The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 03:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I had all but forgotten the whole thing, when some lame poster decided it was a good idea to remind me about my little tirade weeks later on the baseball board. He felt it necessary to rehash the whole thing, and I merely stood up for my post and defended my actions.
Is this vvvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame poster
Yeah, with some inane post about Ed Hochuli on the football boards.
what you "call rehashing the whole thing"? Me thinks someone has a problem with hyperbole.

Now, below would be the "inane post" referenced above and some lame poster's response to that "inane post". I really love the reference to ESPN sportcasters and how the ball slipping out of Cutler's hand is somehow a great play by the SD defense.

Quote:
Well, everyone is piling on the Chargers fan here. I never said Hochuli wasn't human, I just said he cost the Chargers the game. Which he did. It wasn't the Chargers porous defense or any other "if" scenarios posted. The Chargers recovered what should have been a fumble. They shouldn't have been put in the situation to let Cutler get another chance to score and then go for two. That should have never occurred. What led up to the score being what it was is irrelevant. The call cost them the ball, and cost them the game because they would have easily ran out the clock. Game over.

And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport, so stop trying to defend Hochuli as "being human." He's a human that cost the Chargers the game, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Every sportscaster on ESPN seem to agree. What the defense did or didn't do earlier in the game all came down to a great play by the defense being overturned by a BAD CALL. Does San Diego need to improve on defense? Of course they do, but it isn't the reason they lost this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I peruse the Baseball forum. Anytime anyone blames an umpire for a loss or for costing his team a run that person gets ripped. Guess it's just a different standard for other sports, right?
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 04:04pm
In Memoriam

Play nicely.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 04:05pm

See what I mean. Just can't quit beating the dead horse. That post belongs over on the football boards, so why are you bringing it back to life over here?

The great play by the Chargers was the recovery of the fumble, errrrrr...incomplete pass. And not only the ESPN sportscasters, but Jim Rome, Dan Patrick, J.T. The Brick, every local, state and national talk show host, plus every rational human being on the planet familiar with the play said the call cost the Chargers the game. Face it, it did.

NOW GET OFF MY A$S!

P.S. Notice how I didn't say "us" or "we?" I don't play for the Chargers.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
So................

Why can't we in an attempt to be sure we don't make a similar terrible call, mention someone in the professional ranks by name, without fear of censorship?

Just what is being protected here. Is it the integrity of the forum, or a perceived reputation of a man paid to take a large amount of scrutiny. Doug Eddings poor mechanics were all but crucified here two years ago. It's my opinion that we all benefited from those discussions. I now have to wonder that had Eddings been acquainted with the moderators of this forum whether or not that discussion would have been heavy handed and quashed in the name of forum preservation. This whole thing was handled in the poorest of form!

Tim Haag.

Secretary - North Central Indiana Umpires Association.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See what I mean. Just can't quit beating the dead horse. That post belongs over on the football boards, so why are you bringing it back to life over here?
Exactly. I remember the original discussion over the Hochuli call. I found the reference to a post about that several weeks later in a baseball thread to be totally unnecessary. That is, unless people have yet to get beyond what was said back then...
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, I'll raise my hand here.

If I recall correctly, I used the term "Hochulied" to describe a blown call by a baseball umpire, and thus started this brush fire. Being from San Diego, and a Chargers fan, it was a just a little local humor. So sorry if it twisted anyone's nipples out of joint.

But honestly, y'all need to.....

Last edited by kylejt; Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 07:28pm.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Kevin,
Nobody disagrees with you.
The apology was made.
The posts are gone.
Please allow this subject to rest in peace.
Thanks.
mick
Uh, sorry, but there is a very broad issue that involves others and not just myself and my posts. Sorry you see things through a narrow lens. Tim C. got taken for a ride and it created an examination of some unfair practices. Excuse making aside.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Lmao

I like to bring a bit of humor when I can when. I finally stopped lurking and joined this forum to mix things up a little. But this is rediculous.

Just like Hacksaw Hamilton's hair...

Oh yeah...Lighten up Francis stands the test of time....CLASSIC
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 09:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Uh, sorry, but there is a very broad issue that involves others and not just myself and my posts. Sorry you see things through a narrow lens. Tim C. got taken for a ride and it created an examination of some unfair practices. Excuse making aside.
Yeah, I cannot disagree with you.
I don't get out much.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Well, the posts everyone's talking about got deleted before I got online, so (if we're quoting movies) "I have NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!" You have to get up pretty early in the morning to read the "good" posts.

And Stripes is one of my favorites. That's just one of the good lines in it.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Well, the posts everyone's talking about got deleted before I got online, so (if we're quoting movies) "I have NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!" You have to get up pretty early in the morning to read the "good" posts.

And Stripes is one of my favorites. That's just one of the good lines in it.
Take one step back Winger...Move it...

That's why the guys in the auto club call me the Cruiser...

There was one?

You got a 6-8 week training plan..Which is perfect for me..
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PS2MAN,
Each forum has a different personality.
Thus, each will be moderated differently.

Apparently, face guarding is also called differently.
You are probably right. The only issue is the very same person did the closing or deleting of discussions. Maybe he was having a bad day as started earlier.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2Man View Post
You are probably right. The only issue is the very same person did the closing or deleting of discussions. Maybe he was having a bad day as started earlier.
It is a trying time, but he'll make it.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I cannot disagree with you.
I don't get out much.
It's all good.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Why do some folks get so worked up by what others tap out on a keyboard?
Closed Thread