The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

PBUC/MiLB Mechanics

This thread is directed towards those of you who have current ties to PBUC/MiLB and are familiar with the mechanics they want taught and used. I was at a Florida State League (A) game the other night and noticed a couple of things I thought to be very strange.

1) Whenever calling a called strike, PU would point but continue looking straight ahead. Is this the new mechanic, replacing the short-lived hammer? Do they teach keeping eyes on the field in the 2-man system?

2) On routine outs on the bases, BU would signal the out call up around his head, with his right elbow maybe chin high. Is this the new mechanic too?

Anybody who can help me out- very much appreciated
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
1) Whenever calling a called strike, PU would point but continue looking straight ahead. Is this the new mechanic, replacing the short-lived hammer? Do they teach keeping eyes on the field in the 2-man system?
i might not have the "proper" answer to this question since i have no MiLB ties...but i have read and have been told to keep my eyes on the field and not turn to the side while pointing. i point to the right while looking ahead on swinging strikes, but i use the hammer on called strikes (GD does/did this combo).

keeping your eyes on the field when working 2 man (or 1 man) isn't a new idea...but those who have worked up and have looked to the side seem to have stuck with that from what i have seen. i can only think of a small handful of side pointers ive worked with that don't look to the side, and they are younger umpires.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

mattmets,

Though I have no ties to MiLB, I did attend the Desert Classic last year.

For the mechanics part of the Classic, they taught from the PBUC "Red Book".

1. We were quite specifically and emphatically taught to keep facing forward, eyes on the ball while giving a strike mechanic. During the cagework drills, they had all students use the "hammer". On the last day of class, they allowed "personalization" of the mechanic and either a point or hammer was fine - as long as you kept facing forward, eyes on the ball.

2. For the out mechanic, we were taught to raise our upper arm to the point that it was parallel to the ground, and give a crisp hammering motion, like a knock on a door.

Sounds like what you saw was what we were taught.

JM
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
mattmets,

Though I have no ties to MiLB, I did attend the Desert Classic last year.

For the mechanics part of the Classic, they taught from the PBUC "Red Book".

1. We were quite specifically and emphatically taught to keep facing forward, eyes on the ball while giving a strike mechanic. During the cagework drills, they had all students use the "hammer". On the last day of class, they allowed "personalization" of the mechanic and either a point or hammer was fine - as long as you kept facing forward, eyes on the ball.

2. For the out mechanic, we were taught to raise our upper arm to the point that it was parallel to the ground, and give a crisp hammering motion, like a knock on a door.

Sounds like what you saw was what we were taught.

JM
That's exactly what I was asking....and if you got it from the "Red Book" I can't really ask for more. Everything I saw just seemed odd because it was so robotic more than personalized. Oh well, when in Rome....
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Remember too that these guys are just a couple weeks into their 1st professional season. PBUC stresses adherence to the red book mechanics and wants them done in a particular manner.

Think of your first few games ....
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Everything I saw just seemed odd because it was so robotic more than personalized.
Where you see "robotic," PBUC evaluators see "uniform." MiLB, in its wisdom, has determined that it wants umpires that function correctly, not umpires with style. And so PBUC tweaks its mechanics in order to position 2 or 3 umpires optimally for the majority of calls. The umpires with the greatest conformity to the PBUC standard and game management skills (they're all expected to be 100% on the rules) are the ones who move up.

MLB is, naturally, another story.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

And,

Matt:

Just wondered if you noticed anything more about the BU at your game?

My MiLB contact has said that there are two additional requirements for BUs that are being tested:

1) As a pitch is delivered the BU (when working inside the diamond) is required to be moving towards the next "potential" play . . . by the time F2 returns the ball to F1 the BU is required to be back to his initial position and,

2) All "first calls" (with the exception of the double play pivot activity) are to be made by the BU at the edge of the cutout of the base. Any second call made in the infield is to be made from the working area behind the mound.

I just wondered if you noticed these activities?

Regards,
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Matt:

My MiLB contact has said that there are two additional requirements for BUs that are being tested:

1) As a pitch is delivered the BU (when working inside the diamond) is required to be moving towards the next "potential" play . . . by the time F2 returns the ball to F1 the BU is required to be back to his initial position and,

2) All "first calls" (with the exception of the double play pivot activity) are to be made by the BU at the edge of the cutout of the base. Any second call made in the infield is to be made from the working area behind the mound.

Regards,
Tim -- Can you explain these more, because they make no sense to me.

1) How do you know where "the next potential play" is until the ball is hit (or not), or the runner moves (or not), etc? And, if it's good for an umpire in B or C, why isn't it good for an umpire in A?

2) Does this mean that with R2 only and a grounder to F6 that the out call at first should be made from the cutout at first? Then try to get back to the working area for a second call at thrid on R2?

(Note that I'm seeking additional information -- not trying to criticize what PBUC is trying to do).
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Yep,

Bob:

"1) How do you know where "the next potential play" is until the ball is hit (or not), or the runner moves (or not), etc? And, if it's good for an umpire in B or C, why isn't it good for an umpire in A?"

I am not sure that I can explain this as well as my source (perhaps he will drop in):

It is my understanding that the movement is "directional" . . .

This is what I was sent:

"The tweaks that PBUC makes to mechanics create an awesome spectacle. For example, with runners on, every time the catcher prepares to throw the ball back to the pitcher, the BU hustles about four steps towards the base most likely get a throw down, if one happens. And I mean hustle. He is there and back, if the catcher doesn't go, before the pitcher receives the ball."

On the double play I was sent this:

"Second/First double plays. He makes the call at second and gets to within three or four steps of the cut out before the ball gets to F3. To PBUC, distance IS as important as angle."

On the cut-out call:

"The working area is reserved for the second call. Umpires are to be four steps from the cutout at any base (and closer if at all possible) for the first call."

Regards,
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Tim. I think it's clear (at least more so) now. This is just a "test", right? They want to see what calls are helped and what calls are "hurt" by these mechanics tweaks?
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Bob:

The only answer to that is historical:

The area where my source reports from is a geographical area in the US where many, many new rules and PBUC mechanics are alpha tested.

We also recognize that one of the most critical evaluation items new umpires are reviewed by is their ability to make changes that are noted by PBUC evaluators.

These subtle changes were installed in the mechanics AFTER the PBUC school so it could be questioned if ALL first year umpires are being asked to do these additional activites.

Regards,
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Matt:

Regards,
Tim,

Though I admit I wasn't looking for either of these mechanics, over the course of 9 innings I did not pick up on it. I definitely did not see #1 at all, and #2 was not as exaggerated as I believe PBUC is intending it to be, but BU did move slightly more towards the mound while calling the back end of the DP. The BU was an FSL All-Star umpire this year, FWIW. Most of what I noticed BU doing was squaring himself off towards the plate in a GD-esque stance in standard B and C positions, nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Thanks, Tim. I think it's clear (at least more so) now. This is just a "test", right? They want to see what calls are helped and what calls are "hurt" by these mechanics tweaks?
I just completed a three day visit to the Arizona League. There I watched a number of first year professional umpires and interviewed several for a couple of articles.

The articles will confirm Tim's observations and provide more in depth explanations.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 03:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I just completed a three day visit to the Arizona League. There I watched a number of first year professional umpires and interviewed several for a couple of articles.

The articles will confirm Tim's observations and provide more in depth explanations.
That will be beneficial to the 12 people that still belong to the paid site. The rest of us that tie membership to getting a discount on the current year BRD will not be reading.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Then 12 will have an opportunity to discover something new.
I'd love to read this, as well, but you alone aren't worth the annual fee.