View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
My son and I both almost fell out of the chair when McCarver said that. A full dozen times a game, one of us says "Did you hear that?" What makes it doubly laughable is that he was a catcher! Between him and Joe Morgan, there are probably 10 million recorded words of absolute idiocy when it comes to how the game of baseball is played.

I think there was this coach in a 10-U tournament (when my son was still a little kid) who came out by the foul line and told his pitcher: "You have to come to a complete stop. Do it like this," as he puts his hands together at the belt, and says, "Thousand one."

I swear, before last night that's the only time I have ever heard that said about the pause in a delivery, and I have been a player, coach, manager, scout and umpire for over 40 years.

I can understand telling a 10-year-old to say, "Thousand one." That's a good way to make sure the youngster makes a definite stop. Kids at that age are always in a rush to get things done. Schoolwork and chores at home are exempted.

Bob