The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   I done Smitty'ed it (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/49157-i-done-smittyed.html)

Nigel Tufnel Mon Sep 29, 2008 08:38pm

I done Smitty'ed it

Ok..late Sat. nite I got the call to do a fall ball one man for Connie Mack..
All's well when I get to the field Sunday morning, and discover I left all my clothes in the dryer at home..
It was one of those foggy mornings in the northwest and my car was covered in dew, so I didn't notice that my clothes weren't hanging in the back seat before I took off..I was so far away from home, I had no chance to make it back in time before gametime..
Did the game in my shorts(had underarmor at least), and had that famous red jersey(for 4th of July only) which I had in the trunk...
Decent crowd and no one got on me, had some good bangers and called a decent game(we always do when we are alone)..but I sure felt like an idiot...

Before you get on me for doing one-man, the pay was decent - 82 bucks.

Hope you guys get a laugh..glad the camera's (to my knowledge) weren't rolling...

Rich Ives Mon Sep 29, 2008 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel (Post 540133)
All's well when I get to the field Sunday morning, and discover I left all my clothes in the dryer at home..
It was one of those foggy mornings in the northwest and my car was covered in dew, so I didn't notice that my clothes weren't hanging in the back seat before I took off..I was so far away from home, I had no chance to make it back in time before gametime..
Did the game in my shorts(had underarmor at least), and had that famous red jersey(for 4th of July only) which I had in the trunk...
Decent crowd and no one got on me, had some good bangers and called a decent game(we always do when we are alone)..but I sure felt like an idiot...

Hope you guys get a laugh..glad the camera's (to my knowledge) weren't rolling...

:D The only folks I've ever heard talk about how the umpires were dressed are other umpires.

ozzy6900 Tue Sep 30, 2008 05:47am

This is one of the reasons I never keep my gear in the car (I learned the same lesson decades ago). I usually pack the night before and load up the car before I head to the field. On the rare occasions that I may have to head to a game directly from work, I make sure that everything is packed the night before. I then load the car in the wee hours just before I head into work. All of the gear, shirts and accessories go into a large Rubbermaid travel case. Plate coat and pullover are in a garment bag. Plate shoes and base shoes are in a large shoe bag. Add a folding chair and I am ready to go.

johnnyg08 Tue Sep 30, 2008 07:52am

Quote:

whenever I leave my car w/ my gear to ride w/ my partner, I always fear leaving something important behind...I've dodged a few bullets in a past few years...

JJ Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:49am

Quote:

I used to have this recurring dream at the start of the season, and then I started keeping an extra set of gear in the car just in case. Then I rode with a buddy to a game and.....:D

JJ

bluezebra Tue Sep 30, 2008 06:14pm

Carry paper towels or a rag in your car. Wipe your windows. It also makes for safer drivng if you can see out of the windows, as well as in.

Bob

justanotherblue Tue Sep 30, 2008 06:23pm

Quote:

My only question is....did you pay the beer fine?

bossman72 Tue Sep 30, 2008 08:30pm

I have a small white rubbermaid box/basket that I keep an extra pair of pants and an extra shirt and a variety of other extra equipment in case I forget something. I'm always diving into it at least once a season.

Rcichon Wed Oct 01, 2008 08:16am

Nigel:

A nightmare come true: ME?! a SMITTY?!!!:eek:

Nigel Tufnel Wed Oct 01, 2008 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotherblue (Post 540349)
My only question is....did you pay the beer fine?

As it was one-man, I drained my own sorrows alone...

mbyron Thu Oct 02, 2008 06:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel (Post 540641)
As it was one-man, I drained my own sorrows alone...

Presumably after you drowned them? :D

Welpe Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 540666)
Presumably after you drowned them? :D

Well the sorrows do have to go somewhere ya know. A bladder can only hold so much. :)