film archive exploration exercise, it was an accomplishment. As a factual documentary, it was a failure. When I watch a "documentary" I am interested in facts. If you have 18 hours to document something, it is likely that a reasonably complete historical picture can be painted. A great many more facts should be presented and a balanced view of the game as seen through the eyes of its participants was what was in order. Not the personal remembrances of Burns's high-brow friends.

Ken Burns has almost zero respect for true baseball followers. He dismissed us completely when all of the errors and butchery and glossing was originally addressed when this thing came out in the mid-90s. I am not a Civil War expert, so I don't know how inaccurate that was. I am a baseball expert. Ken Burns tried to pass off his self indulgence as a historical baseball documentary. It is not. Because he is not a baseball man.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sat Jan 03, 2009 at 10:23am.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

If you have Dish Network you won't receive this channel. The negotiations went bad with Extra Innings for Dish and MLB Network was part of the deal.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Nit-picky? Hardly.

Burns is a filmmaker, not a baseball man of any kind. It shows throughout every minute of that bloated 18-hour sanctimonious offering. I'm glad you enjoyed it. As a baseball film archive exploration exercise, it was an accomplishment. As a factual documentary, it was a failure. When I watch a "documentary" I am interested in facts. If you have 18 hours to document something, it is likely that a reasonably complete historical picture can be painted. A great many more facts should be presented and a balanced view of the game as seen through the eyes of its participants was what was in order. Not the personal remembrances of Burns's high-brow friends.

Ken Burns has almost zero respect for true baseball followers. He dismissed us completely when all of the errors and butchery and glossing was originally addressed when this thing came out in the mid-90s. I am not a Civil War expert, so I don't know how inaccurate that was. I am a baseball expert. Ken Burns tried to pass off his self indulgence as a historical baseball documentary. It is not. Because he is not a baseball man.
OK, now we are way OT, but hey, its the off season. The History major in me is about to shine - but on an officiating board. Oh well, gotta gloat somewhere

In history circles, Ken Burns' "The Civil War" was acclaimed for its all encompassing look at many aspects of the war. At the time, it was considered the "final" history, something that never needed fixing because it was perfect.

Since its release, it has become clear that he paid attention too much to the common story of sectionalism (Industrial North vs. Agraian South) instead of the complexities and schisms in each region. Also, Burns has failed to discuss the ways in which African Americans pursued and won their own freedom, and instead focuses narrowly on the North's supposed position of morality and Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation.

All in all, the transcripts revealed throughout the documentary are splendid, and it is a great piece if you want to learn mainly about how the Civil War played out in the political, military, and white society arenas.

I'm done. If you got this far, props. Sorry mods, couldn't let it pass.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Great stuff! Thanks for it.

BASEBALL was picked apart a lot earlier, because, frankly, baseball experts overwhelmed the guy with how many of us there are. He thought he could slip 18 hours of that by us and call it "a history." And the way he reacted to the torrent of criticism was a delight to see at the time and remains a delight to recall.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sat Jan 03, 2009 at 06:35pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 02:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Well if you feel the documentary was not a good source of history, then someone should create a better depiction of the history of baseball. There are a million books of the Kennedy Assassination or the Vietnam War; all do not have the same point of view. You make it sound like there is only one point of view about the history of baseball. It has been said that the real truth of history comes from the person that writes it.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well if you feel the documentary was not a good source of history, then someone should create a better depiction of the history of baseball. There are a million books of the Kennedy Assassination or the Vietnam War; all do not have the same point of view. You make it sound like there is only one point of view about the history of baseball. It has been said that the real truth of history comes from the person that writes it.

Peace
I'm one of the people who felt that the grand old game should have its history written and recorded by baseball people. Burns is a fraud.

I'm not hard to please. An honest filmmaker making an honest effort would have yielded an acceptable work. And it would have probably been profitable--a Burns priority (before accuracy). I will never be among those who want to see it recorded by a guy who has author George Plimpton describe Bobby Thomson's Shot Heard 'Round The World rather than Bobby Thomson and Ralph Branca themselves. (They each told me shortly after that time that they weren't even contacted.) And there are dozens of events that we have to endure a bunch of other accomplished intellectuals who happen to know a baseball when they see it. Make a film about evolution and hear them wax about that---this is baseball! I don't care what Doris Kearns Goodwin has to say about baseball, I care what she has to say about American history. I care what baseball people have to say about baseball. And you make an 18-hour film about anything, and it should be complete. I'm still waiting for the history after the Dodgers and Giants moved West. There was some interesting stuff then, also.

Some enjoyable old films, though ... even if some of the films shown are of different events than they are claiming to be.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 10:49am.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm one of the people who felt that the grand old game should have its history written and recorded by baseball people. Burns is a fraud.

I'm not hard to please. An honest filmmaker making an honest effort would have yielded an acceptable work. And it would have probably been profitable--a Burns priority (before accuracy). I will never be among those who want to see it recorded by a guy who has author George Plimpton describe Bobby Thomson's Shot Heard 'Round The World rather than Bobby Thomson and Ralph Branca themselves. (They each told me shortly after that time that they weren't even contacted.) And there are dozens of events that we have to endure a bunch of other accomplished intellectuals who happen to know a baseball when they see it. Make a film about evolution and hear them wax about that---this is baseball! I don't care what Doris Kearns Goodwin has to say about baseball, I care what she has to say about American history. I care what baseball people have to say about baseball. And you make an 18-hour film about anything, and it should be complete. I'm still waiting for the history after the Dodgers and Giants moved West. There was some interesting stuff then, also.

Some enjoyable old films, though ... even if some of the films shown are of different events than they are claiming to be.
I remember enjoying Burns's Baseball when it came out until Keith Olbermann put in a lot of research detailing all the inaccuracies. Still some great footage, but it reminds me of most nostalgia - not exactly factually accurate.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

We ripped it apart at the outset.

I even attended a Q & A with Burns after viewing a pre-release copy and reading part of the companion book. You know how non-baseball people are when you expose their total lack of knowledge or feel for the game? He was one of the worst, because he thought he knew the game and was intent on keeping up that front despite being exposed by a roomful of baseball experts. He did everything but cry and take his toys home.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 08:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I remember enjoying Burns's Baseball when it came out until Keith Olbermann put in a lot of research detailing all the inaccuracies.
Yes, tearing people down and spouting off at the mouth are two things Keith Olbermann is very adept at.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Are you saying that Burns is much different than people that believe a fat, out of shape player could not be surpassed by players of today that make millions and work out all the time, but only do so with drugs?

OK....whatever you say.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

time warner has MLB, and NBA, no NHL or NFL...Time Warner was also a day away from no MTV, VH1, Nick, Comedy or Spike...I am sure my bill is going up because of MLB
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 11:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Yes, tearing people down and spouting off at the mouth are two things Keith Olbermann is very adept at.
I guess the truth hurts.

Peace
Closed Thread