The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

I done Smitty'ed it

Ok..late Sat. nite I got the call to do a fall ball one man for Connie Mack..
All's well when I get to the field Sunday morning, and discover I left all my clothes in the dryer at home..
It was one of those foggy mornings in the northwest and my car was covered in dew, so I didn't notice that my clothes weren't hanging in the back seat before I took off..I was so far away from home, I had no chance to make it back in time before gametime..
Did the game in my shorts(had underarmor at least), and had that famous red jersey(for 4th of July only) which I had in the trunk...
Decent crowd and no one got on me, had some good bangers and called a decent game(we always do when we are alone)..but I sure felt like an idiot...

Before you get on me for doing one-man, the pay was decent - 82 bucks.

Hope you guys get a laugh..glad the camera's (to my knowledge) weren't rolling...
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
All's well when I get to the field Sunday morning, and discover I left all my clothes in the dryer at home..
It was one of those foggy mornings in the northwest and my car was covered in dew, so I didn't notice that my clothes weren't hanging in the back seat before I took off..I was so far away from home, I had no chance to make it back in time before gametime..
Did the game in my shorts(had underarmor at least), and had that famous red jersey(for 4th of July only) which I had in the trunk...
Decent crowd and no one got on me, had some good bangers and called a decent game(we always do when we are alone)..but I sure felt like an idiot...

Hope you guys get a laugh..glad the camera's (to my knowledge) weren't rolling...

The only folks I've ever heard talk about how the umpires were dressed are other umpires.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

This is one of the reasons I never keep my gear in the car (I learned the same lesson decades ago). I usually pack the night before and load up the car before I head to the field. On the rare occasions that I may have to head to a game directly from work, I make sure that everything is packed the night before. I then load the car in the wee hours just before I head into work. All of the gear, shirts and accessories go into a large Rubbermaid travel case. Plate coat and pullover are in a garment bag. Plate shoes and base shoes are in a large shoe bag. Add a folding chair and I am ready to go.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 07:52am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:

whenever I leave my car w/ my gear to ride w/ my partner, I always fear leaving something important behind...I've dodged a few bullets in a past few years...
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:49am
Veteran College Umpire

Talking

Quote:

I used to have this recurring dream at the start of the season, and then I started keeping an extra set of gear in the car just in case. Then I rode with a buddy to a game and.....

JJ
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Carry paper towels or a rag in your car. Wipe your windows. It also makes for safer drivng if you can see out of the windows, as well as in.

Bob
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My only question is....did you pay the beer fine?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have a small white rubbermaid box/basket that I keep an extra pair of pants and an extra shirt and a variety of other extra equipment in case I forget something. I'm always diving into it at least once a season.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Nigel:

A nightmare come true: ME?! a SMITTY?!!!
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
My only question is....did you pay the beer fine?
As it was one-man, I drained my own sorrows alone...
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As it was one-man, I drained my own sorrows alone...
Presumably after you drowned them?
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 10:58am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Presumably after you drowned them?
Well the sorrows do have to go somewhere ya know. A bladder can only hold so much.