The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
What difference does it make who owns them? And if it makes no difference, why bother dropping the name?

The last time I wrote about "an MLB umpire" doing such and such I was challenged for not being specific. This time I was specific and I am challenged for not being generic.

I'm sorry professor. I'll try to find a third method to communicate next time, one that might suit you better.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 04:34pm

Ump153,

The only thing wrong with naming a major league umpire in a post is that it makes people that don't know any major league umpires jealous of your association with said umpire. What we think is just being factual about having a certain conversation, or working with a certain big league umpire, etc., other people perceive as "name dropping," which is not necessarily the case. Every time I've ever mentioned a situation involving a MLB player or umpire I've officiated/worked with, I get a bunch of static from the peanut gallery, as if it's a sin to mention knowing these people personally. Some people don't know the difference between having acquantances and jock sniffing.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman View Post
Reebok owns CCM and they have been using plastic in their hockey skates for years. I dont forsee a problem.
Tell that to NHL fans after Reebok redesigned all the jerseys (if you can find a hockey fan)

I don't know; I would think most serious umpires would want the steel toe. But let's see what the feedback is after they've been on the market.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
The last time I wrote about "an MLB umpire" doing such and such I was challenged for not being specific. This time I was specific and I am challenged for not being generic.

I'm sorry professor. I'll try to find a third method to communicate next time, one that might suit you better.
When someone makes a claim and refers to a source, it matters who the source is. Then it's reasonable to "challenge" the claim until the source and the source's credibility is known.

If you're making a claim about shoes, then the identity of the shoes' owner isn't really relevant.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sat Nov 01, 2008 at 07:10pm.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I'd rather see a carbon fiber or ceramic toe and instep, but I'm sure it's a trickle down from the industrial shoe folks.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
...but I'm sure it's a trickle down from the industrial shoe folks.
There are non-metallic composite toe industrial shoes that meet the I/C-75 and ASTM F2413-05 standards. Those are the same standards used for steel toe industrial shoes, so the technology is out there.

If someone came up with composite toe plate shoes that met those standards, I would not hesitate to wear them. Until then, no way. That said, I'm willing to bet there are a few cheap steel toe plate shoes that don't meet those standards.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman View Post
The samples the MLB guys received are steel toe. Mine are steel toe as well. The new ones will have a plastic toe. Reebok owns CCM and they have been using plastic in their hockey skates for years. I dont forsee a problem. As far as comfort.... equal to NB...but I like the low-top feel of the Reebok.
There's a big difference between a skate and a shoe--the entire lower of a skate is one piece, thus enhancing the structural integrity and the ability to transmit force from an impact of a fast-moving hard object. Plate shoes, OTOH, only have the toe as an integral reinforced element, with no ability to transmit force elsewhere.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Tell that to NHL fans after Reebok redesigned all the jerseys (if you can find a hockey fan)
Hey!!!

I don't mind the looks of them, but finding one for my own wearing is a pain--they just don't feel like they fit right.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
New Balance

No Brainer
if they only made them big enough for my waterski's then the above would be true.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hey!!!

I don't mind the looks of them, but finding one for my own wearing is a pain--they just don't feel like they fit right.
I've never tried one on, but I don't like any NHL team enough to spend what the new ones cost. My local team is the Winter Hawks (WHL major junior) so that's really the only team I've followed. I've just got a few of the old replica jerseys I liked along with some Hawks sweaters.

And on the topic of shoes: I need some new plate shoes so I'll be trying the New Balances next season.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
if they only made them big enough for my waterski's then the above would be true.
Have you tried going into one of the New Balance Stores. I was told by a friend who is a runner with big feet they can order sizes not typically available.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

NBEXPRESS.COM carries them big....

griff

American by birth...Christian by choice.....

NRA life member
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
When someone makes a claim and refers to a source, it matters who the source is. Then it's reasonable to "challenge" the claim until the source and the source's credibility is known.

If you're making a claim about shoes, then the identity of the shoes' owner isn't really relevant.
The way to keep a source is to not reveal the source. To anyone, ever.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
They have them in 14 EEEE for crying out loud.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

This is the shoe??

They must be kidding. Again, I must say:

New Balance

No Brainer