The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
OBR Rules

Is this a balk?
Babe Ruth 13 year olds. Bases loaded. RH pitcher is in windup position. Pitcher steps with his non-pivot foot across his body towards third and fakes a throw towards third base. I balk him for making a movement towards home.

Rule 8.01 gives 3 things that a pitcher can do from the windup position. One is to throw to a base in an attempt to pick off the runner. I can't figure how a pitcher can throw towards a base in attempt to pick off a runner, without making a move towards home. UNLESS, he disengages the rubber with his pivot foot first. Am I missing the obvious here?

-
jumpmaster al
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

If a pitcher is in the windup position as you state, before he can throw to base, he must disengage the rubber.Otherwise, a balk.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krobs
If a pitcher is in the windup position as you state, before he can throw to base, he must disengage the rubber.Otherwise, a balk.
That's the FED rule, Krobs; under OBR a pitcher can throw to a base (to make a play) from the wind-up.

In this situation presented, if the pitcher's actions were immediate, continuous, and directly at third, it's a legal attempt.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments. I new in FED rules it was a balk. I guess in OBR this is what is meant by "distance and direction".

--
Jumpmaster Al
Old Sun May 05, 2002, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I don't know what rules you are playing under. However, if you are playing under Major League Baseball rules here is the ruling. Rule 8.05-If there is a runner, or runners it is a balk when- (c) The pitcher, while touching his plate, fails to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base; but does not require him to throw (except to first base only) because he steps. It is possible, with runners on first and third , for the pitcher to step toward third and not throw, merely to bluff the runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and throw to first base. This is legal. Hope this helps. -Dave