The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   "One thousand one..." (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/49619-one-thousand-one.html)

JJ Wed Oct 29, 2008 08:46pm

"One thousand one..."

Ya just gotta love announcers. How about tonight's game when Charlie Manual came out to talk to HP umpire Jeff Kellogg - the announcers speculated he was complaining the submariner wasn't pausing in his stretch. Then I heard it - "The pitcher has to stop for "one thousand one"...."

Now THAT'S entertainment!

I could be an announcer when I give up umping...no, I'm over qualified. :rolleyes:

JJ

Rich Wed Oct 29, 2008 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 546995)
Ya just gotta love announcers. How about tonight's game when Charlie Manual came out to talk to HP umpire Jeff Kellogg - the announcers speculated he was complaining the submariner wasn't pausing in his stretch. Then I heard it - "The pitcher has to stop for "one thousand one"...."

I could be an announcer when I give up umping...no, I'm over qualified. :rolleyes:

JJ

I drank to that one.

SethPDX Wed Oct 29, 2008 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 546996)
I drank to that one.

A Tim McCarver drinking game could be very dangerous to one's health.:)

Pensaump Wed Oct 29, 2008 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 546997)
A Tim McCarver drinking game could be very dangerous to one's health.:)

As dangerous as taking a shot every time Jack Bauer says "DAMMIT!"

waltjp Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:59pm

Quote:

I could be an announcer when I give up umping...no, I'm over qualified.

JJ, don't give up your dreams. By the time you retire from umping you might be of feeble mind. You'd be a perfect fit. ;)

ozzy6900 Thu Oct 30, 2008 06:52am

Quote:

JJ

No, you are not over qualified, you have an unfortunate connection between the thought portion of your brain to the reasoning portion of your brain. This leads to a process known as intelligence which of course, TV Sports announcers of today do not have any use for.

If you really want to become one of their fold, you will need to consume mass quantities of alcoholic beverages while allowing a plumber to insert a drain snake into your nose, after which, a liberal application of Draino into your cranium will remove any possible trace of thought and reasoning. NOW, you will be qualified to be a TV Sports announcer!

Peace

Kevin Finnerty Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:37am

My son and I both almost fell out of the chair when McCarver said that. A full dozen times a game, one of us says "Did you hear that?" What makes it doubly laughable is that he was a catcher! Between him and Joe Morgan, there are probably 10 million recorded words of absolute idiocy when it comes to how the game of baseball is played.

I think there was this coach in a 10-U tournament (when my son was still a little kid) who came out by the foul line and told his pitcher: "You have to come to a complete stop. Do it like this," as he puts his hands together at the belt, and says, "Thousand one."

I swear, before last night that's the only time I have ever heard that said about the pause in a delivery, and I have been a player, coach, manager, scout and umpire for over 40 years.

bluezebra Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:47am

The "Think" part of, "Think before you speak" does not hold true for sports announcers. Also, I firmly believe that that are paid by the spoken word, whether they know what they're talking about, or not.

If just ONE commentator ever read a rule book, I'd die a happy man.

Bob

bluezebra Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 547135)
My son and I both almost fell out of the chair when McCarver said that. A full dozen times a game, one of us says "Did you hear that?" What makes it doubly laughable is that he was a catcher! Between him and Joe Morgan, there are probably 10 million recorded words of absolute idiocy when it comes to how the game of baseball is played.

I think there was this coach in a 10-U tournament (when my son was still a little kid) who came out by the foul line and told his pitcher: "You have to come to a complete stop. Do it like this," as he puts his hands together at the belt, and says, "Thousand one."

I swear, before last night that's the only time I have ever heard that said about the pause in a delivery, and I have been a player, coach, manager, scout and umpire for over 40 years.

I can understand telling a 10-year-old to say, "Thousand one." That's a good way to make sure the youngster makes a definite stop. Kids at that age are always in a rush to get things done. Schoolwork and chores at home are exempted.

Bob

Kevin Finnerty Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:23am

McCarver's supposed to be a baseball expert, and the first thing you and I think of is that his statement relates to the 10-year-old level! :D

johnnyg08 Thu Oct 30, 2008 01:02pm

I can't wait to hear that for the first time in 2009. "Blue, he didn't pause for a second...that's a balk!"

Emperor Ump Thu Oct 30, 2008 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 547226)
I can't wait to hear that for the first time in 2009. "Blue, he didn't pause for a second...that's a balk!"

Afterall, if Tim McCarver said it it has to be right.

johnnyg08 Thu Oct 30, 2008 03:23pm

I heard that at least 5 times last year..."that happend in the game last night and the announcers said..."

It's crazy how the announcers become the authority to the regular public. Scary.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Oct 30, 2008 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 547324)
I heard that at least 5 times last year..."that happend in the game last night and the announcers said..."

It's crazy how the announcers become the authority to the regular public. Scary.

It's even scarier when the public doesn't believe an umpire when he tries to refute what the announcer told them. Happy Halloween with that one!:rolleyes:

Rita C Thu Oct 30, 2008 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 547338)
It's even scarier when the public doesn't believe an umpire when he tries to refute what the announcer told them. Happy Halloween with that one!:rolleyes:

That's because they've "played baseball my whole life!". That's a statement almost as scary as "I never yell at umpires."

Rita