The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 08:46pm
Veteran College Umpire

"One thousand one..."

Ya just gotta love announcers. How about tonight's game when Charlie Manual came out to talk to HP umpire Jeff Kellogg - the announcers speculated he was complaining the submariner wasn't pausing in his stretch. Then I heard it - "The pitcher has to stop for "one thousand one"...."

Now THAT'S entertainment!

I could be an announcer when I give up umping...no, I'm over qualified.

JJ
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 08:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Ya just gotta love announcers. How about tonight's game when Charlie Manual came out to talk to HP umpire Jeff Kellogg - the announcers speculated he was complaining the submariner wasn't pausing in his stretch. Then I heard it - "The pitcher has to stop for "one thousand one"...."

JJ
I drank to that one.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I drank to that one.
A Tim McCarver drinking game could be very dangerous to one's health.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
A Tim McCarver drinking game could be very dangerous to one's health.
As dangerous as taking a shot every time Jack Bauer says "DAMMIT!"
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
JJ, don't give up your dreams. By the time you retire from umping you might be of feeble mind. You'd be a perfect fit.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

JJ
No, you are not over qualified, you have an unfortunate connection between the thought portion of your brain to the reasoning portion of your brain. This leads to a process known as intelligence which of course, TV Sports announcers of today do not have any use for.

If you really want to become one of their fold, you will need to consume mass quantities of alcoholic beverages while allowing a plumber to insert a drain snake into your nose, after which, a liberal application of Draino into your cranium will remove any possible trace of thought and reasoning. NOW, you will be qualified to be a TV Sports announcer!

Peace
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

My son and I both almost fell out of the chair when McCarver said that. A full dozen times a game, one of us says "Did you hear that?" What makes it doubly laughable is that he was a catcher! Between him and Joe Morgan, there are probably 10 million recorded words of absolute idiocy when it comes to how the game of baseball is played.

I think there was this coach in a 10-U tournament (when my son was still a little kid) who came out by the foul line and told his pitcher: "You have to come to a complete stop. Do it like this," as he puts his hands together at the belt, and says, "Thousand one."

I swear, before last night that's the only time I have ever heard that said about the pause in a delivery, and I have been a player, coach, manager, scout and umpire for over 40 years.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

The "Think" part of, "Think before you speak" does not hold true for sports announcers. Also, I firmly believe that that are paid by the spoken word, whether they know what they're talking about, or not.

If just ONE commentator ever read a rule book, I'd die a happy man.

Bob
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
My son and I both almost fell out of the chair when McCarver said that. A full dozen times a game, one of us says "Did you hear that?" What makes it doubly laughable is that he was a catcher! Between him and Joe Morgan, there are probably 10 million recorded words of absolute idiocy when it comes to how the game of baseball is played.

I think there was this coach in a 10-U tournament (when my son was still a little kid) who came out by the foul line and told his pitcher: "You have to come to a complete stop. Do it like this," as he puts his hands together at the belt, and says, "Thousand one."

I swear, before last night that's the only time I have ever heard that said about the pause in a delivery, and I have been a player, coach, manager, scout and umpire for over 40 years.

I can understand telling a 10-year-old to say, "Thousand one." That's a good way to make sure the youngster makes a definite stop. Kids at that age are always in a rush to get things done. Schoolwork and chores at home are exempted.

Bob
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

McCarver's supposed to be a baseball expert, and the first thing you and I think of is that his statement relates to the 10-year-old level!
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 01:02pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I can't wait to hear that for the first time in 2009. "Blue, he didn't pause for a second...that's a balk!"
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I can't wait to hear that for the first time in 2009. "Blue, he didn't pause for a second...that's a balk!"
Afterall, if Tim McCarver said it it has to be right.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 03:23pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I heard that at least 5 times last year..."that happend in the game last night and the announcers said..."

It's crazy how the announcers become the authority to the regular public. Scary.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 03:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I heard that at least 5 times last year..."that happend in the game last night and the announcers said..."

It's crazy how the announcers become the authority to the regular public. Scary.
It's even scarier when the public doesn't believe an umpire when he tries to refute what the announcer told them. Happy Halloween with that one!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
It's even scarier when the public doesn't believe an umpire when he tries to refute what the announcer told them. Happy Halloween with that one!
That's because they've "played baseball my whole life!". That's a statement almost as scary as "I never yell at umpires."

Rita