The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 09:26pm
Michael Taylor

Mark:
I don't see anything in the Fed baseball book for restricting players to the dugout. The way I read it it only pertains to coaches. Anything listing offenses by players is warn and eject. Am I missing something?
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 10:25pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Taylor
Mark:
I don't see anything in the Fed baseball book for restricting players to the dugout. The way I read it it only pertains to coaches. Anything listing offenses by players is warn and eject. Am I missing something?

Only the NFHS would muddy the waters over jewelry.

NFHS Baseball Rules R3-S3-A1c: A coach, player, substitute, attendant orother bench personnel shall not wear jewelry (players participating in the game). PENALTY; At the end of playing action, the umpire shall issue a warnng to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected.

NFHS Softball Rules R1-S1-A9: Players in the game are prohibited from wearing jewelry such as rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, (including cloth or string types), barrettes or other cosmetic or decratvieitems that are hard. Medical-alert bracelets or necklaces are not considered jewelry. If worn, they must be taped to the body, so as to remain visible. All casts, splints and braces must be padded. Prostheses may be worn. Any equipment judged by the umpire to be potentially dangerous is illegal. PENALTY: If a player violates the jewelry rule, the umpire shall issue a team warning. Any subsequent offender oon that team shall be restricted to the dugout for the duration of the game.

The NFHS cannot even make that rule consistent between the two sports.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat May 04, 2002, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Coach:

A while back, I belonged to a different association known to produce some real red-*** umpires. Then, if a player showed up with jewelry, we warned the team against further similar displays, after ejecting the coach.

Why eject the coach? Remember when the ump asked: "Are all your players legally equipped?" To that association, a player with jewelry was evidence that the coach lied, provided he answered "yes" to the question.

Thankfully, my current association is little more enlightened. I just thought I'd related this to you to show you things can be worse.

GB
How did your previous association get away with this? It's a blatant violation of FED rules.

Bob
Old Sun May 05, 2002, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

re: "Why eject the coach? Remember when the ump asked: "Are all your players legally equipped?" To that association, a player with jewelry was evidence that the coach lied, provided he answered "yes" to the question."

...sounds like this came from my recent game - post:
"Taking damaged equipment out of play....

I might just have to try this approach, if I have a coach pull a similar stunt! Seems that even if they use the old "to the best of my knowledge" remark, and jewelry shows up; then, someone did not check their players.....