View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
about the WS umpires, Jeff Kellog's great call at first tonight goes unnoticed.

They are PAID BIG BUCKS to make those calls.

IMO, MLB umpires should be held to a high standard and IMO this umpiring crew has simply been awful.

The strike zone - It might as well be redefined and the PU's look like they are auditioning for an acting career.

It's one thing to emphatically punch out the batter on a called 3rd strike. It's quite another to do a dance routine on top of it.

As for Welke - Someone upstairs must be shining brightly upon him. He has simply been awful to say the least.

If this had been the LLWS instead of the MLBWS, this Forum along with many others would be buzzing with bashings. The word "Smitty" might have even been uttered.

What we are seeing is a major flaw in the process of assigning officials at the BIG League level.

We are NOT getting what is supposed to be the Best of the Best. There are most likely guys in the minor leagues "cringing' watching these performances and not having the opportunity to get their shot.

Unlike football officials, MLB umpiring is a full time job and one would think that there is a better product MLB can put out there.

If this was OUR shot at say a HS varsity regional game, NCAA Division one game or any other high level type assignment, and we were that bad, that would most likely be our one and only chance and a high level game, but in MLB these guys are for the most part there for life.

So yeah Kellog made a great call but he is supposed to that's why one should get a WS assignment.

I am surprised Buck / McCarver didn't mention that IR should be expanded especially when Welke flat out missed the call. He's lucky Lou Pinella was not still coaching the Rays.

FWIW I am NOT a Rays fan so I could care less who wins.

Pete Booth

Last edited by PeteBooth; Mon Oct 27, 2008 at 09:31am.