The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Apparently we do not have to

Last nights Phillies / Mets game

Phillies batter at the plate and checks his swing. The Mets Schneider asks PU Jerry Meals (Mr. Controversy himself) to check with the BU for help.

Jerry Meals refused. I am surprised Manual didn't come out. According to the rule there is no "wiggle room" as it says PU MUST refer to the BU for his judgement on the half swing. I guess there should be another comment at the end of the rule meaning EXCEPT if your name is Jerry Meals.

MLB rules are becoming more like FED then we think.

First we had the debacle in the Mets / Braves game in which a call was reversed then rectified by Crew chief Gerry Davis by retroactively declaring the ball dead upon the call reversal.

Now we have a PU refusing to check with his partner on a check swing.

Therefore, in an OBR based game we do not HAVE to check with the BU as evidenced by last nights game.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 08:48am
Stop staring at me swan.

interesting...I think in OBR games, I'll still ask my partner...as I'm sure you will to...right PB?
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

my .02

Its not going to change my process........I've never had a problem with this. someone wants me to check, I go..........what is the worst thing that can happen?........we get another strike!!
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 10:21am
Stop staring at me swan.

good point...typically I will ask before the defense...esp on a close one that I know they're going to appeal anyway. i agree w/ you.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
interesting...I think in OBR games, I'll still ask my partner...as I'm sure you will to...right PB?
Yes I check but my point was that it has been stressed on many an umpire Forum that in an NCAA or OBR based game the PU MUST not SHALL grant the check swing appeal.

Jerry Meals is not the first PU to not grant the appeal.

if that is the case then the rule should be re-worded.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Yes I check but my point was that it has been stressed on many an umpire Forum that in an NCAA or OBR based game the PU MUST not SHALL grant the check swing appeal.

Jerry Meals is not the first PU to not grant the appeal.

if that is the case then the rule should be re-worded.

Pete Booth
Or, maybe he was just "wrong". Or, maybe it was some sort of "game management" call (or some version of an FYC) ...
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
There is no difference between the two words, in modern English, with regards to the obligation they put on the object of the verb.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 11:02am

Okay, for UMP25 I will start out by saying I didn't see the play!

Perhaps the check swing was not a "half swing" as the rule requires. I have seen many catchers ask for a check swing appeal when the batter barely moved the bat or moved his shoulders a little. The catcher, busy catching the ball, thinks that the batter made an attempt, when it is obvious to everyone there that he did not even come close to a "half swing," much less an actual attempt.

I don't ask my partner when it's obviously not close to even a checked swing, even in OBR. I've never had a coach insist on asking on one of these obvious non-attempts.

Also, the rule states that the manager cannot complain about the ball or strike call, but can only complain that the umpire did not ask for help. Well, go ahead and complain. That's all the manager can do is complain. There is no other proscribed penalty for the umpire.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25