The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Replay question

Lets use Houston as an example with the yellow lines in the outfield. Bases loaded 2 outs ball hits the outfield wall careens past the outfielders (however outfielders give up on the ball when they see the HR signal or they don't see the signal and hustle after the ball) in such a way that all three runners will score BR will have at least a double and probably a triple. However umpires signal home run. Crew chief decides to review and reverses the home run call. How many runs will score and where will the BR be placed? Will the fact that the outfielders either saw or didn't see the HR signal be an issue concerning the placement of BR and the runners?
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 10:49am
Stop staring at me swan.

I don't see a difference...the crew chief will place the runners...more than likely a ground rule double...much like the lodged ball in the ivy rules...if the defense stops, the offense will circle the bases...it's easier to send runners back than try and place them using the so-called crystal ball of "what would've happened"

You bring up a good point though...it will be interesting to see...my guess is that it will rarely be used and we'll probably learn that the umps are right way more than they're wrong...remember espn only shows the close ones that they miss...there are hundreds of close plays that they get right each night which don't make the highlights...
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
more than likely a ground rule double...much like the lodged ball in the ivy rules..
It will NOT be a "ground rule (sic) double." It will be up to the umpires to determine. "Spectator interference" is a more apt analogy.

The umpire will consider the speed of the runners, the location to which the ball was hit, how it bouded away, etc.

I agree that *most* of the time, BR will be awarded two bases -- after all, that's what *usually* happens on a ball hit to the wall.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 11:53am
Stop staring at me swan.

thanks for fixing my "GRD" term...that was the wrong term to use.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It will NOT be a "ground rule (sic) double." It will be up to the umpires to determine. "Spectator interference" is a more apt analogy.

The umpire will consider the speed of the runners, the location to which the ball was hit, how it bouded away, etc.

I agree that *most* of the time, BR will be awarded two bases -- after all, that's what *usually* happens on a ball hit to the wall.
I agree. Somewhere down the line as per my post it's going happen and be the difference between a win and a loss.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
Will the fact that the outfielders either saw or didn't see the HR signal be an issue concerning the placement of BR and the runners?
No. The umpires will place the runners as if it were an ordinary 2-base hit off the wall. With bases loaded, either 2 or 3 runs will score -- usually 3, unless R1 is a truck.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 03:01pm
Stop staring at me swan.

if there are 2 outs...prolly 3 runs...I wouldn't automatically score a runner from 1B w/ < 2 outs, but that's just me.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 03:02pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
I agree. Somewhere down the line as per my post it's going happen and be the difference between a win and a loss.
doesn't that happened right now?
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 04:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
doesn't that happened right now?
Huh? What? Beg your pardon?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
No. The umpires will place the runners as if it were an ordinary 2-base hit off the wall. With bases loaded, either 2 or 3 runs will score -- usually 3, unless R1 is a truck.
Precisely my point does R1 score or is R1 placed on third. A play similar to this (don't recall how many were on base) involving Giovani Soto of the Cubs. Ball careened off the wall (by the yellow line) and Soto got an inside the park HR. Replay indicated it was a HR.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

I think we'll see a lot of plays where the ball hits off the wall NOT ruled a HR, just to see where the runners end up. Then they'll kill it, look at IR, and if it was a HR make the award. That way they'll minimize the judgment calls of placing the runners.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

This would make the most sense, but would only fuel the pro-IR fans: If the umpires are no longer mandated to make an "instant" call on everything, then replay should be on everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I think we'll see a lot of plays where the ball hits off the wall NOT ruled a HR, just to see where the runners end up. Then they'll kill it, look at IR, and if it was a HR make the award. That way they'll minimize the judgment calls of placing the runners.